Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:46 AM

8 posts, read 40,692 times

Advertisements

We are moving to CT and my husband will be commuting to one of the banks in Stamford, right by the train station. We've narrowed down to Westport or New Canaan, and I'm just trying to learn more about each of them. Any insights you have on either town is useful- good, bad or ugly!

But specifically, can you tell me:

1. What is the "vibe" of each of the towns, if you know?

2. Which draws more of a ex-NYC crowd, and do you know why?

3. For Wesport, commuting on 95 will be an issue, so do you know if it's realistic to sort of take "back roads" or, roads like Route 1 or something, for the majority of the trip between Westport and Stamford?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 9,477 times
I have never been before at those places

Last edited by JayCT; 08-18-2010 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: Removed link

Old 08-18-2010, 03:42 PM

18 posts, read 28,887 times
1. Westport is a bit more laid back. More of an artsy crowd. New Canaan, def. more of a Stepford Wife vibe. Both towns are lovely places to raise families with pressure cooker style public school systems.

2. My guess would be when you say ex-NYCer's you mean cool people who used to live in the city and had kids? Gotta be more Westporters that fit that bill.

3. If you take route 1 from Westport to Stamford you might as well walk during heavy commute times. Any road going north to south in the AM or vice versa in the PM will be a parking lot. Merrit. 95. Route 1.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:23 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Both are popular homes for New York City transplants who left the city or elsewhere. They both have many people who commute INTO Manhattan everyday, both are home to many wealthy hedge fund managers, both are expensive and wealthy towns with excellent schools and nice downtown areas.

Westport is more of a liberal, artsy town and it's on the shoreline and ther'es some real nice views here. The art scene here is popular and well supported. It's a bit further to Stamford (and Manhattan as well) but not that far. New Canaan is also really nice, minus the liberal, artsy vibe - much more Republican both fiscally and politically. I think it also might be a bit more expenisve than Westport - not that Westport is a bargain!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:32 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,436 times
The commute to Stamford is far easier from New Canaan. Heading to Stamford from Westport in the morning is not pleasant nor is the reverse commute. My three daughters went through the NC school system and had very good experiences. New Canaan is what you make of it. You can choose the Stepford route or be a bit more normal. Lots of family, church opportunities.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:24 PM

11 posts, read 42,178 times
Westport is more liberal and artsy, but it is by no means a liberal, artsy or hip place.

Both are lovely towns with great schools and facilities. You really can't go wrong with either. It really comes down to time and money.

New Canaan is a much easier commute to Stamford. Westport tends to be less expensive, but the housing stock in NC, in general, is nicer and you get more land. What's your budget?

Old 08-22-2010, 07:33 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowita View Post
Westport is more liberal and artsy, but it is by no means a liberal, artsy or hip place.
This is obviously highly subjective. Regarding Westport:

I guess it's not hip to the emo-kid, scene, fashionista, ennui-having, angst-ridden poetry writing crowd.

However, many artists-- writers, actors, painters, etc-- call it home. It has a nice local arts scene, excellent schools, and a concerned populace. Many are involved in philanthropy. Westport has a great restaurant scene with everything from hole-in-the-wall local joints to world-class dining. To me it's pretty hip, but I guess to some, nothing can be as hip as their skinny-jeans.

Westport IS pretty liberal. That's less subjective.

I am looking forward to living here again.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:10 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Westport IS pretty liberal. That's less subjective.
True;

6,306 Democrats
4,908 Republicans
6,180 Unaffiliated

Town of Westport, Connecticut - Registration Statistics (http://www.westportct.gov/residents/voting/registration.htm - broken link)

Old 08-23-2010, 06:42 AM

173 posts, read 351,768 times
Westport is also a lot bigger and closer to SONO and other more diverse areas. It does still have a bit of a Talbot's vibe, but I think that's changed somewhat over the years. It's true that your commute won't be fun, but on a day-to-day basis you'll have easier access to shopping, artsy films (the Avon in Stamford and the Garden in Norwalk), farmer's markets (great one in Westport on Thursdays from 10-2), etc.

In my personal experience, there is a "chilliness" to CT folk that I didn't experience anywhere in NY - while I've found exceptions in the year that I've lived here and I like it far more than I ever thought I would, you might find a lack of laid-back vibe in either town you mentioned. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2010, 07:00 AM

8 posts, read 40,692 times
Thanks for the responses. I'm really worried about the commute from Westport, as one of our primary drivers for getting out of the city right now is to avoid a tough commute. That is why I am leaning towards NC, but we're worried that it's too waspy, stepford-y for us.

We are considering renting in Stamford, (in a rental house). We have 2 small children who wont be elem. yet for a few years, and since we will be renting, we will have the flexibility to leave as school age begins. I'm wondering if this might actually be the best way to ease into the suburban/CT lifestyle from city living...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut