Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:00 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,999,341 times

Advertisements

Just thought I would share

Hopefully I will like it better than Vernon. I made the decision so that I can be closer to work, in Berlin. I lived in the Hartford metro area almost my entire life, so this should be a signifcant change. I never lived in Middlesex county before, but it definitely seems nice. And I like how it's between Hartford and New Haven.

One potential problem I noticed, however, is that there is no nearby shopping. Looks like I'll have to go to Westfield Shopping mall in Meriden (ghetto) or up to the Berlin Turnpike. Is there anything in Wallingford, I suspect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:22 AM

35,080 posts, read 57,196,566 times
What section of Middletown are you moving to? Middletown (particularly Westfield) is a great place because it is so convenient to much of the state. If the Meriden mall is not to your liking, West Farms is a quick trip up Route 9. Even Manchester is not a bad ride. And as I am sure you know, the Berlin Turnpike has a lot of the major big box stores. Plus downtown Middletown has some interesting stores and a number of great restaurants. I am sure you will like it. I did when I was young and single. Jay

Old 10-13-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What section of Middletown are you moving to? Middletown (particularly Westfield) is a great place because it is so convenient to much of the state. If the Meriden mall is not to your liking, West Farms is a quick trip up Route 9. Even Manchester is not a bad ride. And as I am sure you know, the Berlin Turnpike has a lot of the major big box stores. Plus downtown Middletown has some interesting stores and a number of great restaurants. I am sure you will like it. I did when I was young and single. Jay
Oh, I didn't know you lived in Middletown. For some reason I thought you went straight from Fairfield to Glastonbury. Oops.

Anyway, I will be living right off Route 66, equidistant between I-91 and Route 9. Right near the Middlefield border.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:19 AM

35,080 posts, read 57,196,566 times
Yes, I spent part of my single years there before getting married and moving to Glastonbury. Being that far south will make a trip to West Farms or Manchester tougher but still doable. You do have a lot of everyday shopping on Washington right nearby. Wallingford has a lot of shopping and restaurants along North Colony Road (Route 5). That would be convenient to your new place as would downtown. Good luck with your move. Jay

Old 10-13-2010, 09:47 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,702,505 times
"is that there is no nearby shopping. Looks like I'll have to go to Westfield Shopping mall in Meriden (ghetto) or up to the Berlin Turnpike."

as far as malls yes, Meriden is the closest but as far as general shopping/eating out, you missed the Silas Deane which is just a couple of exits up from where i am (northern Mtown on Cromwell border - rt 372). and there's the added benefit of the SD and the Tpke being connected by a couple of connecting roads (287, 160 etc) in case you want to make a day of it.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:33 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,770,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Hopefully I will like it better than Vernon. I made the decision so that I can be closer to work, in Berlin. I lived in the Hartford metro area almost my entire life, so this should be a signifcant change. I never lived in Middlesex county before, but it definitely seems nice. And I like how it's between Hartford and New Haven.
Statistically speaking, you'll still be in the Hartford Metro as it comprises all of Hartford, Tolland, and Middlesex Counties (that's how the population of 1.3 million is determined).

Old 10-13-2010, 01:36 PM

2,498 posts, read 4,737,797 times
Personally I think you will like Middletown alot. Main Street is a great downtown with plenty to do - restaurants, bars, stores, banks/ATMs, etc. You might not even need to go to the mall one you see what's on and around Main. If you do, WestFarms is a straight shot up Route 9, and I agree w/Jay that it really isn't that far. Just avoid the area north of downtown - not the ghetto but definitely an undesireable area.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:10 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,858,872 times
If grocery shopping there is a new Price Chopper on RT 66 in the Home Depot plaza. (across from Staples) for mall shopping Meriden square is closer than West Farms.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:16 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,097,454 times
when we moved here from NY we rented an apt for a couple of months before buying a house in Glastonbury. We lived on Westlake in one of the apartment complexes and couldn't wait to get out, but Middletown has some great areas, and excellent restaurants down off main street. for Italian the best is the Cantina Cafe...superb.

Down around Main St. Extension there's some great fairly new neighborhoods, you can see them I think on the right side of Rt. 9 of you're heading south.

I'm not too fond of that mall in Meriden though, I would take the ride to West Farms or Buckland Hills.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
when we moved here from NY we rented an apt for a couple of months before buying a house in Glastonbury. We lived on Westlake in one of the apartment complexes and couldn't wait to get out, but Middletown has some great areas, and excellent restaurants down off main street. for Italian the best is the Cantina Cafe...superb.

Down around Main St. Extension there's some great fairly new neighborhoods, you can see them I think on the right side of Rt. 9 of you're heading south.

I'm not too fond of that mall in Meriden though, I would take the ride to West Farms or Buckland Hills.
That whole West Lake area is a turn off to me. There are like 20 complexes in a 2-square mile area. It reminds me of communist era housing in the USSR. Cookie cutouts beyond belief. Luckily my place will be away from all that. It is south of Route 66.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut