Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:26 PM

5 posts, read 13,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Edit to add that I want to also suggest Stratford. Nice town, decent schools, and on the beach. Can't go wrong.

Thanks, kidyankee764, I will look into Stratford, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 06:32 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,067 times
Have you looked in Beacon Falls. It's a nice small town right next to Seymour. and you could probably get a starter home for around $250,000 (even though it might need some work). The schools are good also.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:09 PM

281 posts, read 345,214 times
My sister lives in Seymour. Is married with 3 kids. They seem to like it and I do too. Definitely somewhere we'd (wife & I) consider moving to.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I do not htink you will find what you are looking for in your price range in nice towns south of Seymour (Stratford, Shelton, etc.). That area has a lot of Fairfield County influence and the prices tend to be higher. I would look at Seymour, Oxford, Beacon Falls, Southbury, Woodbury, Middlebury, Plymouth, Watertown, Thomaston, Wolcott and Prospect. I know that is a lot of area but you never know what you will find. Jay

Old 09-03-2010, 07:25 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I do not htink you will find what you are looking for in your price range in nice towns south of Seymour (Stratford, Shelton, etc.). That area has a lot of Fairfield County influence and the prices tend to be higher. I would look at Seymour, Oxford, Beacon Falls, Southbury, Woodbury, Middlebury, Plymouth, Watertown, Thomaston, Wolcott and Prospect. I know that is a lot of area but you never know what you will find. Jay
When we were looking at houses, we came across lots of nice(r) homes in Stratford, Devon and even a select few in Trumbull for 250k.

You won't find much house for your money in Oxford, Southbury, Woodbury and Middlebury either due to the minimum acreage, but if the OP doesn't mind having to do some work on the house, then they should be okay.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:31 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
When we were looking at houses, we came across lots of nice(r) homes in Stratford, Devon and even a select few in Trumbull for 250k.

You won't find much house for your money in Oxford, Southbury, Woodbury and Middlebury either due to the minimum acreage, but if the OP doesn't mind having to do some work on the house, then they should be okay.
I know some of these towns are a stretch but you never know what you will find unless you look. I know someone that stumbled upon a beautiful small home for that price in Southbury and that was during the peak of the housing market boom. It needed work but it had a lot going for it (large lot, near shopping, beautiful views, decent layout, etc.). You never know unless you look. Jay

Old 09-11-2010, 09:12 PM

4 posts, read 6,867 times
I too suggest checking out Seymour, I grew up there and love returning home, great people and a few staple restaurants- I hit Guerra's whenever I can!!

Also check out Prospect, Beacon Falls, Woodbridge

Old 09-13-2010, 03:04 PM

18 posts, read 33,608 times
Default Route 8 Corridor

These are older mill towns along Route 8, that in recent years had taken on new identities, and continue to. They continue to represent some of the lesser price towns in the area, but they also offer the benefit of location, and relatively recent access to a lot of places. So while the are perceived by some to be old mill towns, they are more than that, and they are good values.

Towns west are in Farifield County, and are higher priced. You would hae to have a reason to be there, to pay the higher price, correct? To the east is New Haven county, and there are some very nice rural towns that while higher priced that the corridor itself, they are not nearly so much so are Fairfield County.

Above Waterbury you have nice choices again, as you knock on the door of some Ltichfield County towns.

John Herman

Old 09-13-2010, 03:16 PM

18 posts, read 33,608 times
Not Turn of River, but nothing wrong wth the area, and urban neighborhood that should hold its demand as long as Stamford does. Easy commute, walk to restaurants.

John Herman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut