Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 07:57 AM

44 posts, read 153,848 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Branford from a couple of hours to the north. I love the area and am settling in, but I'm looking for some local suggestions. Among other things, every guy needs to know a good barber, mechanic and tailor (presumably those are different people!). I can just use the phone book, but my last haircut proved the value of having good local advice (as in "I could have used some"). Any suggestions in or near Branford/East Haven? Other recommendations of other skilled professionals like plumbers, electricians, etc., are also very welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 07:48 PM

257 posts, read 610,240 times
Better late then never?

Tremonte Auto Group (GMC,Cadillac) across from All Pets Club on RTE 1 for a mechanic. The service manager, John, is a great guy and the mechanics there are great and don't give run arounds.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:31 PM

44 posts, read 153,848 times
Thanks -- I appreciate the info. I didn't get quite the response I hoped, oh well.

I'll answer one of my own questions if anyone cares: Deserio's Hair Cutting in downtown Branford. Ask for Lou, the owner. I guess they cut men's and women's hair, but when I've been by, it was classic barber shop. A mix of old timers, cops, etc., hanging out, BS-ing and joking about town politics, etc. Not the cheapest cut, but a friendly place and a great haircut (Lou still uses scissors instead of a shaver... nice!).

Old 10-29-2010, 01:53 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
kidyankee can probably answer this one, piece of cake. where is he?

Old 10-29-2010, 04:41 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,032 times
The best value for a hair cut that I've found is a place right near the Guilford Green (Water St. close to Whitfield St.). My favorite mechanic retired, so can't help you there. The only tailor I've used (once) was Greg's Tailor Shop (or something like that) on College St. in New Haven -- they were good but I have no basis for comparison.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:57 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Wow, I completely missed this thread. Nico - do you mean Village Barber? That's where I go. It's a good 12 minute drive for me but it's a great value and the barber (Steve I believe his name is) is a great guy.

As for tailors, I also head to Guilford for that. Village Seamstress and Tailor (right next to the barber shop actually). Nice people, decent prices and they do quality work very fast.

I can't help you with mechanics because a family friend in North Haven takes care of that for me.

If you have any other questions about Branford let me know. I've been pretty familiar with and active in the community since we moved here.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:30 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,032 times
Yep, Village Barber Shop. Let's face it, my hair is pretty simple to cut. This shop is great because they always take walk-ins, the price is great, and they are easy to get to. The people are nice and they're not pushing $20 shampoo on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut