Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 05:38 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,378,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

I haven't turned on the thermostat yet. Don't usually do till its like mid teens outside at night. Even if oil was $1.00 a gallon I wouldn't. lol
Oh no, my Wife would have none of that. When we do fire up the stove, she is comfortable with the house in the low 80's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 08:30 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
I'm considering just lighting the room on fire for heat today. My wood stove is like WTF?! I'm constantly feeding it and the firebox is small where I cant fit much in there.

I think I need an upgrade if these Polar Vortex's continue to drop south. My cheap steel Century Stove isn't going to cut it. CT is the new VT? lol

71° inside but now there's wind outside and temps in the teens during the day. The wind makes it harder and I refuse to touch the thermostat!

Old 12-28-2017, 08:56 AM

10,085 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
I'm considering just lighting the room on fire for heat today. My wood stove is like WTF?! I'm constantly feeding it and the firebox is small where I cant fit much in there.

I think I need an upgrade if these Polar Vortex's continue to drop south. My cheap steel Century Stove isn't going to cut it. CT is the new VT? lol

71° inside but now there's wind outside and temps in the teens during the day. The wind makes it harder and I refuse to touch the thermostat!
Might want to consider a space heater. Yes, it's cheating but when its so cold, who cares! lol

Last week I bought a Lasko space heater at Lowes. It even girates to spread the heat around. Best thing since sliced bread.

Another bonus is that you can keep the house at a relatively cool 70 degrees, yet with the supplemental space heater the bedroom (or whatever closed room you put the space heater in) remains nice and toasty. I'm expecting some extra savings by burning less oil this winter. lol

Old 12-29-2017, 06:16 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Might want to consider a space heater. Yes, it's cheating but when its so cold, who cares! lol

Last week I bought a Lasko space heater at Lowes. It even girates to spread the heat around. Best thing since sliced bread.

Another bonus is that you can keep the house at a relatively cool 70 degrees, yet with the supplemental space heater the bedroom (or whatever closed room you put the space heater in) remains nice and toasty. I'm expecting some extra savings by burning less oil this winter. lol
I have a Lasko fan at work, 4' oscillating. I love it! I wondered about their heaters.

Have you measured electric output with it?

ps - 70 is not cool in the winter!!

Old 12-29-2017, 06:32 PM

Been emptying the ash bed pretty much once a day. I think I burned an entire cord this week. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Might want to consider a space heater.
I do have one for the bedrooms and typically goes on the lowest setting when we drop to single digits/teens. Problem is electric usage if you use it too much. Might not be better than oil cost

Old 12-29-2017, 08:17 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,412 times
Quote:

Sounds like its time to upgrade. The Englander NC-30 is considered hands down one of the best stoves for the money. Huge firebox and well built in the USA. I have read you can sometimes catch them on sale for $699 in the off season.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Englande...-NCH/100291302

Imagine this Cam..

Old 12-29-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Sounds like its time to upgrade. The Englander NC-30 is considered hands down one of the best stoves for the money. Huge firebox and well built in the USA. I have read you can sometimes catch them on sale for $699 in the off season.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Englande...-NCH/100291302

Imagine this Cam..
I need 4-6" length pieces to fit them north-south like that and thats part of the problem. I have room width wise, not depth. So I cant get a deep stove. Also, hate to waste time cutting them to that length

I heard putting pieces in like that is more efficient.

But that is overload. I would never load it like that. Warping is a real thing.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:14 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,412 times
Quote:
I need 4-6" length pieces to fit them north-south like that and thats part of the problem. I have room width wise, not depth. So I cant get a deep stove. Also, hate to waste time cutting them to that length

I heard putting pieces in like that is more efficient.

But that is overload. I would never load it like that. Warping is a real thing.
You have a freestanding stove if I remember correctly right with its own flue pipe out the ceiling? So you don't have the depth to the back wall? Might limit your options.

I load my stove like that all the time and adjust the air down. Loading north-south like that burns long and hot. I also use a temperature sensor that has an alarm if the stove gets to hot just to be safe as I agree warping is a real thing.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=292

Old 12-30-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
You have a freestanding stove if I remember correctly right with its own flue pipe out the ceiling? So you don't have the depth to the back wall? Might limit your options.

I load my stove like that all the time and adjust the air down. Loading north-south like that burns long and hot. I also use a temperature sensor that has an alarm if the stove gets to hot just to be safe as I agree warping is a real thing.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=292
Cool sensor! Love gadgets. Not sure I need that though since my stove isn't in the basement. I'm always looking at the stove thermometer since its nearby.

Yes, verticle pipe through ceiling and close to backwall. I might have to put an upgrade one in the wasted fireplace space. We'll see.

Love looking at stacks of wood in snow. Something about it. I been taking from the back of stacks. I think I'm over a cord already.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:34 AM

10,085 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I have a Lasko fan at work, 4' oscillating. I love it! I wondered about their heaters.

Have you measured electric output with it?

ps - 70 is not cool in the winter!!
I haven't done that yet, but its suppose to deliver 1,500 watts.

This is the one I bought. It even has a remote control for convenience and girates up to 360 degrees, which makes it effective in spreading the heat rather quickly and evenly through out the room.

I also have a Lasko tower fan, which is what produced my confidence in this brand. Definitely worth it! I think the remote controls for both the fan and the space heater function on the same wavelength. I have been able to turn on both the heater and the fan with one control, sometimes at the same time. Crazy! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut