Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 07:06 AM

4 posts, read 9,520 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have already gotten so much info and help from the old forum posts that I am hoping that someone can help me with some good information. I am from the east coast and moving to ct for a job in Stamford. I have owned my condo in a city environment for 10 years so finding a decent rental property (not buying until I can sell my place which wont happen for a couple of years) is turning out to be a little difficult. I don't like the rental factories much as they feel a little too institutional for my tastes- and they aren't cheap at all! I have a pre-requisite to live within walking distance of eating, getting coffee, and a little retail. I think I have this narrowed down to downtown stamford or something off Greenwich ave.. I am ok with stamford but downtown really lacks any charm. I thought maybe by the beach in Stamford, but then it felt a little too desolate and in some areas a mixed bag (too ritzy or a little sketchy). I adore Greenwich ave in greeenwich and would love to live near there, but are there places for a single 36 y/o female? I don't want to be the only one. Anyone know where I can find a similar demographic? Are there any areas that are not completely filled wroth families? I would love any insight and then will let my realtor hone in on the area. Many thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 12:40 PM

34,920 posts, read 56,918,061 times
First you have to realize that you are moving to one of the most expensive parts of the country with Greenwich being among the priciest in the area. That said if you like Greenwich, then look in Greenwich first and have Stamford as an alternative. Greenwich is beautiful and while it is known for its family-orientation, there are single people there as well. The problem may be finding an apartment that suits you though. If you do find one, then go for it. Greenwich is not far from Stamford so you can enjoy the best of both. Jay

Old 09-10-2010, 03:42 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Lle245500, You dont need to be in downtown to be within walking distance for eating. drinking, coffee, retail.. Try the areas near Long Ridge Road...Im sure you can find a rental there, the area is better than downtown, some shops there, cafe's, and within few minutes from your job.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:34 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Try the areas near Long Ridge Road...Im sure you can find a rental there, the area is better than downtown, some shops there, cafe's, and within few minutes from your job.
South of Long Ridge will have condo and apt. rentals. Long Ridge itself doesn't have apartments or condo's. The area between Hoyt and Cold Spring, bounded by Summer and Bedford, *might* be a good compromise between city and suburban.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:56 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,339 times
I LOVED living off of Greenwich Ave, on Arch Street. Granted I was about 10 yrs younger than you, but it was an absolute blast. Have you tried Craigslist? I'm guessing folks in that area don't have too much of a need for a realtor to list a rental. I lived in a small apartment building (converted single family with 3-4 apartments) just one block west of Greenwich Ave. So much fun and great to be walking distance to the train...however it was expensive. This is going back to the mid 90s and we were paying $1300 for a small two bedroom apartment.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:18 PM

Thank you! I looked again today and I reallyndo like Greenwich more than Stamford so now I just need to find a place!

Old 09-25-2010, 10:24 PM

Oh and I am on craigslist but a lot of the olaces get snatched up very quickly so while I have been moving, I lost out on a few places. And yes, it seems to be pretty pricey but I think it is better to pay a little more for an area that is so pleasant.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:57 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,263 times
I can't say enough great things about Greenwich; good luck with your search! A year and a half ago I was looking for a place to live on the Ave. and all of the places I saw were incredibly outdated, filthy, and cost $1400+/mo. for a 1 bedroom or studio. (I'm sure you could find a nice, new apartment but it will probably cost $1800+/mo.) Plus, if you live on Greenwich Ave. there is no residential parking and you'll have to feed the meter or leave your car parked out behind the train station. Instead of checking craigslist, speak with a realtor about rentals. The realtor I worked with showed me a few home rentals within 3-5 blocks of Greenwich Avenue and they were all reasonably priced and relatively updated. Try going to realtor.com and searching by rentals for a place in Greenwich. The Greenwich Time also lists a limited selection of apartments.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:27 AM

3 posts, read 6,875 times
I work in Stamford and commute from the city every day - I would live in NYC. I'm 30 years old and find there are far more people to interact with in the city. At my job, 95% of the single people live in NYC and commute from NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut