Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:07 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
I would suggest at least looking in Ridgefield...you're budget is going to be low, but I'm sure you can find a 3 bd 2 bath home in the mid 400s if you have any flexibility. It will be an older (1950-70s) ranch or raised ranch but likely on a decent sized lot and excellent schools, great downtown, tolerant easy going, unpretentious community.

The commute to NYC would be on Metro North's Harlem line, on NYS, to Katonah or Brewster, both stations are relatively close to Ridgefield and are an hour into Grand Central. In your budget you will have to look north and west in town as the south, east homes are going to cost higher due to the closer commute down county. Commuting to Stamford is a breeze on back roads, almost no traffic except for thru downtown Ridgefield (which has gotten better since the control the traffic lights in the am to allow south bound folks to cruise through faster). You will hit traffic in Stamford but it's nothing like sitting on 95 or the Merritt which is just a nightmare during rush hour. Just a thought....

Great info. I'd also recommend Ridgefield. It would save you the tremendous hassle and inconvenience of moving later, as some are suggesting. I've moved a few times and don't ever want to go through it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 06:22 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Great info. I'd also recommend Ridgefield. It would save you the tremendous hassle and inconvenience of moving later, as some are suggesting. I've moved a few times and don't ever want to go through it again.
I love Ridgefield, but see two problems for the OP:

1) Finding a decent house for $400k
2) The commute to NYC could be up to 2 hours door to door, depending on exact locations of home and job.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:25 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,102 times
Quote:
I would suggest at least looking in Ridgefield...you're budget is going to be low, but I'm sure you can find a 3 bd 2 bath home in the mid 400s if you have any flexibility. It will be an older (1950-70s) ranch or raised ranch but likely on a decent sized lot and excellent schools, great downtown, tolerant easy going, unpretentious community.

The commute to NYC would be on Metro North's Harlem line, on NYS, to Katonah or Brewster, both stations are relatively close to Ridgefield and are an hour into Grand Central. In your budget you will have to look north and west in town as the south, east homes are going to cost higher due to the closer commute down county. Commuting to Stamford is a breeze on back roads, almost no traffic except for thru downtown Ridgefield (which has gotten better since the control the traffic lights in the am to allow south bound folks to cruise through faster). You will hit traffic in Stamford but it's nothing like sitting on 95 or the Merritt which is just a nightmare during rush hour. Just a thought....

oops sorry I meant you need to look north/east, south/west will be hard to come by in your price range. Sorry!

Old 09-01-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

2) The commute to NYC could be up to 2 hours door to door, depending on exact locations of home and job.

True, but if they are close to Grand Central, it is likely to be no more than 90 mins including all travel time. The budget is a problem, though you can find them. Here is an example of a 3 bed/2 bath home on 4 acres no less, west side of town. The commute would be to the Golden's Bridge or Brewster stations which are about 10-12 miles away along back roads with no traffic.

313 Old Sib Rd, Ridgefield, CT, 06877 - MLS #98470240 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

and another that is in town, so a very good commute both down county and into Katonah

213 Ramapoo Rd, Ridgefield, CT, 06877 - MLS #98472341 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

So it is possible to get a house on that budget in Ridgefield...these are two nice locations too.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:36 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

It will definitely not be easy, but sellers these days are generally a little more flexible with price. The OP might be able to find something in Ridgefield, I just checked and saw at least one in S. Ridgefield with an asking price of $419. Springdale doesn't have a large supply of homes in that price range, either. Either way, the OP will have a tough search with few homes in that price range, so it won't hurt to look into all options.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:37 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
^^^^^^^^^^^

I've been wondering for years why someone thought Ramapoo was a good name.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^

I've been wondering for years why someone thought Ramapoo was a good name.
I'm sure in all seriousness that you know the name was taken from the Indians who lived in this area before us settlers came In all my years in Ridgefield, I have never thought of it in the way you did!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:24 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
I'm sure in all seriousness that you know the name was taken from the Indians who lived in this area before us settlers came In all my years in Ridgefield, I have never thought of it in the way you did!
Why the extra o though? I always thought they were Ramapo.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Why the extra o though? I always thought they were Ramapo.
well you know us Americans, always bastardizing the language
Here is the actual origin of the name for those terribly curious:

RAMAPOO ROAD
Ramapoo Road is an old highway, probably the original route from town to West Mountain, that meanders from Gilbert Street westward to the intersection of West Mountain Road and Barry Avenue.
Evidence is that Gilbert Street was originally considered part of Ramapoo Road. Indeed, a 1900 map of the village labels Gilbert Street as "Ramapoo Road." And there are also indications that West Mountain Road was called the same thing; a 1907 property map in the town hall uses "Ramapo Road" for West Mountain Road in the vicinity of Old West Mountain Road. (Ramapo, incidentally, one of at least two valid spellings of the word, is used by the Rockland County, N.Y., town.)
In the mid-18th Century, someone who wanted to go from the village to Round Pond had to take a route that covered today's Gilbert Street, Ramapoo Road, Oscaleta Road, and Rippowam Road. Barry Avenue wasn't built until the mid-19th Century and most of West Mountain Road didn't exist until sometime after the Revolution.
The name "Ramapoo" recalls the reported name of one of the Indian groups that lived in Ridgefield. In his Ridgefield in Review, Silvio Bedini says that "the Indians who inhabited the Ridgefield area were members of the Ramapo and Titicus villages in the Tankiteke sachemdom of the Wappinger tribe."
Theories vary as to what Ramapo or Ramapoo meant. John C. Huden, an Indian place names expert, translates the word as "they are in route" or "temporary dwellers," but admits that "other sources give 'stream formed by round ponds' and 'river which empties into round ponds.' "
George R. Steward, in American Place Names, has a simpler, more basic translation: "round pond."
Is it possible that our "Round Pond," to which the old Ramapoo Road led, was originally called Ramapoo, and that our Indians took their name from it? Round Pond is never called Ramapoo in the early land records, but the fact that English and Indian names may mean the same thing and are connected geographically makes it seem a strong possibility.
It's possible that the application of the name stemmed from early Ridgefielders' knowledge that the word meant "round pond" and referred to an Indian village, Ramapoo, at our Round Pond. However, Ridgefielders had always known the word as a tribal name because it appears in the first Indian deed to the new settlers, which begins: "Know ye that I, Catoonah, sachem of Ramapoo Indians..."
Ridgefield's Indians were, incidentally, of a type that would match with Huden's translation of "temporary dwellers." They changed camps with the seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut