Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 12:04 PM

99 posts, read 230,092 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Chicago. For awhile, we have wanted to move to the East Coast and start a church. Over the last 3-4 months we have been looking at areas in East and feel CT may be a good place. It seems like there are just not that many in CT.
A little about us. We are in our late 20's. We are pretty liberal, religious speaking. We are non-denominational.
Considering these things, where is an area that could use a church? Are people accepting of new people?
Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 12:50 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Qualifier here: I am Jewish

It seems to me there are churches of every denomination on every corner of every town in Connecticut. I lived in Texas for over a decade and my experience is that religion is a much bigger deal there. Church is definitely a more common conversation topic in Texas...

It also seems to me that people who live in Connecticut aren't as mobile when it comes to their churches. Like many of my friends, my family has belong to the same synagogue for decades. My Catholic friends have gone to the same church since childhood.... I don't hear a lot of people seeking a new church.

This is not to say it wouldn't work here... I don't know. Although I can't think of the last time I have seen a "new" church in Connecticut. I assume there is a reason.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:00 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1coltsfan View Post
My husband and I currently live in Chicago. For awhile, we have wanted to move to the East Coast and start a church. Over the last 3-4 months we have been looking at areas in East and feel CT may be a good place. It seems like there are just not that many in CT.
A little about us. We are in our late 20's. We are pretty liberal, religious speaking. We are non-denominational.
Considering these things, where is an area that could use a church? Are people accepting of new people?
Thanks for any info!
Oh Lord, please tell me this is not another Mid-Western/Southern "Missionary" coming to "save CT".

While I can appreciate the concern for the "lost" rest assured there are churches here...most are indeed Catholic (I'm not) and you know what, that's fine. I'm really tired of non denoms or protestants calling out our Catholic bretheren and trying to convert them to some "higher" understanding.

Some of the most devoted and knowledgeable Christians I know are Catholics...like Peter Wolfgang of the Family Institute of CT. Family Institute of Connecticut

I guess what I'm trying to say is this. Come on over, start a church. Just know that we have our own culture and are not "lost heathen" just waiting for someone to preach the word so we can stampede to the alter. It's not going to happen. In fact you might be surprised to find some of the most intelligent discussions about religion and/or faith from the average "Joe" than just about anywhere. Something that goes beyond reciting a canned prayer. People here are smart...very smart, and educated. The way we do it here, is not they way you do it in the Midwest/South, I can assure you after 7 years in the South and having family in IL.

My neighbor is from Indy, a non denom church pastor and one of the biggest fakes I've ever met. Sorry, but after 10 years and dealing with him on many fronts, there is no other explanation. We went to visit his place a few times and it's not the same person who lives next to me, I can assure you. But hey, they just broke ground on a large mini-mega church here after 10 years.

There IS a movement underfoot for many in the "field" native to CT to return to CT. There are several churches around me that have pastors that felt led to "come home".

Having said all that, I'm a believer, somewhat "liberal" to use your term (I'll say non traditional.) and would be more than happy to talk on DM if you wish to pick my brain. I'm really a nice guy in person...I promise.

P.S. Please do not forget the Christian heritage CT left behind for the rest of the nation...we are the original "bible belt" with a rich history and theology. The New England Primer came from here, Yale was originally a divinity school...the likes of Jonathan Edwards, Thomas Hooker etc etc.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Qualifier here: I am Jewish

It seems to me there are churches of every denomination on every corner of every town in Connecticut. I lived in Texas for over a decade and my experience is that religion is a much bigger deal there. Church is definitely a more common conversation topic in Texas...
I would say it like this. Church is more of a social club down there than it is here. I'd be willing to bet there are more people in churches there just to "fit in" or because it's "what you're supposed to do" much more than here.

P.S. So am I.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:02 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Well, among all of the New England states, CT has the highest church attendance, so it's probably a good place to start one. I think you could open a church pretty much anywhere that's not too rural and have success. As mlassof said, there are numerous churches in almost every town all over the entire state.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate any form of communication from the locals we can receive. I in no way meant to come across as we wanted to "save" anyone. In fact, I hate that term. I have friends and acquaintances of lots of religions and have never once been accused of trying to save anyone from anything. I didn't mention Catholics at all and would not be coming to be a "missionary" to them. I don't believe in taking anyone from their local church. The only people we would be coming to "missionary" (again, another term I hate!) to are the non-churched who were interested in what we were doing.

We chose CT as an option only because we were looking into areas on the East Coast and CT was one of the most under churched areas in consideration to population.

I know non-denominational people are kinda their own denomination, but I really don't know what else to call ourselves since we are not affiliated with denom. I guess we would be more of a community based church since our main goal is to carry out what the Bible teaches about church (to help the poor, widows and orphans). Anyways, just wanted to get opinion on areas that would be most in need or most accepting of a new church.

As far as your neighbor goes, I'm sorry that's the case. Unfortunately, there are a lot of fake people out there of lots of religions and denominations!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate any form of communication from the locals we can receive. I in no way meant to come across as we wanted to "save" anyone. In fact, I hate that term. I have friends and acquaintances of lots of religions and have never once been accused of trying to save anyone from anything. I didn't mention Catholics at all and would not be coming to be a "missionary" to them. I don't believe in taking anyone from their local church. The only people we would be coming to "missionary" (again, another term I hate!) to are the non-churched who were interested in what we were doing.

We chose CT as an option only because we were looking into areas on the East Coast and CT was one of the most under churched areas in consideration to population.

I know non-denominational people are kinda their own denomination, but I really don't know what else to call ourselves since we are not affiliated with denom. I guess we would be more of a community based church since our main goal is to carry out what the Bible teaches about church (to help the poor, widows and orphans). Anyways, just wanted to get opinion on areas that would be most in need or most accepting of a new church.

As far as your neighbor goes, I'm sorry that's the case. Unfortunately, there are a lot of fake people out there of lots of religions and denominations!
Sounds great...I think you'll do just fine here. A lot of "church" here flys under the radar, so don't be so quick to call it "underchurched" just a heads up.

Oh and don't take my post the wrong way...I'm not assuming anything. People here tend to cut through the B.S. pretty quick and and it sorts out who's who. It's our "way". We do have a lot of nondenom pastors here from "away" who came to the "preachers graveyard" to turn it around. I can count 5 better known non denoms around me right now where that is the case. It's like there is a graduate handbook on where the "lost and unchurched are supposed to be" given out to seminaries and Christian colleges. lol

Old 08-22-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Sounds great...I think you'll do just fine here. A lot of "church" here flys under the radar, so don't be so quick to call it "underchurched" just a heads up.

Oh and don't take my post the wrong way...I'm not assuming anything. People here tend to cut through the B.S. pretty quick and and it sorts out who's who. It's our "way". We do have a lot of nondenom pastors here from "away" who came to the "preachers graveyard" to turn it around. I can count 5 better known non denoms around me right now where that is the case. It's like there is a graduate handbook on where the "lost and unchurched are supposed to be" given out to seminaries and Christian colleges. lol
Thanks for the info! I appreciate the cut to chase kinda way. Trust me, I do understand what you are saying as I come from a family of church members who are as you described! I know stats are not always the best way to get information, that's why I love city-data. You get first hand information about what a place is really like.
We are considering the area of New London. I am not sure if this is a smart choice at all, but we are going to research it some more and see if we think it's a good fit. I know places like New Haven and Bridgeport seem like the more common choice so I don't know.
Anyways, thanks for all the comments. Most appreciated!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I appreciate the cut to chase kinda way. Trust me, I do understand what you are saying as I come from a family of church members who are as you described! I know stats are not always the best way to get information, that's why I love city-data. You get first hand information about what a place is really like.
We are considering the area of New London. I am not sure if this is a smart choice at all, but we are going to research it some more and see if we think it's a good fit. I know places like New Haven and Bridgeport seem like the more common choice so I don't know.
Anyways, thanks for all the comments. Most appreciated!
No problem at all.

I think New London of all the cities may give you the best opportunity to get off the ground. The very point I was getting at with "under the radar" is just that...many inner cities are served by local small neighborhood churches that are not part of a larger denomination or whatever and therefore not counted.

Hartford has many many small community based churches that do a great amount of good for instance. But they are no affiliated or "counted". More so in the Spanish community.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
No problem at all.

I think New London of all the cities may give you the best opportunity to get off the ground. The very point I was getting at with "under the radar" is just that...many inner cities are served by local small neighborhood churches that are not part of a larger denomination or whatever and therefore not counted.

Hartford has many many small community based churches that do a great amount of good for instance. But they are no affiliated or "counted". More so in the Spanish community.
I was wondering about this very thing. I know there are several similar ministries like this in Chicago. It makes it hard to get a real feel for location if you are not a local. The fact there are people who are willing to offer up such info makes me like CT already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut