Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:06 PM

209 posts, read 539,561 times

Advertisements

If you worked in Shelton, where would you live & why?

It appears to be smack dab in between Bridgeport and New Haven.

I'm sooooooo indecisive!!!!!!

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 12:08 PM

21,660 posts, read 31,304,714 times
Shelton is actually north of Bridgeport in northern Fairfield County.

What can you afford and what kind of community would you prefer? City vs suburban, diverse, good schools, etc.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:49 PM

35,037 posts, read 57,132,699 times
Are you single? Are you looking for a house or apartment? More information would help. I will say the commute from Bridgeport to Shelton would be easier since Route 8 is a major limited access expressway that connects the two. Route 34 connects New Haven to Derby (across the river from Shelton) but it is an arterial roadway with a lot of traffic signals and stop and go traffic. You could also take I-95 to the Milford connector to the Merritt but there is a LOT of traffic on these roads. Jay

Old 09-08-2010, 01:34 PM

[quote=kidyankee764;15804405]Shelton is actually north of Bridgeport in northern Fairfield County.

[quote]

Really? I'm sorry. I have a 2008 road atlas map I'm using as a reference. I have no clue at what I'm looking at and whether it is accurate.
Thank you for correcting that. It's helpful to get information from someone who is actually living there.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Are you single? Are you looking for a house or apartment? More information would help. I will say the commute from Bridgeport to Shelton would be easier since Route 8 is a major limited access expressway that connects the two. Route 34 connects New Haven to Derby (across the river from Shelton) but it is an arterial roadway with a lot of traffic signals and stop and go traffic. You could also take I-95 to the Milford connector to the Merritt but there is a LOT of traffic on these roads. Jay
Married. But our children are in college. U Miami! Gooooo Canes!
We are looking for a house. Definitely.
I'm not a city person nor a rural person. If I had to choose over the two, I'd choose city.
What I'm really looking for is a nice suburb.
One with new shopping centers and lots of restaurants.
And sidewalks. Sidewalks would be nice.

However, after looking at Trulia and google maps, I'm not feeling the love.
I have a feeling I'm getting in over my head here. I may not be able to afford what I'm looking for, and that's sucks. Big time.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:08 PM

35,037 posts, read 57,132,699 times
What is your price range? Shelton is in Fairfield County which is very expensive. If you look north or east of there, the towns are more affordable. This is a mature area so you will not find a lot of new shopping centers. What you do find are usually very well kept and modern. One town I would suggest is Southbury. It does not have the sidewalks you are looking for but it has the newer shopping. Plus it is not far from major shopping in Danbury.

You might also look at Milford or Orange. Very nice towns with some of the best shopping around. Jay

Old 09-08-2010, 02:18 PM

First, I'd check out Shelton itself - plenty of shopping there. It's pricey but so are Milford and Orange. You can find some deals, though. Milford would have the most shopping, followed by Orange, then Shelton.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What is your price range? Shelton is in Fairfield County which is very expensive. If you look north or east of there, the towns are more affordable. This is a mature area so you will not find a lot of new shopping centers. What you do find are usually very well kept and modern. One town I would suggest is Southbury. It does not have the sidewalks you are looking for but it has the newer shopping. Plus it is not far from major shopping in Danbury.

You might also look at Milford or Orange. Very nice towns with some of the best shopping around. Jay
Unfortunately, we are loosing a sh*tload of money on our house in Pittsburgh, PA. Oh let's just say, we have it priced at a HUNDRED GRAND LESS than what we bought it for 5 years ago!
And we dumped money into it! And the market never jumped here!

So we're looking at houses for no more than 600K M.A.X.

All I am finding are homes that need a TON of work or are out in the middle of nowhere. I know Connecticut is beautiful and all, but at my age I'm just not looking for another fixer upper nor a place where it takes half an hour to get to the nearest highway. That's why I said I may be in over my head here. I would be surprised to find what I'm looking for at my price. CT is just so much more expensive.

Just to give you a clue of what I'm used to, I recently moved to PA from Scottsdale, AZ. (I obviously know CT does not compare to AZ. That would be like comparing apples to oranges.)
I'm from WNY (Amherst/Williamsville) so a brand spanking new area is not necessary, but I had 'hoped' it would be able to at compare to Amherst! It can't possibly be that difficult!

Old 09-08-2010, 02:32 PM

For 500-600k you can pretty much afford most towns in the area. Again, check out Shelton, Milford and Orange. You'll find something nice in your price range. I'd suggest Woodbridge, Bethany, Oxford and Monroe but they are more rural towns. You'd have to drive 10-15 minutes for shopping.

You won't find much that's "brand spanking new" but I know that Bridgeport Ave in Shelton is booming with many new plazas and restaurants. That's in the Huntington section of Shelton (which is beautiful).

Old 09-08-2010, 03:21 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,851,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsydaisy View Post
I have a 2008 road atlas map I'm using as a reference.
Quote:
However, after looking at Trulia and google maps, I'm not feeling the love.
Quote:
All I am finding are homes that need a TON of work or are out in the middle of nowhere.
You need a real estate agent and fast because your posts are off the mark. Your research isn't accurate. Your price range will afford an upscale home in many towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
For 500-600k you can pretty much afford most towns in the area. Again, check out Shelton, Milford and Orange.
I agree. And, I would add Stratford to that list, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut