Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 3,178 times

Advertisements

My question is very similiar to others posted, but I want to get a sense of diversity and social prospects for a professional woman of color in Greenwich. I've lived in NYC, Chicago, and DC - each offering vibrant "inclusive" oppotunities. I chose Greenwich for it's relaxed attitude, beautiful scenery, and proximity to NYC. I'm okay with laid-back; I don't want unattachd and isolated. Thoughts?

Crystal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 08:21 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,442,826 times
Greenwich has more of a "metropolitan" fast-paced feel than relaxed attitude. (You will notice this in the way people drive and how they act while shopping.) I wouldn't call people from Greenwich "unattached"; most take some warming up. Greenwich isn't diverse but it also isn't prejudiced. As long as you're not afraid to strike up a conversation and join some groups in the community, you shouldn't have any trouble fitting in. Talk to someone from the Greenwich Newcomers Club: Greenwich CT Newcomers I am sure they can direct you towards groups/activities you may be interested in.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 AM

92,717 posts, read 123,032,038 times
You should be fine due to it's proximity to NYC and if you can afford Greenwich, then you are "doing your thing".

BTW- if you are still open to other places close to NYC, you might like places like Nyack, Tarrytown and Dobbs ferry, among others in NY and Montclair and Hoboken in NJ.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:37 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,816,112 times
Generally speaking, we don't view our wealthier communities as being biased or racist. However, Greenwich did have an issue that raised some questions in the past:Greenwich agrees to settle beach bias case - Connecticut Post.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:43 AM

34,808 posts, read 56,697,113 times
I think Greenwich is more of a family-oriented town than a town with a singles scene. Neighboring Stamford however does have a much more vibrant nightlife and would offer more to do. For the best of both worlds, live in Greenwich and go to Stamford for entertainment. Jay

Old 09-30-2010, 11:51 AM

21,588 posts, read 31,083,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Generally speaking, we don't view our wealthier communities as being biased or racist. However, Greenwich did have an issue that raised some questions in the past:Greenwich agrees to settle beach bias case - Connecticut Post.
This was a frivolous lawsuit and the town should NOT have settled.
"The group members said they were turned away because of their skin color. The town said it was because they were not carrying the proper beach entry cards."

I was turned away from Greenwich Point for not having the proper ID card in 2007, and I'm white. This is simply a case of people looking to break the rules, and crying racism when they find out that they can't. Elitism is not racist.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This was a frivolous lawsuit and the town should NOT have settled.
"The group members said they were turned away because of their skin color. The town said it was because they were not carrying the proper beach entry cards."

I was turned away from Greenwich Point for not having the proper ID card in 2007, and I'm white. This is simply a case of people looking to break the rules, and crying racism when they find out that they can't. Elitism is not racist.
So true! It hasn't happened much this year, but last year I used to wait in my car to get into the beach for 10 min. at a clip while people haggled with the women checking beach passes. Some were cyclists who thought they didn't need to pay because they didn't have a car, one person said that it was too confusing to find out where to buy a pass so she shouldn't have to at all, and of course you had people that just came trying to get through for free because paying $40 per car is "absurd." People forget that towns charge fees for a reason and it isn't to be "elitist." In the case of Greenwich, Tod's Point is huge (and lawnmowed, trail cleaned, beach cleaned, & garbage picked) and upkeep/police/park employees cost a significant amount of money per year. Non-residents also forget that Greenwich also has other parks not located along the beach that cost tons of money to maintain. (I am thinking of Bruce Park in particular which does not charge fees but has a large amount of maintenance associated with cleanup of animal waste and pond maintenance.)

Last edited by Kristin85; 10-01-2010 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 10-15-2010, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,178 times
Thank you everyone for your comments. My takeaway is Greenwich, like other places I've lived (Chicago, DC, NYC) requires an open mind, patience, sense of adventure, and thick-skin. I'll rent for 6 months and see if I can create the lifestyle in seek (outside of going into the city every weekend); if not, I'll chalk it up to lessons learned. Hey, you have to take chances.

Thanks again.
Crystal

Old 10-18-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalC View Post
Thank you everyone for your comments. My takeaway is Greenwich, like other places I've lived (Chicago, DC, NYC) requires an open mind, patience, sense of adventure, and thick-skin. I'll rent for 6 months and see if I can create the lifestyle in seek (outside of going into the city every weekend); if not, I'll chalk it up to lessons learned. Hey, you have to take chances.

Thanks again.
Crystal
I hope you'll like it here, Crystal! I re-read this thread and saw that you're probably into the bar scene. Check out the bar/restaurant "Lolita" on Friday/Saturday for the young singles scene (and wear stilettos), "Sundown Saloon" on Greenwich Ave. for the casual sportsbar scene, and "The Ginger Man" on Greenwich Ave. for the professional/older scene. (Be careful at "The Ginger Man" though; guys coming back from work in NYC go there for drinks at 5:30 PM onwards on weekdays and they get pretty rowdy.)

Old 12-29-2010, 11:35 PM

9 posts, read 42,556 times
hi. did you end up renting in greenwich? I am looking into it as well (job relo to stamford from manhattan)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut