Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:48 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
That is such a twisted false article. Can't be further form the Truth , Roads and Highways are not paided off and cost more in the long run. Light Rail stimulates growth , look at Jersey City , Denver , LA , Boston etc for that. A typical Light Rail car is 2x longer then a bus. How do Mass Transit systems as a whole use more energy? The Newer buses and Trains use less. That whole article is pure crap....+ there are no planned or purposed Light Rail lines in CT. The Bus system is pretty good along the southern bottom. Regional Rail doesn't cost as much as Light Rail.
Prove your allegations or they are merely your opinion. The article I cited is from an expert. Are you an known expert in this field?. Where is your proof and support from reliable sources ?

Furthermore, you never address that the CT legislature steals 60 cents from every dollar collected from fuel tax and gives it over to the general fund. Get that money back into transportation, and you would likely have enough money to improve the hideous socialized mass transit system here in CT and also rebuild the crumbling highways and bridges, to boot.

People like Blumenthal sue tobbaco companies. This was a was vulgar shakedown leaving less than 24% of the money from the settlement for tobacco related illness and education, the rest went into, where else?.... the good old general fund.. This is what's wrong with CT, and those who support the thieves in Hartford. You all clap and cheer for Rell, Blumenthal, and the Legislature, yet they rip you off day after day, and you ask for more. Pathetic.

Last edited by brien51; 10-29-2010 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 03:25 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
That is such a twisted false article. Can't be further form the Truth , Roads and Highways are not paided off and cost more in the long run. Light Rail stimulates growth , look at Jersey City , Denver , LA , Boston etc for that. A typical Light Rail car is 2x longer then a bus. How do Mass Transit systems as a whole use more energy? The Newer buses and Trains use less. That whole article is pure crap....+ there are no planned or purposed Light Rail lines in CT. The Bus system is pretty good along the southern bottom. Regional Rail doesn't cost as much as Light Rail.
Sadly the article is true. Lgiht rail RARELY pays for itself. even lines that are thought to be highly successful like Portland Oregon's system mis heavily subsidized. There really needs to be a high density of riders to even come close to breaking even.

As for highways, they do pay for themsleves and then some. Like it was noted, Ct has bee robbing its highway funds for years. New Jersey does the same. That is why there is such shortfalls in their funds now. Jay

Old 10-29-2010, 05:14 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky View Post
I don't understand....how are these towns able to dictate the plans on infrastructure improvements that will subsequently encourage economic growth and prepare the state for the future. What can be done to improve mass transit, I-95, super 7, or the Merritt Parkway without these golden yuppies of Fairfield County trumping everything???

I assume 50 years from now the infrastructure (or lack thereof) will basically be identical to what we have available today?
It's a good bet.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:35 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
What is "High Speed?" 80 MPH average speed or maybe it reaches that speed for a mile resulting in average speed of 40MPH. Parking is a problem in many commuter systems, sometimes the best answer is to build a new station in open territory.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:00 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
Prove your allegations or they are merely your opinion. The article I cited is from an expert. Are you an known expert in this field?. Where is your proof and support from reliable sources ?

Furthermore, you never address that the CT legislature steals 60 cents from every dollar collected from fuel tax and gives it over to the general fund. Get that money back into transportation, and you would likely have enough money to improve the hideous socialized mass transit system here in CT and also rebuild the crumbling highways and bridges, to boot.

People like Blumenthal sue tobbaco companies. This was a was vulgar shakedown leaving less than 24% of the money from the settlement for tobacco related illness and education, the rest went into, where else?.... the good old general fund.. This is what's wrong with CT, and those who support the thieves in Hartford. You all clap and cheer for Rell, Blumenthal, and the Legislature, yet they rip you off day after day, and you ask for more. Pathetic.
They aren't i have the list of Conn Dot projects , non of your cities can support Light Rail , only streetcars and BRT. Mass Transit isn't socialized , thats really not even close.... People have a choice to use it or not. Majority of people in this region do use though. I'm a Rail Fanner , i know alot about the Northeastern Rail network , Past , Current and Future. I floated LRT past my CT friends and they thought it wouldn't work to expensive for the state vs. Streetcars. CT will rebuild its Highways hopefully at the same place it does it Railway network. CT should not build anymore Highways though , you have enough as is. Isn't your governor currently Republican?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sadly the article is true. Lgiht rail RARELY pays for itself. even lines that are thought to be highly successful like Portland Oregon's system mis heavily subsidized. There really needs to be a high density of riders to even come close to breaking even.

As for highways, they do pay for themsleves and then some. Like it was noted, Ct has bee robbing its highway funds for years. New Jersey does the same. That is why there is such shortfalls in their funds now. Jay
Well yea , no highways except Toll highways pay for themselves. Yea , the original Highways did , but now thats not the case. Your state would have to raise the Gas Tax higher for that to happen , or the feds. It has nothing to do with Highway funding being robbed , its the fact your network has gotten bigger then can be paided for. Portland hasn't been successful , only the MBTA's Green line has. Every Northeastern state robs its Highway or Toll Fund for Transit projects. We really only use the Toll $$$ for Projects like the Terribly planned ARC and other projects. PATH does it for there Tolls.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:13 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
Prove your allegations or they are merely your opinion. The article I cited is from an expert. Are you an known expert in this field?
Totally a very biased opinion, and a HUGE NO to being an expert.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Totally a very biased opinion, and a HUGE NO to being an expert.
LOL , are you stalking my posts now? What makes you a Rail Fan? Oh wait your not......i kno alot about Rail , different Rail types and locos........do you want proof of my Rail Fanning adventures? Please stop personally attacking my state (directed at me) in a PM or on other forums.....

Last edited by DarkWolf; 10-29-2010 at 08:36 PM..

Old 10-29-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Well yea , no highways except Toll highways pay for themselves. Yea , the original Highways did , but now thats not the case. Your state would have to raise the Gas Tax higher for that to happen , or the feds. It has nothing to do with Highway funding being robbed , its the fact your network has gotten bigger then can be paided for. Portland hasn't been successful , only the MBTA's Green line has. Every Northeastern state robs its Highway or Toll Fund for Transit projects. We really only use the Toll $$$ for Projects like the Terribly planned ARC and other projects. PATH does it for there Tolls.
i am not sure what you are saying here but I will say that most states fund their roads through gas taxes, vehicle fees or tolls. The Feds get their money from a gas tax too. They do pay for themselves. Jay

Old 10-29-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
We really only use the Toll $$$ for Projects like the Terribly planned ARC and other projects. PATH does it for there Tolls.
Not to go off topic but why do you say ARC is terribly planned? Jay

Old 10-30-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
i am not sure what you are saying here but I will say that most states fund their roads through gas taxes, vehicle fees or tolls. The Feds get their money from a gas tax too. They do pay for themselves. Jay
The gas tax in every state is too low to cover all the highways. Some states in the Midwest can't afford theres anymore. Some states are grinding up low used roads into Gravel streets.

Quote:
Not to go off topic but why do you say ARC is terribly planned? Jay
1. No direct connections to the Current and Future Amtrak Penn

2. Non-Expandable station , 6 tracks does not cut it now at stations like Newark which is half of what NYP gets.

3. Too deep , these days i don't think stations should be that deep what if there was a fire or worse.

4. The Original plan was just new tunnels , but one wonders why they didn't just push for that in the final days. Everyone in the Rail community saw this coming. There was also a plan to build Tunnels and a station to GCT , that would have been better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut