Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:58 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
For the same distance to Providence, but closer to NYC and mass transit that will take you into NYC, check out Branford, Guilford and Madison. Here, you're about 90 minutes from each point.
I agree. These are really good places to look for somebody who has to get to both NYC and Providence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 08:22 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,300 times
I would recommend Glastonbury, we moved here from NY about 5 years ago, great town. Just Southeast of Hartford. Easy access to 91 for the commute to NY, and commute to Providence is a nice ride through the country.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:14 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
I would recommend Glastonbury, we moved here from NY about 5 years ago, great town. Just Southeast of Hartford. Easy access to 91 for the commute to NY, and commute to Providence is a nice ride through the country.
It would have been a quicker drive had I-384 been completed. It was supposed to go all the way to Providence, but only ends in Bolton, CT. You can even see signs that say "Providence" as you are driving on I-84 approaching I-384, and on I-384 itself as well. Funny how misleading that is!

Old 09-16-2010, 07:52 PM

44 posts, read 96,447 times
I live in a town adjacent to Middletown, and I recommend Middletown. Downtown doesn't have the ambiance of Amherst, but it has quite a few good restaurants, along with a couple of music venues, and movie theaters, and Wesleyan offers lots of culture. You'll be able to find very nice housing in your price range. The one thing I don't know is how good the school system is if you plan to stay that long.

I also agree with whomever suggested Glastonbury. The town center is really pleasant and very much has a town feeling to it.

There are also some very charming towns on Route 9, such as Essex and Chester. They have more the feel of Amherst, though they don't have a college.

Good luck!

Old 09-16-2010, 08:04 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
If your husband is commuting to Providence some days and New York City other days, you should probably be along the coast, about midway between the two places. Lots of those places you mentioned are in the central or northern part of the state, so they'll be really inconvenient to get to from both places.

I agree with JayCT that you want to be on the coast, east of New Haven. He can get to New York by train from New Haven or one of the stations for the Shoreline East train service.

I've heard Madison and Guilford are really nice towns in that vicinity.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:25 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,300 times
Madison is a great town but very expensive. Guilford you may be better off, or even Branford. Essex is nice as well.

Yes I know the signs that say "Providence" off of 84 just east of Hartford. Would have been nice if there was a highway from there right to Providence. It is a nice ride though once 384 ends in Bolton, you go through nice towns like Columbia, Brooklyn, etc etc then into Rhode Island. Route 6 I think it is all the way?

Another nice town is North Haven.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:59 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It would have been a quicker drive had I-384 been completed. It was supposed to go all the way to Providence, but only ends in Bolton, CT. You can even see signs that say "Providence" as you are driving on I-84 approaching I-384, and on I-384 itself as well. Funny how misleading that is!
384 to 6 is the preferred route by the state to Providence, and 6 is better handled to hold the traffic between the two.

The 74-44-101 connection I like better (fewer stop lights and town centers, better speeding potential, less traffic)... but this is not the ideal through route, especially for trucks. More hills and a little more winding than 6.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:28 PM

13 posts, read 39,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose+Jim View Post
[SIZE=3]My husband has just accepted a job where he will be working in Providence for two days and NYC for two days per week so we are moving down to CT; somewhere in a sort of square of torrington, storrs, east lyme and milford. We have been living in Amherst, Ma which I love. I really like the college town feel. We are in our mid 20s and have two young children, 15 months and 7 weeks so we are looking for somewhere there might be a park to take the kids and the opportunity to make friends. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We are looking for a town which has a sense of community. I would like an area that has a fair amount of green space and not too far from open countryside. I don't really want to be in a very suburban area. But I also want to be less than 30 mins from a big enough town that has shopping and gym. We want to relatively close to bars, restaurants and cinemas for the occasional night out. After living in a college town, I would quite like to find another, as I love the atmosphere here.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We are looking to buy and have about $450,000 to spend on a 4 bed home with a decent garden. It is pretty important to me that I am living in somewhere fairly safe, especially since my husband will be working late for part of the week. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We are heading down to ct over the weekend and have a few areas to look at; we are going to see Middletown/Portland because I quite liked it when I visited friends at college and litchfield because I have a friend there. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Any suggestions for a good places to check out?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thanks[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Even, New London, Groton are nice places.
a. Both are harbors
b. Equal distance from NYC & Providence
c. Accessible to Hartford, Stamford too
d. Low living costs and quite and beautiful places
e. Lots of early family people with PFizer being the primary bread-provider.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:54 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times
New London is much closer to Providence than NYC. It's about 40 miles to PVD, 90 to NYC.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:46 PM

720 posts, read 1,708,726 times
My daughter has a 22 month old and LOVES living in Guilford. Fantastic town park/playground on the beach, town lake, she belongs to a parents group, there are library and tumbling activities for toddlers, the downtown green is lovely, and all kinds of town sponsored activities. She has a lovely older colonial on an acre---just a great place to live. She and her husband also belong to a jogging group. Best of luck on your search!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut