Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 12:21 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,076 times

Advertisements

New Haven and Bridgeport and a couple of smaller towns (Oxford and I think Windsor Locks) have only reported some precincts. This is why Malloy is perceived to have an edge in the not-yet-reported total count.

However, Foley's count of the already-reported Fairfield County precincts does _not_ agree with the Malloy count. One side or the other made an error in counting. Depending on the "official" counts, this should make the winner a little more clear.

I'm really stunned that Bysiewicz declared that there would be no recount. It is important to await the official tallies before making such declarations. Foley has reasonable cause to question some of the irregularities in this election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 12:44 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
How the hell can they declare Malloy the winner, if 95% of precincts are reporting, and Foley is leading by about 7,000 votes? Seriously. I'm waiting for the official results.
Because they know which districts are still outstanding. I've heard that Bridgeport has already certified its numbers. It's not much different from when Himes was declared the winner (22,000 vs 32,000 votes) with only 19 percent reporting.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:43 PM

34,935 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
How the hell can they declare Malloy the winner, if 95% of precincts are reporting, and Foley is leading by about 7,000 votes? Seriously. I'm waiting for the official results.
Because those 5% are in heavy Democrat towns like Bridgeport and New Haven. The numbers are close and it is unlikely that Foley would get the majority of the votes in these areas. Jay

Old 11-03-2010, 02:45 PM

34,935 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
I'm really stunned that Bysiewicz declared that there would be no recount. It is important to await the official tallies before making such declarations. Foley has reasonable cause to question some of the irregularities in this election.
A recount is automatically required if the vote difference is less than a certain percent. She is just saying that the numbers are such that an automatic recount is not required. Either side can request a recount if they feel the numbers are such that it could still go wither way. Jay

Old 11-03-2010, 02:52 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Because those 5% are in heavy Democrat towns like Bridgeport and New Haven. The numbers are close and it is unlikely that Foley would get the majority of the votes in these areas. Jay
But, according to CNN, we are still awaiting results from New Haven and Windsor Locks, as well as Bridgeport. In Windsor Locks, Foley is winning. And it's unclear whether the outstanding votes in New Haven and Bridgeport will be enough to offset Foley's lead, which is currently 8,424 ahead of Malloy. Not to mention, 60% of the Bridgeport votes are already tallied, as well as 26% of the New Haven votes.

State Results - Election Center 2010 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

Old 11-03-2010, 04:04 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't think people here care about national trends (e.g. the Tea Party movement). And I appreciate that about Connecticut. It shows that we vote with our heads, and not our hearts, be it R or D.

I voted Republican but I'm not going to call people who voted democrat 'backwards' or 'blind'.
If only more people of both parties/ideologies felt that way....I mean for someone like McConnell, who would be Majority Leader if the Senate had "flipped" to openly say, "our goal is to have a 1 term President" is disgusting and only going to increase the hate and polarization of this country and make our problems worse. I would say the same thing if perhaps Ted Kennedy said that of G.W. Bush in say 2002 (but he, nor any Dem in Congress I know of didn't, and to be fair, in 1994 I don't think Gingrich went as far as to say this about Clinton). There's your private opinion and then there's respect! I'm sure I can find pretty nasty stuff said by politicians of both parties in these troubled times, but that one took the cake, it tells me that Congress won't even "try" to fix our problems until after the 2012 elections.

Even though Boehner "borderline" talks this way lately (just politics I guess), I have seen times where at least he shows "respect". He even seemed willing to compromise on "taxing the rich" briefly until McConnell or someone must have privately chastised him (not trying to debate this one way or another, just noting I was surprised he would even consider that given his politics/ideology etc.). And (I think it was an obscure NY Times article but I can't find it now), he supposedly even once chastised a fellow Republican Congressman in private for making a personal comment on Obama saying something like, "it's not and shouldn't be personal, we just disagree on policy".

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 11-03-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 04:04 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Quote:
But, according to CNN, we are still awaiting results from New Haven and Windsor Locks, as well as Bridgeport. In Windsor Locks, Foley is winning. And it's unclear whether the outstanding votes in New Haven and Bridgeport will be enough to offset Foley's lead, which is currently 8,424 ahead of Malloy. Not to mention, 60% of the Bridgeport votes are already tallied, as well as 26% of the New Haven votes.

State Results - Election Center 2010 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com
The number of registered voters in Windsor Locks pales in comparison to those in New Haven or Bridgeport. Approximately 25,000 individuals voted in Bridgeport with 15,000 of those votes (60 percent) already counted which leaves 10,000. The total number of registered voters in Windsor Locks is approximately 8,000. If half of them voted, that's still only 4,000.

Last edited by Rich Lee; 11-03-2010 at 04:14 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 04:33 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times
Well it sucks to be in CT right now. You have a 100% democratic majority.

Your taxes are going up, there will be more spending. Your state pension fund is already unfunded by ~in the billions.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:36 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Your taxes are going up
I am tired of hearing this.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:41 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I am tired of hearing this.
I am tired of ever increasing gov't spending
I am tired of more taxes
I am tired of having my freedoms whittled away

Can they create a gov't program to deal with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut