Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2015, 05:29 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,509,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorneau View Post
It's just a tad toasty in the house right now...gotta close down the air a little bit!
Great Picture. Try loading North/South like this picture. I pack mine just like this and get 6 hours of 400-600 stove top temps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 05:38 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
Quote:
It's just a tad toasty in the house right now...gotta close down the air a little bit!
Wow to the box size!! Awesome. I need an upgrade again. Getting tired of my mid size stove even though it good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Great Picture. Try loading North/South like this picture. I pack mine just like this and get 6 hours of 400-600 stove top temps.
Wow to the pack! That's my problem. North South I can only fit like 1 inch pieces. LOL! I can fit 21" pieces wide but depth its not deep.(5-9"?) Also I hate to waste time cutting them to that size but I may have to next year.

I didn't load the stove last night on the coldest night of the year. LMAO. Furnace came on as the rooms dropped below 60. Damn.

Damper open all the way now and blower is on (huge difference with the blower!)

Old 02-14-2015, 06:17 AM

200 posts, read 241,265 times
Quote:

I wish I could, but my stove is 24" wide and about 12" deep. When loading the firebox, I usually get 5 or 6 (depending on my Tetris skills that moment, lol) 18" pieces in there and they'll go for about 5 hours between 400° and 600°.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:08 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,509,355 times
Quote:
I wish I could, but my stove is 24" wide and about 12" deep. When loading the firebox, I usually get 5 or 6 (depending on my Tetris skills that moment, lol) 18" pieces in there and they'll go for about 5 hours between 400° and 600°.
My stove isn't that big. I want to get a bigger one actually. I think its 24" by 16". I cut my pieces down to 14" to load them North/South.

Go get a miter saw like this and cut them down and load it North/South. $100 at Home Depot or lowes. Trust me. Such a better burn. Don't be afraid to pack it almost all the way to the top. I open the air let it char up and then close it down. Hours of great heat with no
messing with the stove.

Next winter I am going to get a bigger stove. You can always build smaller fires with a bigger stove as needed. Then when its cold like this they can handle it.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:15 PM

200 posts, read 241,265 times
Quote:
Go get a miter saw like this and cut them down and load it North/South. $100 at Home Depot or lowes.
I have pretty much that exact miter saw (do a lot of wood working projects around the house)

Quote:
Trust me. Such a better burn.
I believe you ... it just seems like a lot of extra work (in my particular setup) for what might be an extra hour of burn time. Who knows though ... I'll have to try it out a few times...maybe it will significantly go beyond the burn time I get now. I work from home so tending it is not an issue ... but it would be nice to stretch those overnight burn times I will give this a try.

Quote:
Don't be afraid to pack it almost all the way to the top. I open the air let it char up and then close it down. Hours of great heat with no messing with the stove.
I pack mine to the gills too ... the picture from an earlier post with the 600°+ temps was about 2 hours and 45 minutes into the burn. That particular load went about another 2 hours before dropping off to around 400° and I reloaded. I do the same thing; keep the damper open to let the wood get good and glowing, then close it down for a long burn.

Quote:
Next winter I am going to get a bigger stove. You can always build smaller fires with a bigger stove as needed. Then when its cold like this they can handle it.
Is yours an insert? Mine is and I think I'm at the biggest I can get for the space (probably). It does a really good job though. With these frigid temps, it's kept the house (cape, two floors, about 2200sf) around 70° ... during the day upstairs usually get's to about 78°.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:35 PM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
A miter! Why didn't I think of that! Lol. I'll have to try that. I got a brand new blade too. . Seems easier than using a chainsaw. Thanks!

Old 02-15-2015, 04:16 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,373,765 times
I put this crib together to take care of the longer splits....stack'em, cut'em in one shot.....(the things you'll come up with when you've had a few beverages)

Old 02-15-2015, 02:18 PM

830 posts, read 684,083 times
Wow, that's epic.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 AM

6 posts, read 6,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Ohhh, I'm jealous of that stove : ) I don't have one here and I miss having one (I did for 10 years at another place). I love my home but I do miss coming in after a long cold day of work, and warming up in my rocker by the stove...

I got an estimate for $5000 for a stove, hearth and piping-maybe someday I'll do it!
I'm jealous too! I am looking for a wood burning stove for ages. It's my dream and it's really cool to have it in the lounge.
Now I'm thinking of buying on Crownstoves.co.uk. As for me their prices are reasonable and I've heard many good comments. But there are quite huge range and I can't make a choice!

Old 02-19-2015, 09:02 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,077 times
I had about 6 cords laid out for this winter.

I would estimate i have used 3.5 cords.

have about 1 cord left that relatively easily accessible.

The rest is buried under here

Bad planning on my part!
Attached Thumbnails
Chilly, Got My Wood and Pellets Burning :)-img_20150219_063724786-small-.jpg   Chilly, Got My Wood and Pellets Burning :)-img_20150216_181548484-small-.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut