Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:28 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,906,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
The crime in Hartford is isolated primarily to certain neighborhoods South and North of the city. If you are not getting it on with someone elses girl in the West Indian Social club up in the ghetto, you'll be fine.
lol! So true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 2,664 times
I would say Manchester

Old 09-24-2010, 06:19 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,005,758 times
How big a factor is night life and living close to the bars.

Its pretty cool if you can find a place down town and just walk places on saturday and sunday.

That's the advantage, I used to work downtown too so it was really convenient.

I really wasn't a big fan of manchester, it doesn't have as much culture as hartford, not as nice as west hartford.

Really I think you best bets are Hartford if you want the easy access to nightlife and second West hartford if you want a more suburban feel.

I lived in hartford for 3 years. It was super convenient, nice to be by the bars but kind of scummy, and deserted on the weekends.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:32 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,934,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
I really wasn't a big fan of manchester, it doesn't have as much culture as hartford, not as nice as west hartford.
I don't disagree with that statement, but keep in mind my recommendation was for the OP ease of commute, finding a decent place without drama and being near stuff so they can find their own vibe for the area.

Having said that, lets also keep in mind that DT Hartford is literally a freakin 10 minute drive away. I can almost tell how many office lights are on in City Place from elevation in Manchester. lol

There is also a cool little scene going on here such as Hungry Tiger, O Sheas, Gradys, Main Pub, Corey's, Hartford Road Cafe etc if someone wants to head out here too.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:58 PM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
First let me apologize for letting your other post get so out of hand.

To answer your question, if being near the action is more important than an easy daily commute, then look to West Hartford for an apartment.

If you want a more big city feel, you could look for a place in downtown Hartford. It is safe despite what some have said.

If you want your daily commute to be easy but still be within a 20 to 30 minute drive of the action, then I would agree with the others to look in Manchester or Vernon. Good luck, Jay

Old 09-25-2010, 05:12 AM

88 posts, read 220,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keagan35 View Post
I posted a thread a yesterday but it seems most of the replies where about something far beyond what i was asking about. I am moving to the Hartford area, for better or worse, and I am looking for help with where I should look to live. I will be working in South Windsor so, not knowing the area, should I live in West Hartford or Manchester? I am single, young, professional and enjoy being close to the things that a city has to offer such as theaters, arenas, bars, etc. If Hartford has a "hip" scene where is it and where should i live to be close to it? If not, then where is the closest place to it? One last thing, I would apprecite it if the replies answered my question(s). I have very limited amount of time to find a suitable home. Thanks so much everyone.
My daughter lives in Heritage Apts in Windsor right off exit 37 on I-91. She has been there for about 4-5 years and enjoys it there OK. She has a 2 bed room for about a grand a month with heat.
Close to Hartford, Manchester for food and shopping, close to all major Interstates. I would try and stay on the east side of the river if you are working there as it can be a real pain to travel in the rush hour.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 AM

71 posts, read 121,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill95 View Post
My daughter lives in Heritage Apts in Windsor right off exit 37 on I-91. She has been there for about 4-5 years and enjoys it there OK. She has a 2 bed room for about a grand a month with heat.
Close to Hartford, Manchester for food and shopping, close to all major Interstates. I would try and stay on the east side of the river if you are working there as it can be a real pain to travel in the rush hour.

I lived in CT 46 years mostly in the Hartford area, the best advice I can give is avoid crossing the river (we call it going through the tunnel it's not really a tunnel, but a PIA) it's a tight area and snow oh boy! snow and rain add more of a challenge,, an accident can literally tie you up 1 hour or longer.. Forget the nightlife if you need a theatre drive to it,,if you need "hip" finds the right clubs (I'm a little to old to know anymore) Make the wrong turn in Hartford and you will be in not so desirable locations (and their is more than one),, If you choose Manchester, you'll find a good rent, be near restaurants and stores, no need to worry to much about parking meters, close to the interstate, easier commute..I think someone suggested watching the news,, check the traffic cams in the morning around 7:30am. Good Luck

Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,378,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomakeitinCT View Post
Unfortunatly it did happen to a friend of mine. The apartment was great, everything sounded great...then she moved in and when things needed to be fixed her landloard was no where to be found. When she did find her landlord he didnt want to deal with fixing anything...she moved out and broke her lease and had to pay. Granted this could happen from finding an apartment through the paper too. But with the other problems my other friends have had on Craigslist...it just makes me leery. And most management compainies have 24hr maintenance. I think it comes down to finding the right landlord and also the right apartment (if managed). There are ups and downs to both and you cant always be certain....it's a risk you take.
If they don't fix something that they are responsible for that is a neccessity like a sink/toilet ect.....DON'T PAY THE RENT and stay in the apartment rent free until the lease is up. Just make sure you take a camera and document EVERYTHING including tape recording a conversation with the landlord asking him to fix something. He'll never be able to evict you. He's obviously an unprofessional idiot if he's for example not fixing a toilet that broke a month ago.

Last edited by mikelizard860; 09-29-2011 at 09:45 AM..

Old 09-29-2011, 09:39 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,727,967 times
It is easy to commute from West Hartford to South Windsor - just take N. Main to Cottage Grove Road to 291, instead of going through Hartford on 84. But you have to deal with lights.

Manchester will be cheaper, has large, modern apartment complexes. Has big shopping malls, ethnically and socioeconomically mixed population that is trending downwards socioeconomically. Not where you want to buy a home for a family, but okay for renting for a year. West Hartford is also mixed ethnically, but higher socioeconomic class, better educated, although the southeast section of town is becoming more like Hartford over time. Fantastic, vibrant town center with lots of shops, restaurants, great library, etc. Older rental stock, more expensive rent. Population is overall more educated.

Come and look at both.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:15 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,934,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Manchester will be cheaper, has large, modern apartment complexes. Has big shopping malls, ethnically and socioeconomically mixed population that is trending downwards socioeconomically. Not where you want to buy a home for a family, but okay for renting for a year.
It is? What do you base this on? Why are builders still putting in new developments with 300-500K homes and 55+ communities that sell for over 300K?

Median household income 2009: $60,405 (State average is 67K) 2000: $49,426

Estimated median house or condo value in 2009: $215,873 2000: $122,900

Crime index 2000: 325 2009: 248 (National average 319)

Etc Income is up, home values are up, crime is down (A lot). ?

It's not utopia, but I'm not seeing what you are. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut