Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 04:22 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Just curious if Hartford or any city in CT has "no burn" days like we do in CA.
(Before some folks start jumping up and down the restrictions came under the Bush administration).
We check the State web site to get the OK to burn, most of the time its OK.
Thanks..AB
Interesting. I didnt know that, but it makes sense given the disaster of fires that happen in CA. I guess on days of drought we shouldnt use fireplaces or stoves but I dont think its a law in CT.

Got a piece of Elm in there that doesn't want to burn. Elm is like a rock! But once you get it going switch the thermostat to cool! lol

Speaking of which... Night of October 31st was the only night my heat kicked on. Its amazing not hearing the heat run day or night.

Barrel of Oil Now $85... Cold Snap coming in 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 04:23 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Just curious if Hartford or any city in CT has "no burn" days like we do in CA.
(Before some folks start jumping up and down the restrictions came under the Bush administration).
We check the State web site to get the OK to burn, most of the time its OK.
Thanks..AB
So the federal government said CA must have "no burn days"? Sounds like a local decision to me.

Anyhow, no we don't. Burn the woods down.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:38 PM

2,494 posts, read 3,245,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
So the federal government said CA must have "no burn days"? Sounds like a local decision to me.

Anyhow, no we don't. Burn the woods down.
Negative there, JV. Air standards are set by the EPA, this one under the Bush white house.
If the air gets dirty enough CT will get with the program.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:39 PM

2,494 posts, read 3,245,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Interesting. I didnt know that, but it makes sense given the disaster of fires that happen in CA. I guess on days of drought we shouldnt use fireplaces or stoves but I dont think its a law in CT.

Got a piece of Elm in there that doesn't want to burn. Elm is like a rock! But once you get it going switch the thermostat to cool! lol

Speaking of which... Night of October 31st was the only night my heat kicked on. Its amazing not hearing the heat run day or night.

Barrel of Oil Now $85... Cold Snap coming in 2 weeks.
Actually its about winter air quality set by the EPA. No forest fires around here during the winter.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:35 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
That's why I was pissed when FAA wanted to make Fairfield county a fly zone for the airports.. Last thing we need is air quality like Westchester or NYC.. And keep in mind taking a 5 mile radius there's probably less then 20 flues with smoke coming out of it...its mediscual the amount of wood being burned.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:48 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,328 times
Who cares, if your wood burns clean, there is no way they can enforce the regulations.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:30 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
To me this is taking away a basic right to heat your home the way you see fit. People have been burning wood since the dawn of time and it seems that this can not and should not be compromised. The same goes for outdoor furnaces which has recently been stopped here in CT. Seems like government sticking their noses where it does not belong. No wonder so many people are fed up and want smaller government. The breaking point is coming or maybe it has come as this years elections have shown. Jay

Old 11-11-2010, 08:54 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
To me this is taking away a basic right to heat your home the way you see fit. People have been burning wood since the dawn of time and it seems that this can not and should not be compromised. The same goes for outdoor furnaces which has recently been stopped here in CT. Seems like government sticking their noses where it does not belong. No wonder so many people are fed up and want smaller government. The breaking point is coming or maybe it has come as this years elections have shown. Jay
I agree, Jay. As long as people are burning clean wood I think we should have the right to burn it. But as for outdoor furnaces, aren't they still legal? I remember there was a proposed bill to ban them, but it died:

Environment: Bill To Ban Outdoor Woodburning Furnaces Defeated; Avon Says No To “Wild And Scenic”*|*newhartfordplus.com

The bill that would have prohibited the use of outdoor woodburning furnaces for home-heating between April 15 and October 15 was defeated in the Environment Committee this past Friday, March 19.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:07 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I think I knew the bill had died but many towns are trying to ban them as well locally. Seems that they should be regulated but an out and out ban seems to go too far, IMHO. Jay

Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I agree, Jay. As long as people are burning clean wood I think we should have the right to burn it. But as for outdoor furnaces, aren't they still legal? I remember there was a proposed bill to ban them, but it died:

Environment: Bill To Ban Outdoor Woodburning Furnaces Defeated; Avon Says No To “Wild And Scenic”*|*newhartfordplus.com

The bill that would have prohibited the use of outdoor woodburning furnaces for home-heating between April 15 and October 15 was defeated in the Environment Committee this past Friday, March 19.
Which exactly is my point. Even if it is illegal to burn clean, seasoned wood, the only way to get caught is when your family members call the EPA!

Avoid burning during divorce filing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut