Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:29 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,816,112 times

Advertisements

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!

Take cover and batten down the hatches!!!!

..........NOT

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 09-03-2010 at 11:41 AM..

Old 09-03-2010, 10:37 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,298,328 times
I wouldn't be surprised if this thing is T.S. Earl by the time it gets to Nantucket. It's weakened quite quickly, even while at the latitude of Virginia Beach.

The media way overhyped this thing in Connecticut. In Boston TV, this thing was properly marketed as a problem for the Cape and the Islands, and to lesser degrees the South Shore and South Coast. It's a summer nor'easter, nothing more. Some rain and wind in Connecticut, nothing out of the ordinary. South and east get the most, north and west get the least.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:05 AM

10,005 posts, read 11,114,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if this thing is T.S. Earl by the time it gets to Nantucket. It's weakened quite quickly, even while at the latitude of Virginia Beach.

The media way overhyped this thing in Connecticut. In Boston TV, this thing was properly marketed as a problem for the Cape and the Islands, and to lesser degrees the South Shore and South Coast. It's a summer nor'easter, nothing more. Some rain and wind in Connecticut, nothing out of the ordinary. South and east get the most, north and west get the least.
Cambium?? Oh nevermind..

Old 09-03-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Ok chicken littles..you've had your fun.

Oh and if this storm did by some crazy fluke make a direct landfall on Long Island its gonna get torn to shreds by sheer north of Virginia..it would hold a cat 1 at BEST. Now that won't happen as the eye will never make it to land in N.E.
My quote from 2 days ago...... and you wavehunter said I was clueless...heh

Old 09-03-2010, 11:28 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,339,612 times
Quote:
My quote from 2 days ago...... and you wavehunter said I was clueless...heh
I never said you were clueless...you just seemed to refuse to even consider the possibilty that a hurricane could hit the Tri-State area. That is what I found a bit strange. Remember, long ago as it might have been...people in Connecticut, Long Island, Rhode Island...etc have been KILLED by hurricanes. 94 people were killed in 3 hours in the 1938 Hurricane in CT...245 in Rhode Island...etc. I think there are many people out there who just don't think its possible a severe hurricane in the LI/CT/RI/MA area. Rare yes...impossible no.

As far as this forecast, I still think NHC did a good job. My only comment to them (if they ever got to read this) is that they seem to forget how weak the west side of a tropical cyclone is at our latitude 35 to 40 North. Coastal North Carolina was under a hurricane warning (winds of 74-mph or higher). Yet, the highest winds I could find this morning were reported in Manteo, North Carolina (a small Island between Pamlico and Albemaire Sound ) where they reported sustained winds to 44 -mph and gusts to 70 -mph as the center swept past out to sea. To be fair to the NHC…I would not find it impossible that the outermost barrier island, maybe Waves, Salvo, Hatteras …etc might have had some hurricane force wind gusts…but I doubt there were sustained winds of hurricane force on the Outer Banks. As of 1:00 PM…here are the strongest NWS obs I can find in the Atlantic states:

MILLVILLE CLOUDY 81 72 74 N16G23 29.60F
ATLANTIC CITY CLOUDY 81 75 82 NE15G26 29.61F
WRIGHTSTOWN CLOUDY 82 74 74 NE10 29.63F
TOMS RIVER CLOUDY 77 73 88 NE13G20 29.64F
NANTUCKET PTSUNNY 78 74 87 SE16G23 29.78F

So thankfully, so far Earl has been breeze damage wise. We will have to see what is left of Earl by the time he reaches the Cape/Islands and what the winds are. The Outer Banks had only TS force winds and some overwash on route 12, so one of my fav beaches is still intact. Here is a pic from North Carolina State police this morning on route 12 on the Outer Banks:

Old 09-03-2010, 11:33 AM

3,983 posts, read 6,553,659 times
guess i'll stop building my ark now...

Old 09-03-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I never said you were clueless...you just seemed to refuse to even consider the possibilty that a hurricane could hit the Tri-State area. That is what I found a bit strange. Remember, long ago as it might have been...people in Connecticut, Long Island, Rhode Island...etc have been KILLED by hurricanes. 94 people were killed in 3 hours in the 1938 Hurricane in CT...245 in Rhode Island...etc. I think there are many people out there who just don't think its possible a severe hurricane in the LI/CT/RI/MA area. Rare yes...impossible no.

As far as this forecast, I still think NHC did a good job. My only comment to them (if they ever got to read this) is that they seem to forget how weak the west side of a tropical cyclone is at our latitude 35 to 40 North. Coastal North Carolina was under a hurricane warning (winds of 74-mph or higher). Yet, the highest winds I could find this morning were reported in Manteo, North Carolina (a small Island between Pamlico and Albemaire Sound ) where they reported sustained winds to 44 -mph and gusts to 70 -mph as the center swept past out to sea. To be fair to the NHC…I would not find it impossible that the outermost barrier island, maybe Waves, Salvo, Hatteras …etc might have had some hurricane force wind gusts…but I doubt there were sustained winds of hurricane force on the Outer Banks. As of 1:00 PM…here are the strongest NWS obs I can find in the Atlantic states:

MILLVILLE CLOUDY 81 72 74 N16G23 29.60F
ATLANTIC CITY CLOUDY 81 75 82 NE15G26 29.61F
WRIGHTSTOWN CLOUDY 82 74 74 NE10 29.63F
TOMS RIVER CLOUDY 77 73 88 NE13G20 29.64F
NANTUCKET PTSUNNY 78 74 87 SE16G23 29.78F

So thankfully, so far Earl has been breeze damage wise. We will have to see what is left of Earl by the time he reaches the Cape/Islands and what the winds are. The Outer Banks had only TS force winds and some overwash on route 12, so one of my fav beaches is still intact. Here is a pic from North Carolina State police this morning on route 12 on the Outer Banks:
I NEVER stated a hurricane cant hit the northeast!! When did I ever say that? ..I only said this one had no chance and it didn't. I am tired (not you) of weather forecasters and the media ..and other people (nameless) who hype up these storms needlessly. Its borderline like yelling shark in the ocean. The Weather Channel is the worst culprit of all. You are dead right, except on the open water, this hurricane was a dying quail by the time it reached Carolina, but news stations need to keep telling us how close and dangerous things areso we stay tuned. Know what crying wolf does? Sets us up for a disaster one day when there is a real threat....

I cant find one sustained wind speed over 22 miles per hour on the whole east coast right now ..what an overhyped joke.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:25 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,339,612 times
Well I guess some things never change: The surfers are arriving in Rhode Island…

Beach Web Cam - Narragansett, Rhode Island - Lila Delman Real Estate

Old 09-03-2010, 12:47 PM

11,267 posts, read 18,810,256 times
Quote:
I NEVER stated a hurricane cant hit the northeast!! When did I ever say that? ..I only said this one had no chance and it didn't. I am tired (not you) of weather forecasters and the media ..and other people (nameless) who hype up these storms needlessly. Its borderline like yelling shark in the ocean. The Weather Channel is the worst culprit of all. You are dead right, except on the open water, this hurricane was a dying quail by the time it reached Carolina, but news stations need to keep telling us how close and dangerous things areso we stay tuned. Know what crying wolf does? Sets us up for a disaster one day when there is a real threat....

I cant find one sustained wind speed over 22 miles per hour on the whole east coast right now ..what an overhyped joke.
1) I have to credit you about wind shear when it got to about Virginia Beach, good prediction.

2) In your defense, you do say somewhere earlier in this thread that this could be the year a currently unknown future hurricane does make it here with some strength.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:50 PM

83,408 posts, read 74,932,541 times
Quote:
Dear Lord.

Someone said to me today in order for people to believe or prepare for an upcoming storm they had to have been hit with one without any notice.

Kinda makes sense but then the media and technology is to blame...

There's A Very fine Line of preparing people & creating panic...

This Hurricane did exactly what the models said it would...I'm amazed by that.. As if someone was steering it... But Hurricanes can shift 50-100 east-west so thats why we needed to be on the alert...

Lets be glad no extensive Damage will be happening in CT and not act like chimps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut