Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:16 PM

170 posts, read 826,430 times

Advertisements

**SORRY, apparently I don't know the difference between northeast and northwest. I meant NORTHWEST Connecticut!**

Hey guys! I would love some suggestions from you locals about a day trip I'm taking with my partner to see some fall foliage in your beautiful state.

We live in NYC and plan to just spend one day driving around and admiring nature and checking out some small towns along the way. But we don't really know the area, so I've compiled a route based on some online recommendations. What do you guys think of this?

- Driving up from NYC on route 15 (taken this before, it's pretty nice)
- turning north on 7 and heading up to Kent
- making a loop through Pond Mountain Natural Area (looping up Macedonia Brook Rd and back down Skiff Mountain Road)
- continuing up 7 to West Cornwall (checking out covered bridge!)
- taking 128/4/63 down to Litchfield
- taking Milton Rd. through the Historic Distric and looping down to Warren
- 45 down to New Preston
- 47 down to Washington Depot and then back to New Preston
- heading to Bulls Bridge either by looping around Lake Waramaug or skipping it and taking a more direct road

And from there we'd head back to NYC, ideally along a different road. We thought of driving west to the Hudson river and taking highway 9 straight into Manhattan (we live on the northern tip of the island).

I chose this route purely based on internet research that said each of those town was pretty, or the route between two towns was nice. I'm not set on any of them in particular, so if you guys think there's something we should add or subtract, let me know! We're hoping to see beautiful trees and gorgeous nature, and be able to stop in some of these cute towns and wander, take pictures, etc. Any restaurant suggestions along the way are also welcome!

We're thinking the week of the 3rd - 10th of October should be pretty much peak time, but if you think we should go a week earlier or later, let me know.

Thanks for your help guys!

Last edited by nickasarbata; 09-17-2010 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: incorrect location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 09:27 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Fall foliage up in that corner of the sate tends to peak about mid October so a trip around the 3rd may be too early. Try to plan for the 15th of the month. .

Old 09-18-2010, 10:28 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
That's an insanely long "day-trip," if you plan on actually stopping along the way to walk around the historic district, or walk over to where the actual falls of Kent Falls are and enjoy nature up close and personal. A route like what you described, might be better enjoyed split into an overnight. Yes, you can definitely see it all in one day, but it just seems like it'd be wasted gas/time/energy/trip if all you'll be doing is looking out the window.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:52 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That's an insanely long "day-trip," if you plan on actually stopping along the way to walk around the historic district, or walk over to where the actual falls of Kent Falls are and enjoy nature up close and personal. A route like what you described, might be better enjoyed split into an overnight. Yes, you can definitely see it all in one day, but it just seems like it'd be wasted gas/time/energy/trip if all you'll be doing is looking out the window.
I agree. Can't hurt to stop overnight at a bed and breakfast.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:30 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Sugar Maples are turning now in lower Fairfield...Mid September. Amazing. Those are the leaves that turn bright orange and red.

Just drive on the Merrit in a month...or why not just pick 1 spot on a mountain side and sit there and enjoy.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:47 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,557 times
i have heard the the foliage this year will be earlier than normal due to hot dry summer,not sure if that is correct but it is what i have been told.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:58 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Virtually any rural route in western CT will provide you with breathtaking views of foliage. And I agree with others who mentioned that you should wait until mid October for prime foliage season. It's still too early. Now, I have driven almost every single state route in Litchfield county, so here is my recommendation, to maximize scenic views:
  • Don't take U.S. 7 north from CT-15. Instead, take CT-53 north when you get off CT-15. CT-53 is more rural in character, has winding roads that take you beside Saugatuck Reservoir through Weston and Redding. Plus, beautiful houses in Weston.
  • Again, north of Danbury, I would choose CT-133 over U.S. 7. U.S. 7 is more urbanized and you will have to deal with numerous traffic lights. CT-133 is beautiful and makes you feel like you're driving in a tunnel made of trees.
  • The segment of CT-109 between U.S. 202 and CT-47 is a must drive. Be careful though; it's dangerous with many blind sharp turns and roller coaster hills. However, it's gorgeous.
  • Definitely drive through the covered bridge in Cornwall on Ct-128.
  • I would highly recommend CT-43 and CT-63 north into Canaan. Very high elevation views. CT-43 really gives you that "back road" feel to it.
  • Route 41 through Salisbury and Sharon is pretty phenomenal, too.
  • CT-8 north through Colebrook, and CT-318 in Barkhamsted are gorgeous too. There's a huge damn there with mountains/hills surrounding it.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:44 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
i have heard the the foliage this year will be earlier than normal due to hot dry summer,not sure if that is correct but it is what i have been told.
and because of the lack of rain all summer the foliage is not supposed to be great this year, either.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:23 PM

170 posts, read 826,430 times
Thanks everyone for your tips (we'll probably wait until mid-October then) and esp. nep321 for all the advice! I'm gonna have to sit down with a map of CT and mark all these routes down!

Any tips on a restaurants along the way, or any non-nature touristy things to see/do?

Old 09-19-2010, 02:40 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
and because of the lack of rain all summer the foliage is not supposed to be great this year, either.
That's what I thought too, but last night on the news they said it should still be fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut