Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 04:40 PM

4 posts, read 8,398 times

Advertisements

I accepted a job at Bradley Int'l Airport. i will be moving to the state soon from Northern Virginia. I am interested in living close to Hartford to experience somewhat of a city life. i have read some pretty bad reviews about the outskirts of town (except West Hartford). are there any great areas in or around the city you can recommend? i am single mid 20's no kids. i am willing to spend however much money is applicable to have a great quality of life. is there any upscale areas closer to airport that can offer music, arts, walking to restaurants, etc? if not then i will live closer to city and further from work if that's what it takes. any suggestions would be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 04:45 PM

418 posts, read 1,410,341 times
There is no town north of Hartford that will offer you the amenities you're looking for. If you can afford, it you'll probably want to live in one of the newer apartment buildings right in downtown Hartford. Or, if you're looking for a slightly more suburban feel, in West Hartford Center.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:01 PM

thnx for your fast response Silli. are you familiar with any of the names of the newer apartment buildings your reffering to?

Old 08-27-2010, 05:08 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
West Hartford center feels anything but Suburban IMHO. I do think WH is your best bet. Restaurants, cafes, bars, shops etc etc Blue Back Square has some apartments right in the thick of downtown but they are not cheap. The good news is you will be doing a reverse commute for the most part and can do the backroads to Bradley.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:56 PM

418 posts, read 1,410,341 times
WH is "slightly more suburban" than downtown Hartford. It's definitely still a town, not a city, despite the Blue Back Square district. I'm not saying it's worse than downtown Hartford, it just has a different feel.
Downtown Hartford apartments are 55 on the Park, Trumbull on the Park, Hartford 21(this one's REALLY expensive), The Lofts at Main & Temple. The Hollander at 410 Asylum is mixed-income but it's probably pretty nice. Depending on your budget, you might be okay with some of the older buildings in downtown: Union Square Place, and 960 Main Street. Young folks also enjoy living in the west end of Hartford (along Farmington Ave) but I have a feeling you prefer more to be in the center of everything a place has to offer.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:03 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
I spend a lot of time in NOVA for work. City living in Hartford would not really be comparable to living in DC... While Hartford has a number of restaurants, clubs and stores, it doesn't have the diversity of offerings nor the quality of offerings that DC has. I agree with the growing consensus that West Hartford is a good option. The Blue Back area feels like some of the sophisticated areas in NOVA and gives you easy access to downtown Hartford for the city amenities when you want them.

As a frequent user of Bradley Airport, welcome to Connecticut!

Old 08-27-2010, 09:36 PM

thank you very much everyone. well looks like i should give WH a shot. anybody know the names of nice apartment complexes to look at. money not an issue so nicer the better. thnx again

Old 08-28-2010, 07:25 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessexrs View Post
thank you very much everyone. well looks like i should give WH a shot. anybody know the names of nice apartment complexes to look at. money not an issue so nicer the better. thnx again
Blue Back Square | Live Here | Apartment

You'll be in the heart of DT West Hartford and can walk to everything there and/or grab a bus to DT Hartford (Just a scant 2-3 miles away) if you wish.

Good luck!

Old 08-28-2010, 08:29 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I am not sure what reviews that you read and said bad things about the "outskirts of town". Most of the suburbs surrounding Hartford are wonderful. They are however more family oriented so they might be dull to a single. West Hartford, downtown or Hartford's West End would probably be your best bet overall. Jay

Old 08-29-2010, 09:15 AM

thnx for your insight jayct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut