Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:45 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,767,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarthaas View Post
Vince actually started Titan Sports Inc first, get your facts straight, plus someone allready told you more facts.

Even if you don't like Linda for what ever reason....don't vote at all. I would be ashamed to vote for Dick.

It's so stupid for liberals to use a republican's wealth (besides Linda, this goes for any race) to gain political acceptance to the middle class and lower. Atleast most republicans are down to earth and real about things.
Stewie, Stewie, Stewie.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHKO-...eature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 12:03 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,078,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarthaas View Post
Vince actually started Titan Sports Inc first, get your facts straight, plus someone allready told you more facts.

Even if you don't like Linda for what ever reason....don't vote at all. I would be ashamed to vote for Dick.

It's so stupid for liberals to use a republican's wealth (besides Linda, this goes for any race) to gain political acceptance to the middle class and lower. Atleast most republicans are down to earth and real about things.
So you find Linda down to Earth? Interesting. I find it particularly ridiculous to blame liberals for making Linda's wealth an issue, when she has used her wealth in an attempt to buy a seat in congress. $50 million dollars spent on an election? Really? That's not very congruent with the idea of fiscal conservatism. But of course, RushGlen and the other conservative ideologues (both the famous ones, and the armchair ideologues on this board) bash liberals for everything, including their own lot in life. Absurd.

I'm proud to vote. Blumenthal was not my first choice for a candidate. I would have been much happier voting for a true liberal. I like Rosa DeLauro, for example.

I am also proud to be a liberal. I want progressive ideas to be instituted, like single payer health care. I want cut military spending in half. I support social welfare programs that help give people a leg up and keep the poor from being desperate. I think we shouldn't be incarcerating drug offenders and that all prisoners should get humane treatment. I care about my fellow man and am willing to reasonably share my wealth and good fortune with those who are less fortunate. What's the reason to be conservative, besides "More for ME! Yay Me!" ?

Old 10-18-2010, 06:47 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,382,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So you find Linda down to Earth? Interesting. I find it particularly ridiculous to blame liberals for making Linda's wealth an issue, when she has used her wealth in an attempt to buy a seat in congress. $50 million dollars spent on an election? Really? That's not very congruent with the idea of fiscal conservatism. But of course, RushGlen and the other conservative ideologues (both the famous ones, and the armchair ideologues on this board) bash liberals for everything, including their own lot in life. Absurd.

I'm proud to vote. Blumenthal was not my first choice for a candidate. I would have been much happier voting for a true liberal. I like Rosa DeLauro, for example.

I am also proud to be a liberal. I want progressive ideas to be instituted, like single payer health care. I want cut military spending in half. I support social welfare programs that help give people a leg up and keep the poor from being desperate. I think we shouldn't be incarcerating drug offenders and that all prisoners should get humane treatment. I care about my fellow man and am willing to reasonably share my wealth and good fortune with those who are less fortunate. What's the reason to be conservative, besides "More for ME! Yay Me!" ?

Wow,
I wonder how much Bloomie has raised? Liberals spend as much as anyone else in campaigns. Only difference is she uses hers instead of milking the voters.

As for shareing your wealth, nobody has ever stopped people from doing that. The issue is the liberal progressives want to take everyones money & share it with the poor, mostly so those unfortunates will vote for them. Youare free to donate anything you want to anything you want. You can go to prisons & volunteer to help our criminals. Personally I dont care if they rot, they already have more than many not in jail. I do agree though that most drug use offenses should not require jail time.

I'm all for cutting military spending, I'm for cutting ALL spending because we really have nothing to spend. But cutting military so you can give to crack moms is simply stupid.

Heres a real progressive idea. Cut govt back to the size needed to administer the things it needs to function & let the people who actually earn money keep it. Taxes are for running the govt, not feeding the poor or saving the mideast from itself. Life is tough & hard and no matter how much you steal from the working man to give to your social problems that will not change. The fact is that the poor in our country choose to be poor, whether they admit it or even know it is irrelevant. Bloomie is a jerk of the highest order who could not even perform the relatively simple function of AG.
Vote for him & show your inability to escape sheepdom.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Wow,
I wonder how much Bloomie has raised? Liberals spend as much as anyone else in campaigns. Only difference is she uses hers instead of milking the voters.
Well, in the third quarter of 2010, Blumenthal raised 1.6 million. Wow. So if you believe that fundraising is milking the voters, I assume you don't like the current campaign finance laws? Would you support getting corporate money completely out of campaigns, or do you prefer anonymous Chinese corporations running political ads here too?

Quote:
As for shareing your wealth, nobody has ever stopped people from doing that. The issue is the liberal progressives want to take everyones money & share it with the poor, mostly so those unfortunates will vote for them. Youare free to donate anything you want to anything you want. You can go to prisons & volunteer to help our criminals. Personally I dont care if they rot, they already have more than many not in jail. I do agree though that most drug use offenses should not require jail time.
First, liberal progressive is a redundant term. I can tell you're one of those compassionate conservatives we have heard so much about!

Sorry, individual giving, and volunteering doesn't begin to meet the needs that we have. Not to mention volunteering doesn't address prison conditions, out whole focus on punishment, inconsistent sentencing, etc. All of these are societal issues, not something that can be overcome with me volunteering in a jail (which I have done in the past).

While you let these people "rot," you forget that one day 85% of them will be out of prison. What then? We've made better, angrier criminals. The focus needs to be changed and the system gutted.

As far as donations... If donations, churches, etc., met the needs of indigent, mentally ill and disabled, then I agree, government social welfare programs would not be needed. However, everyone knows that this is NOT the case. Individual giving and volunteering doesn't get us there. Perhaps if we worked on the social conditions so consistent with poverty in the US, there would be fewer poor people and we could look at a non-profit sector approach. Till then, we have no choice but to continue the social welfare programs that people (mostly children) depend on.

Quote:
I'm all for cutting military spending, I'm for cutting ALL spending because we really have nothing to spend. But cutting military so you can give to crack moms is simply stupid.
The compassion drips from your every word!

First off, I'm pretty sure that the 'crack mom' on welfare you speak of is much less common then you would like to believe. Here are a few reasons people need public assistance through no fault of their own:

-Mental Illness
-Physical Disability
-Catastrophic Disease
-Catastrophic Injury
-Death of a spouse on whom they were dependent
-Major illness of a child
-Death of a child's parent
-Breadwinning spouse abandons family
-Economy renders person unable to find work
-Family member's catastrophic illness or injury requires full time care
-Underinsurance
-No Insurance
-Residential Fire
-Infidelity
-Medically Difficult pregnancy

I know it fits in with the world view of some to believe that every social welfare recipient is a "crack mom." If you believe this, then it's much easier to justify reducing and eliminating social welfare programs. The reality is that the overwhelming majority are not crack addicted ner' do wells.

Quote:
Taxes are for running the govt, not feeding the poor or saving the mideast from itself. Life is tough & hard and no matter how much you steal from the working man to give to your social problems that will not change. The fact is that the poor in our country choose to be poor, whether they admit it or even know it is irrelevant. Bloomie is a jerk of the highest order who could not even perform the relatively simple function of AG.
Vote for him & show your inability to escape sheepdom.
Yes, I know, I vote for Linda is based on sound reasoning and intelligence while a vote for Blumenthal is "sheepdom." If it's "sheepdom" your concerned about, I'd suggest you re-read your comments and my own. See who's comments almost completely echo those found on Fox News, RushGlen and the screaming conservatives on this forum. In my estimation, taking a stand, defending social welfare programs, and proudly espousing unpopular (but completely sensical) liberal positions represents a lot more independent thinking and analysis then spouting the vile border-line hate speech of RushGlen and reposting it here.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:19 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,828,982 times
Only a fool would knowingly vote for a liar and not expect to be lied to.......

Old 10-18-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Only a fool would knowingly vote for a liar and not expect to be lied to.......
Interestingly, a couple of years ago I saw a Rabbi speak on this issue of lying in politics. He indicated that politics were so morally bankrupt that there were times where every statement that a politician made in a press conference in response to pointed questions was dishonest at some level. The Rabbi was making a bigger point about morality in politics, but, I'm not sure he was exaggerating.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Interestingly, a couple of years ago I saw a Rabbi speak on this issue of lying in politics. He indicated that politics were so morally bankrupt that there were times where every statement that a politician made in a press conference in response to pointed questions was dishonest at some level. The Rabbi was making a bigger point about morality in politics, but, I'm not sure he was exaggerating.
We have no one to blame but ourselves, we have allowed it...Blumenthal is just another example.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
We have no one to blame but ourselves, we have allowed it...Blumenthal is just another example.
I agree that we have no one to blame but ourselves. We also, as a society, force politicians in to the position of constantly choosing between honesty and their jobs. Like the great movie says "You can't handle the truth." Americans don't want to hear the truth... They want jobs now! They want high wages, low taxes, extensive government services and no debt.

You don't get elected by telling them they can't have it.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:

You don't get elected by telling them they can't have it.
And you shouldn't get elected by lying about military service either. Which, IMO is worse. It speaks volumes.....

Old 10-18-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
And you shouldn't get elected by lying about military service either. Which, IMO is worse. It speaks volumes.....
As long as you hold everyone to that standard consistently. Some excuse their own party, while using anything they can to attack the opposite party.

Evidence points to the previous president lying about his service record as well... Not that it makes it ok for Blumenthal. Again, he's not my choice as a candidate. However, it's not enough to make me vote for Linda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut