Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 05:16 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times

Advertisements

i also saw a few new homes listed in your price range in Colchester, Coventry and Ellington. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 09:01 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,231,089 times
Thanks everyone for your replies....I spent the day yesterday out with the hubby looking at some properties. I've kinda of changed the way I view them now....fully expecting them to have to be cleaned up by me. Now, it's just how much more I want to invest in them. It was nice to see all the little towns, and to find little treasures of the local culture. It helps take away some of the stress.
I think it's amazing how friendly everyone is out here too. All it takes is one common thread and people are coming up and talking to us! I love it!
We found a cute little house in Coventry...I think it may be a foreclosure....and I'm gonna have my realtor get me in. Hopefully it will be as nice on the inside, at least fixable with paint and new carpet. Wish me luck on this one......

Old 09-13-2010, 09:35 AM

VC Dreamer - That is great. I am happy to hear your visit went so well. I think people here are friendly but they are also very respectful of other's privacy. Good luck with that house and let us know how it goes. Jay

Old 09-13-2010, 11:11 AM

Thanks Jay! I will!

Old 09-13-2010, 01:52 PM

18 posts, read 33,601 times
Default Towns

You mention you are not stuck in any area...there are more great towns to consider than you have mentioned that are great....Burlington, Granby, Suffield, Canton, to name just a few that come to mind..

John Herman

Old 09-13-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Herman, Buyer's Rep View Post
You mention you are not stuck in any area...there are more great towns to consider than you have mentioned that are great....Burlington, Granby, Suffield, Canton, to name just a few that come to mind..

John Herman
These towns are kind of far from Manchester where the OP's husband works. Burlington would require a commute through Hartford and that would NOT be good. Jay

Old 09-14-2010, 08:45 PM

So, an update on that house in coventry. Yes, it is a foreclosure. The house has so much potiental, and I really like it, but I don't have the extra 100k it would take to fix it up. It has been stripped of wiring, light fixtures, and appliances. The basement has a sump (?) pump in it, and the furnace and laundry areas are up on raised platforms...flooding? It has numerous holes in the walls, and all of it would require re-painting and new carpet........yikes. Even if I low-balled the offer to 250K, it would still require so much more work than I can afford, or have time for.
dangit! I was hopeful on this one....

Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 AM

Sorry to hear that the house did not meet your expectations. That is what happens all too often with foreclosures. Keep looking though. You will find the right house if you are patient. Note that we are getting closer to winter and the homes that have been on the market a while are likely to be open to lower offers. Few people want to keep a home over the winter if they do not have to. Jay

Old 09-18-2010, 06:51 PM

does anyone have any info on in east windsor? i'm looking at a house near the river, around the spring st, water st area. is it safe? is there any problem with the river at certain times? any special town rules or restrictions? is it viable or on the way down? any major crime issues?
thanks in advance for any help!

Old 09-18-2010, 09:03 PM

That section of East Windsor is called Warehouse Point. My son played baseball at the field there on Water Street for a season. If I remember correctly there is sewage treatment plant there that sometimes gives off an oder. Also there may be times when some of that area MAY be subjected to flooding since it is so close to the river.

As for East Windsor itself, the people I have met there are very nice but it is a bit of an odd mix. There are working class, upper middle class and what I would call rural poor there. There are a few public housing complexes there as well. The people I know there admit it is a strange mix and can make for some interesting situations in town. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut