Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 02:18 AM

158 posts, read 215,746 times

Advertisements

ooohh baby! We're going to be in the market for a couple of new cars in a few months

I currently drive a Honda CRV. Great cars Hondas. I've driven 3 different ones over 10 years & never had an issue. Ever.
My husband has his heart set on a 1960's Mustang. I need to remind him we have a couple of appendages now, oops I mean kids & this really is not so practical.

So, What do you drive? & more importantly (or interesting perhaps) tell me what you WISH you drove?!

I would like to know about American cars like Pontiac, Buick, Chevrolet, Dodge, Chrysler & Lincoln (I assume all of these are American cars)??

I can easily put Japanese & European cars in a certain pecking order, I'm not sure where American ones fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 06:16 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,817 times
frankly the American cars aren't even worth ranking...hate 'em. Sorry to say but have had nothing but bad experiences everytime I have owned an American car. You will see very few American cars in Fairfield County. I'm a Honda/Acura/Lexus lover myself

Old 10-24-2010, 06:19 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
American SUVs are much more common than American sedans around here. The American sedans seem to be rated pretty low, while the SUVs are competitive with foreign brands.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:24 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,557 times
"I currently drive a Honda CRV. Great cars Hondas"

i think you answered your own question. with the kid situation, i take it you want something a bit bigger so i'm surprised you haven't considered the Pilot or Odyssey given you already know Hondas are reliable.
as far as American cars, can't help you there - never bought one myself. since and including 1980 when i got my first Honda, i've owned 10 of them (red Civic hatch, silver Accord hatch, red Prelude, blue Civic sedan, red Civic coupe, silver Civic coupe, red Civic coupe, red Element, lt blue Fit, black Fit). wouldn't buy anything else.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:30 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
We've had good luck with Dodges, but terrible luck with Chevrolet. I personally don't care for many American cars.

I think where you will be living will influence what you drive, when it comes to 2WD/AWD. A 1960's Mustang would be sweet, but not necessarily practical. The last few homes we've lived in have been in hilly areas, and we need AWD in the winters. We recently moved and tried to find a home with a level driveway, but we ended up with an even steeper driveway than the last. We just cannot get out of our driveway with 2WD. Plus, with 3 kids/2 big dogs we need space. I agree that Hondas are great cars, my last car was a Honda. Now I drive a Subaru Tribeca. But I think Subarus are actually made in the U.S.?

Old 10-24-2010, 06:39 AM

109 posts, read 437,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneybeach View Post
ooohh baby! We're going to be in the market for a couple of new cars in a few months

I currently drive a Honda CRV. Great cars Hondas. I've driven 3 different ones over 10 years & never had an issue. Ever.
My husband has his heart set on a 1960's Mustang. I need to remind him we have a couple of appendages now, oops I mean kids & this really is not so practical.

So, What do you drive? & more importantly (or interesting perhaps) tell me what you WISH you drove?!

I would like to know about American cars like Pontiac, Buick, Chevrolet, Dodge, Chrysler & Lincoln (I assume all of these are American cars)??

I can easily put Japanese & European cars in a certain pecking order, I'm not sure where American ones fit in.
We have a Lexus, a Toyota, and a Dodge. The Dodge is a pile of garbage and is always at the mechanic. When the Lexus and Toyota wear out, we will buy the same. Love them!!

Old 10-24-2010, 06:55 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
You will see very few American cars in Fairfield County.
"Foreign" nameplates do appear to outnumber "Domestic" nameplates throughout the county. However, i don't agree that there are very few "American" cars in FFC. Even in the toniest communities, like New Canaan, you will see more than a few "Domestic" cars in their driveways and garages. A little hole in the wall dealership like Karl Chevy in New Canaan wouldn't be able to survive all of these years if they were only selling Suburbans and Tahoes.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:40 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
I have a Jeep Wrangler. Had very minimal problems with it. I'll likely replace it with a new one in the spring.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:00 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I had a CRv and it was my favorite car. I was sorry to get rid of it but both of our vehicles were aging fast and we were in danger of having to buy two cars at once. We have two SUV's, one large and one small. Both are Honda brands. Very pleased with both. Jay

Old 10-24-2010, 08:08 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,032 times
We just bought a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid and it is superb. The new ones are better looking but also quite a bit more expensive.

The American brands worth considering are Ford and Buick based on quality rating results. Recently, there have been some good GMC and Chevy models, but those brands are not consistent between models in their quality and reliability. As a taxpayer, my money would go to Ford first, because they didn't go crying to the government for money. Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge/Jeep seem only able to shape the sheet metal nicely and I wonder if any self-respecting engineer would work for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut