Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:06 PM

158 posts, read 215,666 times

Advertisements

Hi,
In another thread I asked about areas around New Canaan, Weston, Wilton, Ridgefeild etc. These areas look lovely but perhaps you need your car to get everywhere? Is this true?

What are the areas like on the coast? What are the safest nicest areas to live? Are they more, not sure of the right word, maybe, urban?
Thinking Nth of Stamford but no more than 45min commute away (by car) from Stamford.

Can anyone recommend a few areas I can look at that have good elementary schools & nice living?
I like to walk places like cafes, schools, restaurants & need to walk the dog somewhere decent too.

What's Westport like?
ETA - Budget don't want to spend more than $4k/Month for a 4bed house.

THANKS!

Last edited by sydneybeach; 10-14-2010 at 11:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 05:40 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Westport, New Caanan, Ridgefield, Weston, Wilton, Ridgefield- you are looking at some of the most expensive areas to live in the entire country. It's all safe- you won't go wrong in any of these towns. The schools in each are superb. But yes, you will need a car. These towns, particularly Weston, are about as suburban as it gets. Ridgefield, New Canaan & Westport have nice little shopping areas. But you would still need a car, there is no way to get along in CT without a car. You might get lucky enough to find a rental near a grade school, but the school may not be any where near a walkable shopping area. As of middle and senior high schools, the kids are going by school bus or you will drive them.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:09 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Fairfield would be another option. It has a great downtown and lots of great family activities. The schools are excellent plus it is more affordable than most other upscale towns nearby. Jay

Old 10-16-2010, 06:30 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Fairfield's a great town, but it has also become pretty expensive. I have no idea about rents; I'm much more familiar with home purchase prices.

It's hard to live in Fairfield without a car. I have a friend who's a homemaker and stays home all day without a car. She gets by, but it's limiting, especially with kids. Her kids can't really be involved in any activities that aren't directly connected to the school since she can't get them there. But if you pick the right neighborhood, you can get by without a car at your disposal at all times.

I'd also have to say that places like Ridgefield, New Canaan, Weston, etc. aren't on the water, so there's no coastal living there.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:12 AM

lol PP I can see quite clearly those areas aren't on the water!

We'll definitely have cars I just don't want to have to be 100% reliant on it. Ie able to walk to a cafe or the park etc.

Thanks, I'll look into Fairfield as well.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:56 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneybeach View Post
Thanks, I'll look into Fairfield as well.
If your husband is commuting by car during peak times, the commute is likely to be over 45 minutes.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:47 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times
honestly I still say Ridgefield, particularly if you can find a home close to town, which you should at that budget. It's really very walkable. You can walk to the park, library, market, shops, cafe, etc. Have you been to any of these towns that we've mentioned?

Old 10-17-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
honestly I still say Ridgefield, particularly if you can find a home close to town, which you should at that budget. It's really very walkable. You can walk to the park, library, market, shops, cafe, etc. Have you been to any of these towns that we've mentioned?
No I haven't, I'm having to research this from the other side of the world unfortunately. I am liking the look of Ridgefield.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:36 AM

Ridgefield is very nice. It has excellent schools and a nice downtown area. It is also convenient to great shopping in Danbury. Jay

Old 10-20-2010, 09:37 AM

I forgot to say that Ridgefield is NOT on the coast though. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut