Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 05:50 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times

Advertisements

I have been all over CT and have not seen much of the granola factor there, at least not like a Boulder, CO or places in CA or VT. I think you get the predominant old school New England feel there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 12:41 PM

512 posts, read 1,755,093 times
I would say plenty of conservative granola types that are libertarian (not liberal) have been around for a long time.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:41 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,148 times
Edited - cut

Old 07-19-2007, 04:40 PM

286 posts, read 1,118,682 times
Is Hyde Park that neighborhood a ways south of downtown around Congress? I was only there once but felt right at home.

I grew up CT with long-haired vegetarian parents (and am still veggie), but I can't think of anyplace in the state where that's a real town- or city-wide thing, in the same way as Northampton MA, or Ithaca NY. Middletown has some excellent natural foods places, and I think of some of the rural eastern CT towns as being very live-and-let-live.

I guess, if you're looking for a really granola type of neighborhood it might be best to look elsewhere. But if you're just looking for a place that sells tofu and doesn't hassle you about it, I think people are pretty accepting statewide, and there are plenty of food/lifestyle options. I suppose in your place I'd trend a bit west and/or north from Bristol if I wanted to be nearby--there's some beautiful areas for bike riding, etc that way.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:48 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchemgrrl View Post
Is Hyde Park that neighborhood a ways south of downtown around Congress? I was only there once but felt right at home.

I grew up CT with long-haired vegetarian parents (and am still veggie), but I can't think of anyplace in the state where that's a real town- or city-wide thing, in the same way as Northampton MA, or Ithaca NY. Middletown has some excellent natural foods places, and I think of some of the rural eastern CT towns as being very live-and-let-live.

I guess, if you're looking for a really granola type of neighborhood it might be best to look elsewhere. But if you're just looking for a place that sells tofu and doesn't hassle you about it, I think people are pretty accepting statewide, and there are plenty of food/lifestyle options. I suppose in your place I'd trend a bit west and/or north from Bristol if I wanted to be nearby--there's some beautiful areas for bike riding, etc that way.
Just speculating here - I think that wave of granola areas was more a 60's to 70's thing which has changed over the years right?

Old 07-19-2007, 05:04 PM

286 posts, read 1,118,682 times
"that wave of granola areas was more a 60's to 70's thing which has changed over the years right?"

If you're talking about Northampton and Ithaca, no way--I've lived in or visited both within the last few years, they're both super-liberal, vibrant places. It might be that the definition of "granola" has changed since the 60's (I'm an 80's kid, I wouldn't know).

Here's what I associate with the term: places with a high density of vegetarian (or at least veggie-friendly) restaurants, very accepting of gay/poly/'alternative lifestyle' folks, where the people at thrift stores are friendly, co-op grocery stores, where it's cool to have an overflowing garden or art-in-progress in your front yard, where not having a car isn't social suicide, and lots of used book stores. A place has all that and a place to work within my field, and I am *home*.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:48 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchemgrrl View Post

Hyde Park is the neighborhood north of the University of Texas. You were in South Austin (aka 78704), which is arguably even more granola than Hyde Park!

Old 07-21-2007, 10:06 PM

20 posts, read 58,440 times
Default OMG!!! Austin!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocojess View Post
Hello-
Can anyone suggest somewhere in CT that may be described as somewhat granola or earthy? (If you are familiar, something like Hyde Park in Austin, TX) The requirement is that it is somewhere commutable to Bristol. Thanks for the help.
I live in Ct and am seriously considering a move to Austin!!! I visited there in April and fell in love. It is the safest, coolest, prettiest, non-city feeling city I have ever been to!!! Did you live there at some point??? Anyway, the other post is correct....CT is for yuppies. That's why i want to go to Austin. Alot of wanna be hippies here in CT!!! I'm not too familiar w/ the Bristol area either. I'll see what i can find out for you and would appreciate any info you have about Austin.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:10 PM

20 posts, read 58,440 times
Default Would love some help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I am actually from Connecticut and currently live 8 blocks from the edge of Hyde Park in Austin. I can honestly think of no place in Connecticut that can be considered granola. The closest places I can think of are Northampton, Mass and New Paltz, NY but those are too far for you.

Connecticut is where hippies turn into yuppies.
As i just told coccojess, I live in Fairfield County and want to move to Austin. I visited in April and loved it. Any suggestions. I'm a single 27 yr old who will be going back to school for her masters. CT is nice if you have a husband and three kids, but otherwise it's pretty boring. Ans snotty!!! Is Hyde Park a good place to look for real estate? Any helpful hints from a native? And, may i ask why you left that great city?!

Old 07-22-2007, 01:45 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
Well, I am actually still here in Austin (originally from CT) and I'd be glad to help you out with whatever questions you may have. Austin is a great city but it's location is not that good (being in Texas and all). It's not like Connecticut where you can drive to world class cities or the ocean in a day. We have Dallas, Houston, and the Gulf of Mexico (all lame). I also REALLY miss the four seasons and the greenness and lushness of the Northeast.

Although I may move back up someday, Austin is a great place to spend your 20s or 30s. Unlike Connecticut there are plenty of younger/single/mobile people and it is very affordable. It's also not stuffy or stodgy AT ALL, and there is not much pretense. The Austin lifestyle is hanging out with friends late on a balmy summer night, on the outdoor deck of a Tex-Mex restaurant downing margaritas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut