Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,869 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a job in Norwalk. I also recently graduated from college and I want to live somewhere fun. It seems like SoNo has a good nightlife and is kind of an "it" spot, but there is even more to do in Stamford. At this point I am leaning towards finding a place in Stamford, but I am open to hearing objections. My main question is, how bad is the morning/evening commute from Stamford to Norwalk and vice-versa? Also, what are the good/bad places to live in Stamford? Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 10:06 AM

2,373 posts, read 2,205,374 times
Stamford to Norwalk would be a reverse commute, and generally goes smoothly on I-95 and Metro-North. Even if you get snarled in traffic, both are very close to one another. Good places in Stamford for college grads usually is the CBD (very expensive) however the only real neighbourhoods I would avoid are much of the South End (even thought there's plenty of construction now) and I believe the it's called the West Side or End I can't remember.

Best of luck.

~Cheers

Old 09-15-2010, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,869 times
Thanks for your help! What do you mean by the CBD? I've looked at the different neighborhoods, and I'm not sure which one that stands for.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:54 AM

2,373 posts, read 2,205,374 times
Some of the apartment Guides call it the Central Business District or Downtown, depending. It's the most urban part of Stamford with the most going on after 5pm, excellent food too which is always a plus.

~Cheers

Old 09-15-2010, 07:48 PM

418 posts, read 1,413,421 times
Most attractive neighborhoods for young folks are the CBD (downtown) and the Bedford/ Summer corridor leading up to Bull's Head. Are you working in SoNo? Could you take the train? I would be really annoyed with that commute if I had a chance to avoid it.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:01 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,461,978 times
I lived in Norwalk and Stamford in my 20s and I would definitely prefer Stamford, however I worked there too so that helps. The commute is not bad, only like 10 miles and it is reverse from Stamford to Norwalk.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:50 PM

13 posts, read 39,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmclaughlin View Post
I recently accepted a job in Norwalk. I also recently graduated from college and I want to live somewhere fun. It seems like SoNo has a good nightlife and is kind of an "it" spot, but there is even more to do in Stamford. At this point I am leaning towards finding a place in Stamford, but I am open to hearing objections. My main question is, how bad is the morning/evening commute from Stamford to Norwalk and vice-versa? Also, what are the good/bad places to live in Stamford? Thanks in advance!!
Stamford and Norwalk are seperated by just 5 exits. From what you say, I feel Stamford downtown is the best place for you. Its a happening place with overflowing pubs/restaurants in mainly two streets - Atlantic St & Summer St. Commute between Stamford & Norwalk is also great, you have train station - walkable from Central stamford. Safety is at its peak between train station and End of Bedford St and between Washington Blvd & Elm St. You have tons of ways to goto Norwalk - I-95 which is reverse way so no raffic whatsoever any time, you also have local roads that takes you to Connecticut Ave in Norwalk. I have lived in Stamford for past four years and I enjoyed it. All stores, commute areas, entertainment centers, banks & community centers are accessible/easily walkable from Central Stamford - which has around atleast 10 apartment complexes.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:36 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,907,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytorespond View Post
Safety is at its peak between train station and End of Bedford St and between Washington Blvd & Elm St.
The area between Washington Blvd. and Elm that lies south of South State Street is still not "safe", and should be avoided. Perhaps once Harbor Point is completed the area will be safe, but as of right now, hell no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut