Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 09:31 AM

27 posts, read 67,831 times

Advertisements

We liked a house in Middletown – it is off of Newfield Street, close to the area where all the car dealerships are. It looks like a good neighborhood; I’ll appreciate if people can give their opinion on this area in Middletown.

We like the house but are still debating of we should wait to find some similar houses in Newington, Wethersfield, Rocky Hill – I have heard better things about these towns considering safety, better schools and in general. But this house does look nice – its such a difficult decision as its going to be long term one. It won’t be like living in apartments anymore, where one can easily move around

Mill rate is higher in Middletown too which I guess is because it’s a city..hmmm. Well, if anyone lives or has lived around in this part of Middletown, please share your experience.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:02 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Middletown is just fine if you are single or a couple. But, do you have kids? If so, I would definitely wait it out and look for a home in those other towns you mentioned (Rocky Hill, Wethersfield, Newington). I'd add Cromwell to that list, too. I say this because the schools are significantly better.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:19 AM

Hi nep321,

We don't have kids yet but in a year or two maybe!! 5-6 years is the time we are thinking we'll be in this house and hopefully move after that...

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchhillar View Post
Hi nep321,

We don't have kids yet but in a year or two maybe!! 5-6 years is the time we are thinking we'll be in this house and hopefully move after that...

Thanks!
Well then, I think of Middletown as a decent town for a starter home. It's not really a town where families go to settle permanently. It's mostly young professionals, minorities and lower income people. I would say go for it, but when it comes time to send your kids to school, move out. The southern half of the town is generally more quiet, open and picturesque. The northwestern part is where most of the young professionals and shopping centers are concentrated. But compared to other towns it is significantly more affordable.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:49 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well then, I think of Middletown as a decent town for a starter home. It's not really a town where families go to settle permanently. It's mostly young professionals, minorities and lower income people. .
Umm. No.

Middletown has some lower income areas, lots of middle income areas (such as the area you're looking at, OP), and even some rather upscale areas (out on the edge of town near Berlin). Many families settle here for generations.

OP-the area you're looking at, is nice and quiet and centrally located. The schools in the area are pretty good at elementary level. The high school's rep has improved recently, however, the middle school can be rough. Some people choose a magnet school, or private schools, for that age.

The other towns you mentioned are very nice. You will get more house for your money in Middletown, but it is a small city-vs suburban like the other towns. The other towns do have better reputations for their schools. I've had good experiences with my kids' educations here, however.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Umm. No.

Middletown has some lower income areas, lots of middle income areas (such as the area you're looking at, OP), and even some rather upscale areas (out on the edge of town near Berlin). Many families settle here for generations.

OP-the area you're looking at, is nice and quiet and centrally located. The schools in the area are pretty good at elementary level. The high school's rep has improved recently, however, the middle school can be rough. Some people choose a magnet school, or private schools, for that age.

The other towns you mentioned are very nice. You will get more house for your money in Middletown, but it is a small city-vs suburban like the other towns. The other towns do have better reputations for their schools. I've had good experiences with my kids' educations here, however.
Well, Rocky Hill, Cromwell and Wethersfield all have better schools than Middletown, no doubt. I still recommend Middletown to the OP, but for the long term there are plenty of better options as far as raising a family goes, IMO.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,947 times
Unhappy Middletown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchhillar View Post
We liked a house in Middletown – it is off of Newfield Street, close to the area where all the car dealerships are. It looks like a good neighborhood; I’ll appreciate if people can give their opinion on this area in Middletown.

We like the house but are still debating of we should wait to find some similar houses in Newington, Wethersfield, Rocky Hill – I have heard better things about these towns considering safety, better schools and in general. But this house does look nice – its such a difficult decision as its going to be long term one. It won’t be like living in apartments anymore, where one can easily move around

Mill rate is higher in Middletown too which I guess is because it’s a city..hmmm. Well, if anyone lives or has lived around in this part of Middletown, please share your experience.

Thanks!
Middletown is nice by day...but all the stumbling drunkards come out by night. Pretty sad.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:12 AM

Thanks wanderintonc and nep321 , your comments sure help! We are planning to stay in this house for 5-6 years only and as wanderintonc mentioned the elementary schools are fine so it makes me comfortable in a situation where we have to be in this house for little longer than 6 yrs.

We have decided to go with this house, hopefully it will be a good experience keeping my fingers crossed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut