Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:19 PM

34,634 posts, read 56,360,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi1273 View Post
Jay,Since i got my license,i am in search of a used car. While seraching,i came across this thread,very useful. What are the things i have to look for or do if buying out of state?

How did u collect the emails address of these CPO car dealers?

Actualy i am pretty clear abt what car i am going to buy,Honda Fit.I am seeing very less number of fit in the market.Any suggestions are welcome.

thanks.
Most major car makers have links on their websites to dealer inventories. That is where I started. The process is kind of different if you are buying new or if you are buying used. For used, you have to find the specific car you want and negoiate with the dealer that owns it. You might need to look at several cars and find the best deal among them.

For new, you just pick out the car you want and email all the dealers in say 50 to 100 miles to find out if they have it or can get it and what they will sell it for.

A great website for new cars is New Cars Pricing and Comparisons Local, Regional and National Car Price Reports at TrueCar. It will tell you what a "great" price to pay for a particular new vehicle. Also read carbuyingtips.com for how to negoiate with a dealer. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 01:59 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,061,868 times
Quote:
Actualy i am pretty clear abt what car i am going to buy,Honda Fit.I am seeing very less number of fit in the market.Any suggestions are welcome.
I bought a Fit but couldn't keep it. The seats were cheaply made and lacked most of the adjustments you're probably used to having. I had to use a wedge-shaped pillow to support my leg because the seat height and angle were fixed. Even then the discomfort became too much.

Maybe the newer ones have better seats, but it was a real weak point of the vehicle in 2008.

One other point: the Fit gets great gas mileage in town, but it doesn't get any better on a trip. It's a small engine that runs at high RPMs, and that seems to cost you in highway driving.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:20 PM

5 posts, read 135,116 times
I don't recommend Scranton motors (Vernon)!! or Old Saybrook Jeep.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:49 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,670,783 times
Quote:
Actualy i am pretty clear about what car i am going to buy, a Honda Fit. I am seeing very less number of fit in the market. Any suggestions are welcome.

thanks.
i've bought 10 cars since i started making my own money and they were all Honda's. wouldn't buy anything else. ironically, i just bought my second Fit just this past Sat. the thing with them is they are all made in Japan so a lot fewer of them make it to the states than say CR-V's, Accords, etc which are made in Ohio. my first one was an automatic which i didn't want and in a color i didn't want (Tidewater Blue) but if i had gotten picky and insisted on a certain color, manual transmission and maybe a navi, i would have had to wait 6 months or longer so i just took what i could get. but i never liked the automatic which is why i got my new black 5-speed w/navi after having the old one for only 2 years. absolutely love the new one.
even though they are a bit small, i found that they had the right mix of some cargo space and good gas mileage. and the 5-speed i think has more pep than the automatic. nice riding car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest
the Fit gets great gas mileage in town, but it doesn't get any better on a trip.
this wasn't my experience at all. since the mpg is displayed right on the dash, i started monitoring it when i first bought my blue one. at first it showed around 29-30 mpg on the highway but after a while that went up to around 32-33 so it got better highway mileage for me after driving it for a while. haven't tried my new one yet but it is a standard which are supposed to get better gas mileage.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:16 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,777,257 times
In response to the OP yes I would drive 100's of miles to save money on a car purchase. Also, if you think it's tough trying to buy a new or used car thru a dealer, try buying a motorcycle. That's an absolute joke. I had dealers coming back with prices OVER the sticker price and they tell me it's non-negotiable.

One thing that has always perplexed me, and I think is one of life's greatest mysteries is this system of buying new cars\motorcycles we have in place.

Car makers (and on a smaller scale motorcycle makers) spend millions of dollars in advertising every year, YET they have the dregs of society selling their products.

They mite as well not advertise and pocket that marketing money instead.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:30 AM

34,634 posts, read 56,360,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
In response to the OP yes I would drive 100's of miles to save money on a car purchase. Also, if you think it's tough trying to buy a new or used car thru a dealer, try buying a motorcycle. That's an absolute joke. I had dealers coming back with prices OVER the sticker price and they tell me it's non-negotiable.

One thing that has always perplexed me, and I think is one of life's greatest mysteries is this system of buying new cars\motorcycles we have in place.

Car makers (and on a smaller scale motorcycle makers) spend millions of dollars in advertising every year, YET they have the dregs of society selling their products.

They mite as well not advertise and pocket that marketing money instead.
I think this system dates back to the old horse trading days. It certainly can feel like it. One dealer I went to would not give me a price on a car I was thinking about. All I asked for was a price they would sell it for. his response kept being "What would you pay for it?" We walked out there and my wife refused to EVER buy anything there. Jay

Old 09-21-2010, 09:47 AM

3,970 posts, read 6,525,729 times
Wow - makes me dread my next car purchase which is coming up. I have bought 2 new cars in my lifetime so far, but both times I pretty much researched for months, walked in knowing exactly what I wanted and told them, this is what I want...You can quote me a great price and I will buy it today or i can go somewhere else, it's your choice. Both times I got good deals, but my last car purchase at toyota was a PITA and I won't go to this particular dealer again. My first car I bought at decormier nissan and the sales guy was about as no-nonsense as i was which i appreciated. It probably helped that I was paying for half that car in cash so I don't think he wanted to lose me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut