Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:32 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Same goes for Obama, so maybe that's more of an indictment on the people of Connecticut, then it is an endorsement of Blumenthal. Perhaps some self reflection is needed for the good people of the Nutmeg State?
Perhaps some self-reflection is needed on your part.

Why would you come in to a discussion, in a state where you do not live, and likely know nothing about, and malign our citizenry.

Connecticut residents are among the most educated in the country. Our state has the highest rates of high school and college graduation. We have the lowest rates of teen pregnancy. We have among the best health care in the nation, and among the lowest rates of obesity. The average income here is much higher than in the south. So please, spare us your indictment and go back to wherever you came from-- where likely there is plenty more to criticize.

And while Obama's popularity has dipped just below 50%, it has not reached the historically low levels of your "much loved" President Bush. Furthermore, less than two years ago, Obama was voted in to office by well over half the residents of the country. Political feeling is malleable and cyclical.

Your vitriol is exactly what's wrong with our political system and our political discourse. You hurl insults and espouse demagoguery that is worthy of the kind of self-reflection that you espouse.

So instead of coming here and maligning the fine people of our state (liberal, conservative, and like most of us somewhere in between) I would suggest you use that energy towards fixing your own state which I'm sure upon statistical analysis has much more wrong with it than Connecticut.

Or, as my 92 year old Grandmother would say, "You can go soak your head."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 08:45 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,305,424 times
Based on her posting history: South Carolina is likely her home state. Connecticut and South Carolina are drastically different, and she seems to have little understanding of how our state is and operates. Probably just saw something on Fox News and came running in here.

At least when I posted in the Delaware forum (re: Castle vs. O'Donnell) - I have been to Delaware and have some basic clue and understanding of the state. Am I an expert? Not even close. But someone coming from Florida shouldn't come into the Delaware forum calling Castle a RINO and thinking O'Donnell is a best represenative of Delaware. Reality would say Castle much better represents moderate-lean-Dem and heavily populated New Castle County than the more conservative and lightly populated areas south of the canal.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:05 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
Quote:
Same goes for Obama, so maybe that's more of an indictment on the people of Connecticut, then it is an endorsement of Blumenthal. Perhaps some self reflection is needed for the good people of the Nutmeg State?
I don't think you live here. Blumenthal is popular here because for most people they either have had direct contact with his office or know someone directly that has. He is thought of, for better or worse, the defender of the people. This is a man who's been in an important office for decades. Connecticut has it's share of internal political problems, trust us. We had a Governor that disgraced his office and served jail time (now has a cushy job), a former mayor of our Capital city that is behind bars (although his replacement seems much better, but I don't live there), and a couple of State Senators that went down in flames (read: Ernie Newton). Beyond these events though, CT has generally well working political system.

Blumenthal simply is clean as a whistle: the worst that McMahon had on him was "in" instead of "during" and use of the common "we" when talking about service during the Vietnam War. For a guy that's been in the game that long and there's nothing? Either he's a mastermind, or he's just a guy doing his job.

Again, this is to say: you better believe if Simmons won the primary Blumenthal would likely be on the ropes, and that's where my vote would've gone.

~Cheers

Old 10-10-2010, 09:12 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,305,424 times
The only reason McMahon was even picked was because she could self-finance and carry herself.

Schiff was the legitimate Tea Party candidate, McMahon is Tea Party only if you consider the fact the operations are being funded by corporate interests and billionaires. Simmons is much more moderate and in touch with the people of the state. Simmons easily could have given Blumenthal a run, while Schiff would have scared off independents and McMahon is a weasel.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:53 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
They guy is a lying moron who's answer to everything is government, government, government. He gets owned in every debate and thinks that suing businesses creates jobs. Are you really gonna elect him simply because he has a (D) after his name? Hey Connecticut, it's your state and your free to do what you want, but remember you get what you ask for. Blumenthal, really? lol Good luck with that.
I dislike both candidates. With that, it is actually pretty comical, and typical, that a social conservative from Bumble-you-know-what, SC would come to the Connecticut forum preaching to us about the creation of businesses and jobs. South Carolina has among the highest unemployment rate in the nation at over 11%. Connecticut is still below the national average. Don't try to educate us with your oh-so-enlightened attitude - we're plenty educated up here and its been going well for us thus far. To add to what mlassoff said, Connecticut consistently ranks in the top 10 (depending on the year, top 5) for most people with a Bachelor's Degree or higher. South Carolina consistently ranks in the bottom 15. How's that working out for you?

You can keep your Fox News. We'll stick with the facts.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:53 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
I can't think why anyone of sound mind COULDN'T vote for Blumenthal. This is a man who's devoted almost all of his political career toward protecting the people of his state. You want someone who's looking out for you? Well, thisis it. Yes, he has an awkward public demeanor and he looks like a nerd. But if you really think Linda would go to bat for people to the extent that he has, please proceed directly to the Brooklyn Bridge purchase counter.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:08 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Blumenthal is easily the lesser of the two evils.
I don't know. The combination of being not very bright but having a massive ego is scary. "Tell us again how your lawsuits create jobs."

But my prediction is that CT voters will still put him in the office. I guess we can try to hope that he's not as corrupt as Dodd.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:29 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
The combination of being not very bright but having a massive ego is scary.
I think Linda has more of an ego, while Dick is more manipulative. Either way, the good people of Connecticut are screwed.

Quote:
I guess we can try to hope that he's not as corrupt as Dodd.
That's going to be hard to beat - lol.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:31 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
I don't know. The combination of being not very bright but having a massive ego is scary.

You've just described Linda to a tee.

Unless of course, you actually believe that she is the brains behind WWE. LMAO.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:54 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
LINDA is the answer.

I don't understand how anyone could elect a 20-year LYING career politician into office at this point in time. He lied about serving in Vietnam. He couldn't even answer the simple quesiton of how to create a job. And, his method of helping "people before profits" is to SUE businesses left and right, in an already business unfriendly state. And I don't want to hear crap about Linda not having enough experience. Experience level doesn't necessarily mean that the candidate will do a poor job as senator. Look at Obama, for example, who had very little political experience, yet all these democrats still voted for the moron. Now, they changed their tune and these same democrats are accusing Linda of not having enough experience for the job. Give me a break.

Linda does not accept donations greater than $100 to her campaign. She is spending her OWN money to finance the campaign. This is highly admirable, compared to Blumenthal who traveled to Vancouver to acquire PAC money. Pathetic. And I don't want to hear about Linda buying the election, because Obama raised the highest amount of money ever to win his election. And, Blumenthal's family owns the FREEKIN EMPIRE STATE BUILDING!

I don't know about you, but I don't want another career politician. We need more people like Scott Brown and Linda McMahon in Washington. Now, watch and learn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Fgq...layer_embedded#!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut