Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:39 AM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

If this is what you are doing, I would look for a rental in downtown Stamford as close to his work as possible. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
If this is what you are doing, I would look for a rental in downtown Stamford as close to his work as possible. Jay
I agree with this. Downtown Stamford would be your best bet.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:14 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyber View Post

Husband will be working at 200 1st Stamford Place. Would want either a fully walking or train commute that would involve no car.
A "full" walking commute isn't going to work out. 1st Stamford is kind of off on its own little island, so to speak. It has great proximity to the train station, and it's safe to make that walk. But, walking from an apartment to 1st Stamford won't be feasible. The neighborhood's directly west and north of 1st Stamford aren't great, the area to the south that is within walking distance is quite unsafe, the area to the east is undergoing an ambitious redevelopment project and looks very promising, but it's not there yet.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
A "full" walking commute isn't going to work out. 1st Stamford is kind of off on its own little island, so to speak. It has great proximity to the train station, and it's safe to make that walk. But, walking from an apartment to 1st Stamford won't be feasible. The neighborhood's directly west and north of 1st Stamford aren't great, the area to the south that is within walking distance is quite unsafe, the area to the east is undergoing an ambitious redevelopment project and looks very promising, but it's not there yet.
That is a good point. But most of the buses around Stamford are centered on the train station and First Stamford is a short walk from there. Jay

Old 09-17-2010, 06:50 PM

17 posts, read 33,938 times
^^ Thanks, that is exactly the kind of info we need. We can now rule out a full walking commute and look into train and bus lines.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:22 AM

129 posts, read 412,972 times
Darien and Rowaton will get you lovely condos although most are on two floors.The advantage here is that the taxes are low.In towns like Stamford and Norwalk, where they are MANY more options,the taxes are easily $1000/mo.However that said I know of a unit coming online soon in a complex called Silver Spring.Look it up.Its named that because it sits directly on a waterfall and is lovely.About 2500 sq ft...plenty.Dont know your timing though.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbrewer2 View Post
Darien and Rowaton will get you lovely condos although most are on two floors.The advantage here is that the taxes are low.In towns like Stamford and Norwalk, where they are MANY more options,the taxes are easily $1000/mo.However that said I know of a unit coming online soon in a complex called Silver Spring.Look it up.Its named that because it sits directly on a waterfall and is lovely.About 2500 sq ft...plenty.Dont know your timing though.
Kim - Rowayton is part of Norwalk so the taxes would be the same as the rest of that city. I agree though that Darien would probably be lower for taxes but the prices will be a lot higher. It is not an easy decision but since the OP has decided to rent a small apartment and keep their home in PA, it does not matter now. Jay

Old 09-20-2010, 12:46 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyber View Post
Coming back to PA (where we really like our area and conveniences, etc.) we rethought our plan. We are reluctant to spend big for a home in such a pricey area so close to retirement. This would be no more than a five-year job at longest, we figure. Now we are considering keeping our main home in PA and buying or renting a very small apartment for my husband to crash in during the week.
That makes a lot of sense, if it works for you to do it that way. The costs of selling and moving and buying, even if CT were not so expensive, are not inconsiderable.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:57 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,056 times
I am curious as to where the OP lives in PA. When we were back there looking to relocate near KOP it seemed that nothing was close by. A lot of farm land, which is beautiful, but nothing looked convenient to say the least. To me all the housing areas seemed rural. Maybe we looked in the wrong area!

Old 09-20-2010, 01:13 PM

By KOP do you mean King of Prussia? That is a major shopping are with one of the largest shopping malls in the country. I do know that once you get away from the mall area itself the landscape gets rural but that is part of the area's charm. You get a country home that is convenient to a lot. You should really publish this questions on the Pennsylvania Board. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut