Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:59 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,791,964 times

Advertisements

I saw this new commercial the other day. I have to admit that i was surprised by it.

YouTube - Surprise, It's Bridgeport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 11:09 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,094,173 times
Wow. Well done on the commercial. Will it be effective? I don't think so. I grew up in Trumbull and Westport and always had affection for Bridgeport. In the late 70's there was little in Trumbull and we'd have to go to Bridgeport daily. There was always a treat involved-- ice cream at Friendly's-- Pizza at Jennie's-- (I even remember when Lum's was there before Jennie's). My 6th birthday party was at Captain's Pizza on Main Street....

Unfortunately, while Bridgeport has all of the amenities described in the commercial, they are not located in any central, walkable entertainment district. I think one of the attractive things about New Haven and Hartford's entertainment districts is that you can park once and go to multiple venues-- ie, Have a Drink, Go to Dinner and then go to a theater event or go dancing... Bridgeport doesn't really offer that and the downtown, while improved still feels gritty and lacks amenities...

I don't think the problems Bridgeport has are PR problems....

Old 08-28-2010, 11:10 AM

278 posts, read 340,789 times
Was that Charcoal pond the mayor was fishing in?

Old 08-29-2010, 11:55 AM

490 posts, read 1,783,911 times
Wow, this commercial is so surreal...Bridgeport is not nearly ready to have tourism (and probably never will). Is just as ridiculous as the billboard on I95 advertising some hotel off Route 8 as a nice place to rest.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:22 PM

34,754 posts, read 56,576,349 times
That is a neat commercial. Bridgeport does have a lot. Not many places have a real concentrated tourist district as suggested. Bridgeport though has many interesting things we have gone to including the zoo, the ballpark, the museums, the Cabaret, Captains Cove. We had a great time. Bridgeport has a bad rep but it really is not as bad as most people make it out. Jay

Old 08-30-2010, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,805 times
I think the commercial is GREAT. Coming from a small, wealthy suburb of Boston and going to college in Fairfield county, I was exposed to Bridgeport little by little, but often in a negative light. However, the improvements I have seen in my four years there were unbelievable. The downtown area IS making big changes, and the revitalization movement is in action. I am proud to support Bridgeport and think that the commercial is actually really accurate if you know where to go. Further, the downtown DOES offer you the opportunity to park once, get a drink, go to dinner elsewhere, then enjoy theater options. So many things to do!!! I encourage everyone to explore downtown Bridgeport!

Old 08-30-2010, 10:36 PM

160 posts, read 446,020 times
Nice try Bridgeport, but I don't think so!

On a serious note, like Jay said, it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:08 PM

680 posts, read 1,570,945 times
I wonder if mad tv will make a parody out of this commerical

I enjoyed staying in bridgeport a few years ago even though my relative warned me against it. I think most people are sissies who does not want to take that 0.1% of getting shot.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:32 AM

362 posts, read 773,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I saw this new commercial the other day. I have to admit that i was surprised by it.

YouTube - Surprise, It's Bridgeport.

I like Bridgeport and it's old town feel. I like the park that's by the beach(I believe people call it the strip) but then again, I'm coming from a different prespective. I do have to admit it looks dirty everytime I come home on the Amtrak towards Hartford, but there are some nice places. it's proximity to NYC is nice, although some of the vagrants that left NY are in Bridgeport, which means they left that "life" only to continue with their nonsense in Bridgeport. I've heard the crime out there is as rampant as in Hartford's Northend, but who knows. I've only been there like three or four times and it wasn't recently, so it might have changed. New Haven is taking the focus away from Bridgeport when it comes to crime, but who knows. I like cities that have a port, becuase I love sea food, and that includes New London as well, so I like the commercial. I will have to come and visit before the summer's over,

Old 09-01-2010, 09:35 AM

362 posts, read 773,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milfordlol View Post
Nice try Bridgeport, but I don't think so!

On a serious note, like Jay said, it's not as bad as people make it out to be.
yeah, it's probably worse than people make it out to be, LOL...I remember asking a friend who lives out there a couple years ago if I should move out there, and she said she'd rather I live in some city nearby because the crime was crazy. I could take my chances, but why bother living in a place if I'm going to risk getting shot at for some random reason. anyways, like i said, it's probably changed since I last was there so who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut