Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:12 AM

257 posts, read 610,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Bill Clinton left office low unemployment and a multi - billion dollar surplus…

… George Bush left office with a trillion dollar deficit…the economy in shambles, banks and car companies falling by the day…and a trillion dollar war so Dick Cheney and Hallaburton could get richer...

And you have the gall to say that – lol
You forgot to mention the democratic congress since 2006, which continues on a failing streak with Obama.

Can't wait for this Nov. and then Nov. of 2012 when we will get real change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 01:42 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,015,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Bill Clinton left office low unemployment and a multi - billion dollar surplus…

… George Bush left office with a trillion dollar deficit…the economy in shambles, banks and car companies falling by the day…and a trillion dollar war so Dick Cheney and Hallaburton could get richer...

And you have the gall to say that – lol
Riiight, of course. How could we have missed that.

News flash, Bush was handed the worst attack on American soil since Pearl Harbor. It had an effect, and would have on any president.

Unemployment averaged 5.3% during the Bush Admin, it's over 9% for Obama. AND the reality is Bush had a 46 month period of continued and strong job growth...the second longest in the HISTORY of the United States. Wow, they didn't mention that on NPR.

Watch this video if you can handle it, it's 14 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04y35I-r3Xw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarthaas View Post
No Theres choices for kids who have grown out of the slum, its a matter of who wants to do something with their life. I know many good kids from the slum that wanted to make something of them selves and it really is a great thing, its just too bad not everyone has that kind of determination.
You're talking to one right here. I made it in SPITE of the government. I can only credit faith in God and a renewed mind. It gave me a totally different outlook on life.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:45 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Unemployment averaged 5.3% during the Bush Admin, it's over 9% for Obama.
Under what Administration did the economy crash?

Old 10-24-2010, 01:48 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,144,589 times
Quote:
No I never lived in a slum. Like I said someone very close to me did and what I experienced going in and out of the slum, dealing with other low lifes opened up alot to me.
Out of curiosity, what did you experience going in and out of a building that has changed your outlook so? Specifics please...

Quote:
$50 Million is alot, so maybe she is "buying" the seat by making sure her name gets out there. It is her only chance at getting the seat over Dick which unfortunately has support from much of Connecticut
Did you ever stop and think of why Blumenthal has the support of most of Connecticut? The $50 million in expenditures is her only chance at the seat because she doesn't have superior plans and ideas. She only has money and the temerity to spend $50 million.

Quote:
, so instead of donating 50 million to what....the government or state? for welfare programs to help boost this country (right....), she spent it on trying to gain a position where she can actually make differences in the country. It won't really matter because if you havn't noticed, more then just CT will most likely be voting in a republican now.
I don't know if you've been checking the polls, but, they indicate just the opposite. Blumenthal and Malloy are quite a bit ahead, and last I check,ed both Democrats. We won't know until election day, however.

Quote:
No I don't hang out with horrid people, I just experienced them....many from Birdgeport actually. Heres a simple and easy story you can try and prove me wrong....in high school all these kids would brag about beating the system and talk about when they can start getting food stamps, they receive a $00.40 lunch as they walk away with the food on shoes that could pay for there meals at full price for nearly the hole year...but instead I pay for their food so they can waste money on unneeded items.
Where do you go to high school? The % of kids on Federally Subsidized lunches is public information. It would be very easy to verify whether "all these kids" are getting free lunches at all.

As far as you subsidizing their lunch... Why should I subsidize your education? I don't have kids in school. I don't have kids at all. Perhaps your parents should pay 100% for your schooling.

Quote:
Small percentage of the people that use state aid are no good? It's the other way around buddy. It might not mean there drug addicts or criminals, it just means there lazy. I know numerous people who have had the opportunity to get jobs, while they might not be the best jobs they still don't take them. They can collect much easier, but let's get Dick in congress so maybe Obama will try and extend the unemployment period even longer.
Where are you getting your numbers from? Why does a 17 year old know all of these drug addicts and criminals. If your going to use personal anecdote instead of statistical analysis, you'd better have some validity instead of simply adopting your father's attitude, or what you see on Fox news that seems to appeal to you and spouting it here... So let's see the proof.

As far as poverty meaning they're (note correct use of the contraction) lazy... Did you know you can work two ful time jobs and still be poor in the USA if you have a family? Did you know that most people in the US are a serious illness away from bankruptcy. Want to know how much my bout with colon cancer has cost me so far... And I have insurance... More money than the average family has saved.

Quote:
Don't believe theres jobs? Go into a fast food joint, go on craigslist, go into any auto shop, there are places out there dieing for workers. But then you get liberals like your self who kiss everyone's a$$ and make no incentive for people to even work, so your decent values are abused and help pay for those people.
I'd like to see you raise a kid on what someone makes at Burger King. Try to pay rent, medical costs, clothing, etc. You're awfully caviler about what it takes to make a living, when you live under your parents roof with them paying your expenses. Drop out of high school now and go rent an apartment. Tell me how easy it is then.

As for the pharmacy story, I have a relative who works in one, she is not a conservative nor a liberal, she even voted for Obama.....she has changed her opinions on many things since working in a pharmacy drastically. It's disgusting what comes there to pickup there much needed pills with money from her paycheck.

Quote:
So I bet you support public housing right?
You bet. This is the USA... If we are truly better than other countries (instead of just paying lip service to being better) than we take care of our poor, disabled and ill. Part of that is housing them. I have an elderly aunt who lives in public housing in NYC. It's not bad at all. You really should broaden your horizons.

Quote:
Ask Atlanta how that went, maybe they can tell you why they torn down most of them due to the high crime levels in those areas.
I don't know anything about Atlanta, and there is no reason to go that far for an example of awful public housing. Do some research on Father Panick Village, formerly in Bridgeport. It was also torn down.

I would ask then, without public housing, what would you do instead? Simply let people live on the street like animals? It's sad that someone your age has so little compassion.

Quote:
Kids in Bridgeport didn't have that option? See there you go again, saying how the kids who are proud to run around stealing cars and do drugs never had a chance. How about Platt Tech in Milford? They take in lots of Bridgeport kids if they want to take up a trade.

Ever heard of the military? Theres nothing on a contract that says "you cannot be from the ghetto"
Kids in Bridgeport have fewer options than I did growing up in Trumbull and Westport. Yes. If you think Platt Tech and the Military offer the same opportunity structure to an individual that my education at the largest research university in the world and my masters from an Ivy League University offer, you're insane. Simply by having the money for me to go to college opens up huge opportunities for me as an average high school student.

The military? That's right... If you're poor, one of your options for "getting out" should be being a military grunt, getting shot at, injured and possibly killed in unjust wars? If you think it's so lovely in the military, I'd love to pair you up with my best friend. He's a psychologist for the VA treating soldiers who just came back from Iraq/Afganistan for PTSD. Lovely option the military is. I respect those who server, but that should not be the primary path out of poverty.

I really am curious what you experienced that made you so jaded and discompassionate at 17.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Under what Administration did the economy crash?
After what administration won the election did the economy crash.

Watch that video. Seriously, all bias aside, you might find that Bush put a lot of the stop gap things in place that are now being credited to Obama. Frankly I don't agree with a lot of them, but it's just being honest and saying is "is".

Old 10-24-2010, 01:56 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Quote:
So wait, you think the economy started to go downhill only AFTER Nov. 2008?

Old 10-24-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Watch that video. Seriously, all bias aside, you might find that Bush put a lot of the stop gap things in place that are now being credited to Obama. Frankly I don't agree with a lot of them, but it's just being honest and saying is "is".
C'Mon JViello. You have to be a total partisan hack or intellectually dishonest to say that the recession started under Obama. It was well under way and the seeds were planted well before Obama took office.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I would ask then, without public housing, what would you do instead? Simply let people live on the street like animals? It's sad that someone your age has so little compassion.

The military? That's right... If you're poor, one of your options for "getting out" should be being a military grunt, getting shot at, injured and possibly killed in unjust wars? If you think it's so lovely in the military, I'd love to pair you up with my best friend. He's a psychologist for the VA treating soldiers who just came back from Iraq/Afganistan for PTSD. Lovely option the military is. I respect those who server, but that should not be the primary path out of poverty.
Hunger is a veeeery powerful motivator. One that used to be understrood well. Have you ever read the words of Ben Franklin?
"I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it"
As for the military, I think you are being a bit coy. It's pretty well known that many a young man has gained a very skilled trade, had help for college and come home and made a good life for themselves. Hell, they might even find a little disciplin they never had growing up as a side benefit.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
So wait, you think the economy started to go downhill only AFTER Nov. 2008?
Nahh, I was just being an ass...but what I do think is it was a shared responsibility since the dems were in power since 2006. Now that they are in power of both, we are going to hell in a handbasket that's loaded with TNT.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Hunger is a veeeery powerful motivator. One that used to be understrood well. Have you ever read the words of Ben Franklin?
"I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it"
As for the military, I think you are being a bit coy. It's pretty well known that many a young man has gained a very skilled trade, had help for college and come home and made a good life for themselves. Hell, they might even find a little disciplin they never had growing up as a side benefit.
National Unemployment Rate: 9.6%
Unemployment Rate for Iraq/Afgan Vets Post Discarge: 21.6%

Excellent job training that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut