Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:42 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
LMAO! Maybe he wasn't. LOL

Split ones stay uncovered all Spring and Summer until Oct. 1st when I put a tarp over them to protecxt from rain/snow.

Logs can get wet in the rain, they dont have to be covered.

Used to do it with Wedge and Sledge Hammer but now I only do that with giant pieces so I can lift them on the log splitter I got.
Sounds good. The only limiting factor is the amount of firewood you can store. How many cords do you burn every winter and how many can you store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 06:44 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Sounds good. The only limiting factor is the amount of firewood you can store. How many cords do you burn every winter and how many can you store?
I can store 15 without over crowding the property. I burn 4-6 depending on the winter.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:52 PM

Time for stove...gonna be in lower 40s tonight.
Wood stove - 6
Thermostat - 0

Old 10-10-2010, 07:35 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
Quote:

Split ones stay uncovered all Spring and Summer until Oct. 1st when I put a tarp over them to protecxt from rain/snow.

Logs can get wet in the rain, they dont have to be covered.

Maybe this explains why the firewood I often buy in late summer doesn't burn well. If it's been a wet summer the wood is wet and it hisses and struggles to burn. I prefer buying firewood earlier in the year and storing it, covered just at the top. It burns much better than wet firewood. We had a dry summer here though, so that hasn't been an issue with the wood I bought last month.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Maybe this explains why the firewood I often buy in late summer doesn't burn well. If it's been a wet summer the wood is wet and it hisses and struggles to burn. I prefer buying firewood earlier in the year and storing it, covered just at the top. It burns much better than wet firewood. We had a dry summer here though, so that hasn't been an issue with the wood I bought last month.
I think its reflected in the price isnt it? dry summer wood will be more expensive than later summer wood.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I think its reflected in the price isnt it? dry summer wood will be more expensive than later summer wood.
Correct, its also the person. Lots of crooked people out there will say its seasoned and bring you green wood. Some will throw Pine in the mix. Some will give you rott. Its amazing the stories I hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
You dont have to buy beginning of the year unless your getting a good off season deal and just store it...keep it uncovered in the sun all summer then cover JUST THE TOP like you said..

Covering the entire pile to ground will lead to mold and mildew on pieces.

And having a drought has nothing to do with what you buy last month...the tree might have come down the day before..

Old 10-11-2010, 05:47 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
Quote:

And having a drought has nothing to do with what you buy last month...the tree might have come down the day before..
Don't even get me started on that---so many people who promise seasoned firewood sell wood that looks like it WAS cut the day before. That is another reason I prefer to buy firewood earlier in the year, since unseasoned wood just doesn't burn well.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 AM

Cambium, did you insist on the arborist to drop the high BTU wood only? Why don't they split the trees themselves and sell it on the market? Am I missing something?

Old 10-11-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Cambium, did you insist on the arborist to drop the high BTU wood only? Why don't they split the trees themselves and sell it on the market? Am I missing something?
$2000 to take down a tree. Its pointless for them to stand there and split to make $200. Its easier for them to Chip, throw out, sell to a mill, or drop off to me. ... Going off topic slightly...dont want this thread closed since I'm keeping track..

Stove: 6
Thermostat: 0

Old 10-11-2010, 07:56 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Um, we haven't turned on our heat yet and quite frankly I do not see the need. The temp outside may be going down but inside it has been very comfortable. Now this may be from the warmth of the sun and the great insulation we have here (not likely); the number of appliances we have that generate heat; or the amount of hot air I can blow off when posting on this forum . Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut