Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 07:41 AM

209 posts, read 607,908 times

Advertisements

What's the situation at Noroton Heights; passed the parking lot on 95 south this morning and it was half empty. I live in Fairfield and always take the train out of fairfield but its a pain and we all know know what the lovely situation is there. Norton heights would work for me, train times, ride times, etc. What's it like to park here, is the lot permit parking only or are there other places to park nearby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 10:13 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I know people that park there in the daily spots occasionally. Its not too expensive but I think the number of spots are limited. You have to buy a pass at one of the local stores and keep it in your window. Otherwise you will get a ticket. I think there is a long waiting list for permits but not as bad as Fairfield or Westport. Then again who wants to drive down to Darien to catch a train. You hit a lot of traffic from Fairfield down to the exit for Noroton Heights. Jay

Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 AM

209 posts, read 607,908 times
I was driving to Greenwich today, passed the Noroton station and the lot was half empty so that got me thinking. I didn't hit any traffic today or very minimal at least. Its just such a clusterf^&ck at Fairfield. I live in fairfield. Permit parking forget it, parking at the lot is $6 bucks, KoC is $4 but both daily parkings there leave you out of luck if you aren't there early enough. I end up parking on round hill for free but its 1/2 mile walk each way and sometimes I just don't feel like doing it. Then getting to the platform is a mess because everyone and their brother boards the train here so its "musical" chairs getting on the train to get a seat. Love greenwich cause I exit, I park, I walk a few feet and I don't have to hurt anyone on the platform to get a seat.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:38 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,714 times
Attn.: Darien commuters: Selectmen consider $85 parking hike (http://www.acorn-online.com/joomla15/darientimes/news/local/71488-attn-darien-commuters-selectmen-consider-85-parking-hike.html - broken link)

Old 10-09-2010, 12:44 PM

5 posts, read 53,923 times
Default Noroton Hts Parking

The lot appears half empty because it is. Permits will be going up in price to $345, but that still leaves many people who I call "squatters": they have a permit, use it infrequently, and the result is empty spaces and a 7 year waiting list.

Here's the news this week:
Darien commuter parking increase is decreased (http://www.acorn-online.com/joomla15/darientimes/news/local/73047-darien-commuter-parking-increase-is-decreased.html - broken link)

Jim Cameron
CT Rail Commuter Council
Connecticut Rail Commuter Council

Old 10-09-2010, 03:30 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRailCommuterCouncil View Post
The lot appears half empty because it is. Permits will be going up in price to $345, but that still leaves many people who I call "squatters": they have a permit, use it infrequently, and the result is empty spaces and a 7 year waiting list.

Here's the news this week:
Darien commuter parking increase is decreased (http://www.acorn-online.com/joomla15/darientimes/news/local/73047-darien-commuter-parking-increase-is-decreased.html - broken link)

Jim Cameron
CT Rail Commuter Council
Connecticut Rail Commuter Council
As much as i detest the idea of privatization, the parking situation at our stations should be handed over to the private sector. It's the only way you'll ever see the situation rectified.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:23 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
As much as i detest the idea of privatization, the parking situation at our stations should be handed over to the private sector. It's the only way you'll ever see the situation rectified.
Private sector might just increase permit fees without solving underlying problem. The underlying problem is supply demand imbalance. Im thinking a strict first come first get rule should solve the problem.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:24 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Private sector might just increase permit fees without solving underlying problem. The underlying problem is supply demand imbalance. Im thinking a strict first come first get rule should solve the problem.
They can't botch things any worse than the state and local municipalities have done over the years. You have to understand that local decisions that are made regarding changes will quite possibly have negative ramifications for the politician(s) that enact the changes. Hence, we stay with status quo.

Privatize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut