Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 09:02 AM

83 posts, read 226,507 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

I was just wondering what experiences people have had in obtaining pistol permits here in CT. My understanding is that state law gives the local municipalities 8 weeks to evaluate paperwork and do background checks, after which applicants are issued a town permit which can be used to obtain a state permit (with more money of course). Here in Wethersfield I have had all of my paperwork submitted (and checks cashed) for just over 12 weeks with no word whatsoever from the police department. I'd like to call the town and see what the deal is, but I've heard rumors that bugging the cops will cause your paperwork to take longer. Still, they've already taken much longer than the law says they can!

Anyone have any experience with this? What would you suggest I do?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 05:32 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartford Medic View Post
Hey folks,

I was just wondering what experiences people have had in obtaining pistol permits here in CT. My understanding is that state law gives the local municipalities 8 weeks to evaluate paperwork and do background checks, after which applicants are issued a town permit which can be used to obtain a state permit (with more money of course). Here in Wethersfield I have had all of my paperwork submitted (and checks cashed) for just over 12 weeks with no word whatsoever from the police department. I'd like to call the town and see what the deal is, but I've heard rumors that bugging the cops will cause your paperwork to take longer. Still, they've already taken much longer than the law says they can!

Anyone have any experience with this? What would you suggest I do?

Thanks!
Surprised nobody else commented.

I suggest you call them and also start the appeals process. They have by law 8 weeks to aprove or deny it but the police are accustomed to doing as they choose with pistol permits. Theres alot of activity in this regard recently and they are starting to come around slowly but surely.

If you start the appeals process now it'll often prompt them to do their job & if it doesn't it will give you a head start with the BOFPE (bureau of firearms permit examiners) and often you will be moved to the front of the line if your issue is due to negligence by the issueing authority.

Heres a link to a site dedicated to gun issues. In the CT section you'll find info on a group called CCDL (Connecticut citizens defense league) who are actively trying to get our screwed up system in better working order and our law enforcement to obey the laws. Connecticut
We do have hurdles here but once you get the permit things are pretty hassle free.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
If I remember correctly this is what I had to do.

Take a 1/2 day class which costs 100 dollars or so depending on where you go. Pass the test, get a instructors signature.

Go to your town police tell them you are getting a gun. They will ask you why. Get fingerprinted and background check. Takes about 2 months

Go to the state police barracks. Do the same thing.

I think thats how it went. You can call whoever it is you are going to take the gun class from and they will tell you the necessary steps. I did mine through hoffman guns in newington.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 AM

Skel- those are pretty much the steps I've taken as well, except I've been waiting more than 3 months instead of 2 for my town permit.

Tin- I've been to that website before actually, and I was aware that the CCDL was involved in getting police departments into line with this 8 week thing. Even still, though, there is a general feeling amongst individual applicants (such as myself) that to make waves about a late permit is to make matters worse. I called the department the other day and a lieutenant told me that permits in town often take as long as 16 weeks, and that I shouldn't even try to call about status until then. I didn't put up a big argument, but was shocked that they would so casually double the timeline laid out in state law. Would you really suggest that I start filing appeals and making a big deal about it to that lieutenant? Would that make things go quicker or slower?

I really wish towns would just follow the law and get this done in a timely matter. Two months seems to me to be PLENTY of time for any kind of paperwork. Hell, they cashed my checks right away!

Old 09-01-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Skel- those are pretty much the steps I've taken as well, except I've been waiting more than 3 months instead of 2 for my town permit.

Tin- I've been to that website before actually, and I was aware that the CCDL was involved in getting police departments into line with this 8 week thing. Even still, though, there is a general feeling amongst individual applicants (such as myself) that to make waves about a late permit is to make matters worse. I called the department the other day and a lieutenant told me that permits in town often take as long as 16 weeks, and that I shouldn't even try to call about status until then. I didn't put up a big argument, but was shocked that they would so casually double the timeline laid out in state law. Would you really suggest that I start filing appeals and making a big deal about it to that lieutenant? Would that make things go quicker or slower?
You dont even need to tell them you are filing an appeal if you dont want, but initiating it I'd think could only speed things up if it does anything. The lieutenant may well be ignorant of the law, many LEO think it doesn't apply to them anyway. After all who are you going to complain to? Its a very arrogant position for them since they work for us, but very common because it goes unquestioned.
If your checks have been cashed then they have the backround results and are ignoreing another mandate requireing a decision within 5 days of getting results. 8 weeks is the max time allowed, not a required time period. In most cases if handled like profesionals a week is more than enough time.
I bet if the lieutenant thinks he might end at a hearing he will suddenly find the time to do his job.

Quote:
I really wish towns would just follow the law and get this done in a timely matter. Two months seems to me to be PLENTY of time for any kind of paperwork. Hell, they cashed my checks right away!
Its a pathetic joke. Its the 21st century, they knew within hours if not minutes after initiating the backround & fingerprint checks if you were eligible ot not. We need people to make waves & hold them accountable.
They are used to people saying "yes sir" & going away. Print out the relevant statutes, easy to find at the linked site, and cite them next time you call or better yet make an apointment & bring them along.

I can sure understand the feeling that making waves will make it worse but I think armed with facts it wont be so bad. That said I cant fault you if you just wait it out. Its what I did before these abuses became common knowledge.

A real telling thing is the quickness in which a person can get an eligibility certificate. The requirements are all the same except theres no suitability clause so they MUST issue it if theres no disqualifying factors on your record. The biggest difference is you apply directly to the state police. It usually seems to take a couple weeks at most. Thats how fast the local cops should be and I'm sure even that could be improved upon.

Last edited by Tin Knocker; 09-01-2010 at 11:35 AM..

Old 09-01-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
If I remember correctly this is what I had to do.

Take a 1/2 day class which costs 100 dollars or so depending on where you go. Pass the test, get a instructors signature.

Go to your town police tell them you are getting a gun. They will ask you why. Get fingerprinted and background check. Takes about 2 months

Go to the state police barracks. Do the same thing.

I think thats how it went. You can call whoever it is you are going to take the gun class from and they will tell you the necessary steps. I did mine through hoffman guns in newington.

Thats pretty much right. But the class is suposed to be all day. I am a certified NRA instructor & give the Basic Pistol class every month or two. Its suposed to be 8 hours but depends alot on class size.
You get a certificate upon completion you need to show the police or give them a copy, dont give them the original, they dont need it, its yours.

You need to get the forms from the police but they shouldn't ask why you want it and if they do becareful what you say. I'd say for all legal purposes.

Turn in the paperwork with your certificate, get fingerprinted & wait.

Once you get the town permit bring it to the State Police & get a state permit in 5 minutes.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 PM

haha okay I know this is ridiculous but their ears must have been ringing over at the police department. I got the call today and am now the proud holder of a (temporary, so far) CT state pistol permit! I guess all it took was a little anonymous whining on the internet haha. 12 weeks and 4 days I waited, but at least I've got it in my mitts now.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
haha okay I know this is ridiculous but their ears must have been ringing over at the police department. I got the call today and am now the proud holder of a (temporary, so far) CT state pistol permit! I guess all it took was a little anonymous whining on the internet haha. 12 weeks and 4 days I waited, but at least I've got it in my mitts now.

Great to hear. I got my state permit in Bridgeport and it took literally 5 minutes.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:25 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut