Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2010, 03:11 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times

Advertisements

I am in my first fall season in a home and have a lot of leaves to deal with. Many are from last year. The previous home owner either left them in one of two pile in front and side yards.

Does anyone know of any companies that will come and pick them up without having to bag them if I get them near the road?

I would go through dozens of bags easily if I was going to bag them and it would take forever.

My backyard is a little deep and I though of putting them back their in the woods. But previous owners have already stock piled leaves back there. Which is another issue I need to take on eventually. I want to eventually clear that out a bit to make my back yard usability bigger. But now Ive got to deal with mountains of leaves and compost. No idea how Im going to tackle that job but first and foremost I want to deal with the leaves Ive got in the main portion of my yard that isnt part of the woods.

I live in Hamden so if anyone knows a good company that does this, could you post? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 01:04 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Suprised no posts with this one....Each town has their own rules...When I lived in Stamford it was nice to blow the leaves into a pile on the street and then the town comes to pick them up..... on the other hand I hated driving down streets or trying to park where piles of leaves were.

Do what I do and while I do it, I wonder why nobody else does.... Mow them! Its the best (and free) fertilizer for your lawn! My grass was greener than neighbors the summer drought. So forget the rake...mow the leaves baby and feel good doing it... Yard might look messy for a month, but in the spring it will look fresh. Clippings will fill in any soiless spots too.

Hamden, Connecticut - General Refuse & Recycling Policies

Leaves - must be recycled by packing in brown paper leaf bags. In fall and spring, collection dates are announced in local newspapers by the Director of Public Works. Other times, leaves can be transported to Hamden’s composting site behind the Recycling Center/Transfer Station; or compost them in your own backyard; only put in the woods if it is your property! Small brush (branches with diameter smaller than a thumb) can be put in leaf bags, too.·Grass clippings - illegal to dispose of in trash, leave them on the lawn, where they will decompose and act as a natural fertilizer; or mix into your home compost pile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut