Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 04:01 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,386,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
It's pitiful that we have to decide who is the most honest liar.

Show me an election in recent history where that wasn't the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 04:48 PM

21,565 posts, read 30,996,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Interesting. Which polling company was it?
I'm not sure of the company, but the call was from a 406 area code (Montana).

Old 10-18-2010, 06:46 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,734,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm not sure of the company, but the call was from a 406 area code (Montana).
Mine was from 503 (Oregon).

Old 10-23-2010, 10:27 PM

257 posts, read 608,103 times
Quote:
So you find Linda down to Earth? Interesting. I find it particularly ridiculous to blame liberals for making Linda's wealth an issue, when she has used her wealth in an attempt to buy a seat in congress. $50 million dollars spent on an election? Really? That's not very congruent with the idea of fiscal conservatism. But of course, RushGlen and the other conservative ideologues (both the famous ones, and the armchair ideologues on this board) bash liberals for everything, including their own lot in life. Absurd.

I'm proud to vote. Blumenthal was not my first choice for a candidate. I would have been much happier voting for a true liberal. I like Rosa DeLauro, for example.

I am also proud to be a liberal. I want progressive ideas to be instituted, like single payer health care. I want cut military spending in half. I support social welfare programs that help give people a leg up and keep the poor from being desperate. I think we shouldn't be incarcerating drug offenders and that all prisoners should get humane treatment. I care about my fellow man and am willing to reasonably share my wealth and good fortune with those who are less fortunate. What's the reason to be conservative, besides "More for ME! Yay Me!" ?
Your probably another suburbanite that has never left their controlled environment to experience what really goes on beyond those mcmansions....and I don't mean going downtown or vacationing in a city...I mean actually experiencing the slums.

50 Million is alot to you? You voted for Obama right....so he must be a piece of garbage because he spent over 40 million on tv ads alone? Get real, thats politics.

Oh, you want to help people get on their feet? Thats very kind of you to pay for them to receive $800 a month for having another kid so they can purchase more coke (please don't disagree with me, my relative got caught up with her boyfriend in New Haven and I know people first hand that had kids just to collect from the state to buy more drugs,)

Ever worked in a pharmacy? Try it out, see who comes in to pick up their Vicodin...there the most honest and caring, hard working individuals you will meet! There so nice, they come back weeks early asking for some more.....maybe if you work in a pharmacy you will support giving them some more pills because they accidentally lost them.

Lets continue to be nice to all the criminals...it sure would be nice to have another home invaded....maybe it will be yours! I'm sure you would love to have your children raped and murdered. Extreme? Yep, I'm a no good conservative....its called being REAL. Liberals should try it some time.

Let's be like Rosa and stop private land owners from building! Lets keep out business from coming to town because it's going to look ugly....that will be the best way to create jobs!

LOL republicans support creating a stable economy and progressing, atleast were real and admit to liking money. You have a good job don't you? Why? It must be only because you love the job right? Why don't you donate the entire check to the state so they can pay all the low lifes? Live somewhere cheaper then where you do now.

Apologies go out to the 5% on state aid that are actually trying to get back on their feet!

Happy voting, and I'll be back for all you guys in 2012 ahaha

Old 10-23-2010, 11:14 PM

21,565 posts, read 30,996,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarthaas View Post
Your probably another suburbanite that has never left their controlled environment to experience what really goes on beyond those mcmansions....and I don't mean going downtown or vacationing in a city...I mean actually experiencing the slums.

50 Million is alot to you? You voted for Obama right....so he must be a piece of garbage because he spent over 40 million on tv ads alone? Get real, thats politics.

Oh, you want to help people get on their feet? Thats very kind of you to pay for them to receive $800 a month for having another kid so they can purchase more coke (please don't disagree with me, my relative got caught up with her boyfriend in New Haven and I know people first hand that had kids just to collect from the state to buy more drugs,)

Ever worked in a pharmacy? Try it out, see who comes in to pick up their Vicodin...there the most honest and caring, hard working individuals you will meet! There so nice, they come back weeks early asking for some more.....maybe if you work in a pharmacy you will support giving them some more pills because they accidentally lost them.

Lets continue to be nice to all the criminals...it sure would be nice to have another home invaded....maybe it will be yours! I'm sure you would love to have your children raped and murdered. Extreme? Yep, I'm a no good conservative....its called being REAL. Liberals should try it some time.

Let's be like Rosa and stop private land owners from building! Lets keep out business from coming to town because it's going to look ugly....that will be the best way to create jobs!

LOL republicans support creating a stable economy and progressing, atleast were real and admit to liking money. You have a good job don't you? Why? It must be only because you love the job right? Why don't you donate the entire check to the state so they can pay all the low lifes? Live somewhere cheaper then where you do now.

Apologies go out to the 5% on state aid that are actually trying to get back on their feet!

Happy voting, and I'll be back for all you guys in 2012 ahaha
Sorry, but I'm having a very hard time believing you're a '17 year old Republican'.

Who are you really?

Old 10-24-2010, 12:08 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,151,789 times
Thank you stewarthaas for that cutthroat and poignant satirical piece of comedy... well designed and executed on so many levels!

Old 10-24-2010, 06:39 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,783,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Sorry, but I'm having a very hard time believing you're a '17 year old Republican'.

Who are you really?

//www.city-data.com/forum/16299356-post91.html

Old 10-24-2010, 07:08 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,325,249 times
Quote:
LOL republicans support creating a stable economy and progressing, at least were real and admit to liking money.
Bill Clinton left office low unemployment and a multi - billion dollar surplus…

… George Bush left office with a trillion dollar deficit…the economy in shambles, banks and car companies falling by the day…and a trillion dollar war so Dick Cheney and Hallaburton could get richer...

And you have the gall to say that – lol

Old 10-24-2010, 07:31 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,088,555 times
Quote:
Your assumptions are about as good as your analysis. In addition to living in the Hartford Suburbs, I've lived in Fairfield, County, Austin, Texas, New York City (Manhattan and Queens), and Tel Aviv, Israel. I've never lived in a slum... I'm pretty sure, neither have you.

Quote:
Yes, $50 million is quite a lot for state-wide election in a small state like Connecticut. Are you arguing that its not?

Quote:
It sounds like you hang out with horrid people. Your personal experience (while soridid) doesn't make the trend. There are numerous reasons that people go on public assistance. While there is a small subculture of people who have babies to get additional welfare funds (very small) the majority are single mothers and the major beneficiaries are children.

And yes helping people get on their feet, providing job training, child care, health care, all benefit society.

Quote:
No I've never worked in a pharmacy... And I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. If doctors are prescribing pain medication inappropriately or pharmacies are dispensing it without a proper prescription, there are legal consequences for this action... I knew of several prescription drug addicts in Westport... Not sure what this has to do with anything.

Quote:
We should attempt to rehabilitate criminals where possible. We shouldn't incarcerate for minor drug offenses.

Since you're so hot on incarceration and don't want to (in your words) "be nice to criminals" maybe you can explain why we have more people incarcerated, and a higher percentage of prisoners than any country on Earth (including China) why we still have a crime problem? You say you're concerned about crime, but it seems you want to do what isn't working.

Also, this is the US. We should be respecting human rights. That should include treating prisoners humanely. This isn't China. This isn't Cuba. Sorry if being "nice" doesn't appeal to you. Human rights should.

Quote:
I have a good job for many reasons. The main among them was I grew up in a fortunate environment and my parents could pay for advanced training from top universities. I wasn't an outstanding student in high school, so I would not have qualified for scholarship money.

I also am smart and work hard. Sorry, but kids who grew up four and a half miles from me in Bridgeport didn't have those opportunities... Yes hard work can make up some of the ground, but for the majority growing up in poverty reduces the chance that you'll be an adult out of poverty for a myriad of reasons.

Last edited by mlassoff; 10-24-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 10-24-2010, 10:03 AM

257 posts, read 608,103 times
Quote:
Your assumptions are about as good as your analysis. In addition to living in the Hartford Suburbs, I've lived in Fairfield, County, Austin, Texas, New York City (Manhattan and Queens), and Tel Aviv, Israel. I've never lived in a slum... I'm pretty sure, neither have you.

Yes, $50 million is quite a lot for state-wide election in a small state like Connecticut. Are you arguing that its not?

It sounds like you hang out with horrid people. Your personal experience (while soridid) doesn't make the trend. There are numerous reasons that people go on public assistance. While there is a small subculture of people who have babies to get additional welfare funds (very small) the majority are single mothers and the major beneficiaries are children.

And yes helping people get on their feet, providing job training, child care, health care, all benefit society.

No I've never worked in a pharmacy... And I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. If doctors are prescribing pain medication inappropriately or pharmacies are dispensing it without a proper prescription, there are legal consequences for this action... I knew of several prescription drug addicts in Westport... Not sure what this has to do with anything.

We should attempt to rehabilitate criminals where possible. We shouldn't incarcerate for minor drug offenses.

Since you're so hot on incarceration and don't want to (in your words) "be nice to criminals" maybe you can explain why we have more people incarcerated, and a higher percentage of prisoners than any country on Earth (including China) why we still have a crime problem? You say you're concerned about crime, but it seems you want to do what isn't working.

Also, this is the US. We should be respecting human rights. That should include treating prisoners humanely. This isn't China. This isn't Cuba. Sorry if being "nice" doesn't appeal to you. Human rights should.

I have a good job for many reasons. The main among them was I grew up in a fortunate environment and my parents could pay for advanced training from top universities. I wasn't an outstanding student in high school, so I would not have qualified for scholarship money.

I also am smart and work hard. Sorry, but kids who grew up four and a half miles from me in Bridgeport didn't have those opportunities... Yes hard work can make up some of the ground, but for the majority growing up in poverty reduces the chance that you'll be an adult out of poverty for a myriad of reasons.
No I never lived in a slum. Like I said someone very close to me did and what I experienced going in and out of the slum, dealing with other low lifes opened up alot to me.

$50 Million is alot, so maybe she is "buying" the seat by making sure her name gets out there. It is her only chance at getting the seat over Dick which unfortunately has support from much of Connecticut, so instead of donating 50 million to what....the government or state? for welfare programs to help boost this country (right....), she spent it on trying to gain a position where she can actually make differences in the country. It won't really matter because if you havn't noticed, more then just CT will most likely be voting in a republican now. It's been a rough road since 2007 (democratic congress) and I look forward to that turning around and getting real change during whom ever becomes president in 2012.

No I don't hang out with horrid people, I just experienced them....many from Birdgeport actually. Heres a simple and easy story you can try and prove me wrong....in high school all these kids would brag about beating the system and talk about when they can start getting food stamps, they receive a $00.40 lunch as they walk away with the food on shoes that could pay for there meals at full price for nearly the hole year...but instead I pay for their food so they can waste money on unneeded items. Small percentage of the people that use state aid are no good? It's the other way around buddy. It might not mean there drug addicts or criminals, it just means there lazy. I know numerous people who have had the opportunity to get jobs, while they might not be the best jobs they still don't take them. They can collect much easier, but let's get Dick in congress so maybe Obama will try and extend the unemployment period even longer. Don't believe theres jobs? Go into a fast food joint, go on craigslist, go into any auto shop, there are places out there dieing for workers. But then you get liberals like your self who kiss everyone's a$$ and make no incentive for people to even work, so your decent values are abused and help pay for those people.

As for the pharmacy story, I have a relative who works in one, she is not a conservative nor a liberal, she even voted for Obama.....she has changed her opinions on many things since working in a pharmacy drastically. It's disgusting what comes there to pickup there much needed pills with money from her paycheck.

So I bet you support public housing right? Ask Atlanta how that went, maybe they can tell you why they torn down most of them due to the high crime levels in those areas. I support there idea on getting rid of the housing, they want to force these people to go beyond state housing and force them to work for housing and diversify the suburbs of Atlanta, of course alot will abuse then and go on the streets and continue to commit crimes, deal drugs, etc but if they were doing that in the first place what difference does it make, atleast some will be forced to go out and work and support them selves and get real housing outside of the slum. Go on youtube, you will find gang members endorsing what section of housing they lived in. Welfare is supposed to be a short term aid, not a lifestyle, but with liberals like your self, we continue to help people use it as a lifestyle. I support short term and strict welfare, of course our disabled need help, and laid of workers need a "hand" for a couple months, but not to the extent its been made to today.

Drug addicts in jail? Yeah, lets make it so when they get out they don't actually want to go back. That is why prison was invented correct? I know numerous drug addicts that go in and out of jail for stupid reasons and I feel if they went the first time for lets say, 5 years....I could almost guarantee that they would not want to go back! Of course some will still abuse that idea time and time again, but you get my drift. If you put your self in any position to be caught by the police, your either a piece of garbage, or lack the maturity needed to be in public. I guess this idea would mean spending more money on prisoners, but maybe getting rid of the sex offenders and murderers would save some money to jail the drug addicts! Hate on it, hate on it.

Kids in Bridgeport didn't have that option? See there you go again, saying how the kids who are proud to run around stealing cars and do drugs never had a chance. How about Platt Tech in Milford? They take in lots of Bridgeport kids if they want to take up a trade.

Ever heard of the military? Theres nothing on a contract that says "you cannot be from the ghetto"

Theres choices for kids who have grown out of the slum, its a matter of who wants to do something with their life. I know many good kids from the slum that wanted to make something of them selves and it really is a great thing, its just too bad not everyone has that kind of determination.

We have a high percentage of people in jail because we have a high percentage of criminals...? Not that hard to realized, so were now not supposed to put people in jail for their actions. What incentive do they have not to continue there lifestyle if they have no punishment for their actions? As for that idea not working, i don't think the system is harsh enough.

By the way, where do you get your facts from, USA is #8 for crime per capita. And most countries below that have alot of unreported and misreported data because they are not as developed as us.

Yeah I am a nice person to my fellow citizens who make a living without abusing the system. It's like the teacher in school who won't report that student who bullies, causes trouble, doesn't do his work, etc. Sure thats a really "nice" teacher.........no, "nice" would be reporting the student, calling home, suspending him, etc so he will change for the better and become a productive person for not only himself but his piers. I feel the same way about our country as a hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut