Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:12 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmoving View Post
As i just told coccojess, I live in Fairfield County and want to move to Austin. I visited in April and loved it. Any suggestions. I'm a single 27 yr old who will be going back to school for her masters. CT is nice if you have a husband and three kids, but otherwise it's pretty boring. Ans snotty!!! Is Hyde Park a good place to look for real estate? Any helpful hints from a native? And, may i ask why you left that great city?!
Respectfully:

ctmoving - Why do you say that CT people are snotty? Maybe a little more in Fairfield county but on the whole I think like anywhere there's some snottiness amongst some (not generally all like how you stated this of CT) of the population these days. I've found more down to earth people in CT than here in Northern NJ where I reside.

To you why is CT boring - doesn't CT have to offer what most areas in the country do minus the different weather?

Also what you said about CT and yuppies - in my experience I don't find this to be true with a good part of the state, come here to Northern NJ and see yuppies all over the place which will give you a totally different perspective.

Good Luck with your move to Austin, TX.

Last edited by njguy; 07-22-2007 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 11:01 AM

572 posts, read 2,088,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Respectfully:

ctmoving - Why do you say that CT people are snotty? Maybe a little more in Fairfield county but on the whole I think like anywhere there's some snottiness amongst some (not generally all like how you stated this of CT) of the population these days. I've found more down to earth people in CT than here in Northern NJ where I reside.

To you why is CT boring - doesn't CT have to offer what most areas in the country do minus the different weather?

Also what you said about CT and yuppies - in my experience I don't find this to be true with a good part of the state, come here to Northern NJ and see yuppies all over the place which will give you a totally different perspective.

Good Luck with your move to Austin, TX.
I'd have to agree that people in CT are more modest than in NJ. NJ has a different culture than CT, even though it's so close by. I think people there are a little more materialistic even if they lack the means, while many of those in CT who can afford it, are frugal. With that, I really don't think NNJ has the stereotype for being 'yuppie' - just expensive. CT has the WASPy, country club, horse farm stereotype which, in many communities, is very accurate.

I think people mistake the reservedness of CT residents for being rude or snotty. I can see why, not that I agree with it.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:08 AM

20 posts, read 58,387 times
njguy and jeremey- ct is not a horrible place!! it's just snottier than austin and alot of other places in the u.s. i have lived here my entire life so, i know what i'm talking about. it has alot to offer, just not the ideal place for a single middle class girl. i think it's great for families. most people in the tri-state area base everything around the almighty dollar. i just want a change from that. i am very happy that i was raised in ct and wouldn't mind living here forever if i was a married mother of three with a six figure salary!! thanks for your thoughts.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:11 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
I'd have to agree that people in CT are more modest than in NJ. NJ has a different culture than CT, even though it's so close by. I think people there are a little more materialistic even if they lack the means, while many of those in CT who can afford it, are frugal. With that, I really don't think NNJ has the stereotype for being 'yuppie' - just expensive. CT has the WASPy, country club, horse farm stereotype which, in many communities, is very accurate.

I think people mistake the reservedness of CT residents for being rude or snotty. I can see why, not that I agree with it.
I'll take the reservedness in CT over the "I'm better than or too good for you" attitude many have here in Northern NJ any day.

That Waspy and so on I would say would more exist in the more wealthy communities in my opinion.

Hoboken, NJ is mostly "yuppyville" - they even speak that language "yup-yup-yup" - only kidding

Old 07-22-2007, 11:34 AM

572 posts, read 2,088,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
I'll take the reservedness in CT over the "I'm better than or too good for you" attitude many have here in Northern NJ any day.

That Waspy and so on I would say would more exist in the more wealthy communities in my opinion.

Hoboken, NJ is mostly "yuppyville" - they even speak that language "yup-yup-yup" - only kidding
Yes, I see exactly what you mean with Hoboken. Very yuppie. The Waspy, horse farm stereotype doesn't only exist in the wealthy communities. It exists in much of rural, middle-class Connecticut as well in towns like Burlington, Woodbury, Cornwall, Sherman, Southbury and even Watertown. I'd say the 'horse-farm' stereotype exists more in the middle-class CT towns than the wealthy.

ctmoving-

I do know how you feel when you say CT isn't a great place for a single person without a family. You're right, unless you live in New Haven, SoNo or Stamford (which with the exception of New Haven, can cost you dearly). There is a reason why Connecticut is losing so much of the younger population. It's very expensive here compared to most parts of the country and, for people in their 20's, they pay so much and get so little in return when it comes to their preferences.

One thing I do respect about people in CT is that they are real. People here are not fake or, imo, materialistic. They will tell you how it is, and if you don't like it, too bad. To the contrary, I've noticed any other area I go to, people are always telling you what you want to hear, not how it is. I've noticed this down south, in the Midwest and out in California.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,723 times
i live in east hartford, but i grew up in stafford springs, a small rural town. i would stay very far away from the southern end of the state. i absolutely love the willimantic and willington areas. beautiful woods, and farms. my sister goes to eastern university and practically everyone there is a hippie. its wicked rad man. stafford now has an arts collective too. its really cool. there is a large metal scene in stafford, but the other half of the kids there are hippies man. its the gnarleyest thing. these cats are right for the most part, eastern ct man!
peace

Old 10-23-2007, 02:23 PM

333 posts, read 467,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyreefer View Post
i live in east hartford, but i grew up in stafford springs, a small rural town. i would stay very far away from the southern end of the state. i absolutely love the willimantic and willington areas. beautiful woods, and farms. my sister goes to eastern university and practically everyone there is a hippie. its wicked rad man. stafford now has an arts collective too. its really cool. there is a large metal scene in stafford, but the other half of the kids there are hippies man. its the gnarleyest thing. these cats are right for the most part, eastern ct man!
peace
Yes, eastern CT is much more liberal than western. The small towns west of Waterbury and New Haven are generally very conservative - but compared to other far right-wing areas in the nation, Connecticut conservatives are considered liberal.

The majority of the CT conservatives are against the war, don't approve of the current administration and the focus of their conservativeness has much to do with money. Check it out - the wealthier the town, the more [fiscally] conservative.

I hope I didn't go too far into politics for the forum - sorry if I did.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:55 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post
The majority of the CT conservatives are against the war, don't approve of the current administration and the focus of their conservativeness has much to do with money. Check it out - the wealthier the town, the more [fiscally] conservative.
Not this guy...Speak for yourself!

Granted I'm a Waterburian by birth which is a whoooooole other breed of CT Native.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:33 PM

333 posts, read 467,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Not this guy...Speak for yourself!

Granted I'm a Waterburian by birth which is a whoooooole other breed of CT Native.
Of course I didn't mean everyone - I was simply generalizing after looking at a CT town map from the 2004 election. Quinnipiac has also done a few studies noting that western CT (particularly southwestern CT - a line from Wolcott to New Haven) is very conservative while, in fitting with the thread, eastern CT is more "granola."

Sure there are liberals in southwest Connecticut and conservatives in eastern. I'd say, however, the vast majority of folks in CT are moderates without even realizing it!

Who knows? Your political views probably stem from your roots. Greater Waterbury, from what I gather, is one of the most conservative areas in the state, probably more along the lines of the Stamford/Greenwich area.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:58 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post
Greater Waterbury, from what I gather, is one of the most conservative areas in the state, probably more along the lines of the Stamford/Greenwich area.
Yep, it sure is. Hey somebody has to watch the cash drawer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut