Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,569 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

We are currently in NYC and looking to get out!

I recently saw an article about West Hartford being one of the "Best Places to Live".
Best Places to Live 2010 - Top 100: City details: West Hartford, CT - from MONEY Magazine

We are looking for a suburb in one of the major cities, more on the quaint side that is family friendly. We both have Masters degrees, and it seems that Connecticut is a very well - educated state with good schools, West Hartford in particular. We value this for our children. We also would like and appreciate a kind of "laid - back" environment ... we are currently in NYC and are kind of fed up with the kind of competitiveness -- or in other words, "keeping up with the Joneses" that we are fining here.

I would like some thoughts on this and any other suggestions.

Thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 12:53 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Unfortunately "Keeping up with the Jones" can happen anywhere in this country. West Hartford is a nice quiet town with a great family atmosphere. There are however many equally nice towns in the Hartford area. Probably the biggest issue for a move would be work. Make sure you have a job lined up before moving anywhere. Jay

Old 10-27-2010, 01:09 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,563 times
Work and your commute is the single most important aspect of your relocation. Most CT government schools are ok, but you are much better off placing your children in private schools if you can afford it. The government schools are broke due to union work rules, entitlements, and other problems in funding The Dept of Education in CT is trying to solve some of the government school problems, but the unions almost block every step of the way. They are currently undergoing the argument(s) over tenure. The teachers are all well educated, and must have a Masters within less than 10 years from their first teaching job, but that makes for stressed younger teachers who have to get their Masters while working, unless they get it before their first job, which most don't.

I would hook up with Trinity College in Hartford for guidance since it has ties to Ireland. I would think those folks would help you out in whatever you require to help make an informed decision. Best of luck

Old 10-27-2010, 01:27 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,847 times
what does keeping up with jones really mean in USA? Is it more of keeping up with the conspicuous consumption in the neighborhood or fighting it out in everything. I think its possible to fight it out in consumption since money is the common denominator but its much harder to compare other aspects like personality, interest, character.....

Old 10-27-2010, 01:58 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
Hi Fionna,

Have you decided on where you'll be working and your budget? Reason I ask is that will ultimately determine where you end up. If you find a job in Hartford, then it's best to find a home west of the river, and W. Hartford is worth exploring. There's about 65,000 people here so that might not be considered quaint, but it's not so crowded that you feel overwhelmed. I also know a few people living here who are directly from Ireland as well, if that matters (including one of my neighbors.) It's safe and family friendly and the schools are great. Another reason you might like it there are quite a few transplants from Boston and New York who are new to the area, so you might have an easier time meeting others.

There are other towns worth looking into as well that are a little bit further from the capitol city - Simsbury, Avon and Farmington are all really nice. All of these are family oriented towns with excellent schools and the crime rates are low here as well. These towns are much more subdued so there's less here to do as far as activities or dining or shopping, but that's how they prefer it there - residents would rather it be low-key and it is.
If you find work east of the river, I think your best locations would be South Windsor and Glastonbury. Both towns are nice and have strong schools.

Jay, I think what the OP meant by "keeping up w/the Jonses" was specific to NYC. That attitude may exist here, but IMHO it's much more prevalent and extreme in a big city like that. Personally I think people are more down to earth here in Connecticut.

Brien - I completely agree that the schools could be better structured financially, but to say that our schools are just "OK" seems likea bit of an understatement. At least I think so.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 10-27-2010 at 02:38 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 12:05 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
Work and your commute is the single most important aspect of your relocation. Most CT government schools are ok, but you are much better off placing your children in private schools if you can afford it. The government schools are broke due to union work rules, entitlements, and other problems in funding The Dept of Education in CT is trying to solve some of the government school problems, but the unions almost block every step of the way. They are currently undergoing the argument(s) over tenure. The teachers are all well educated, and must have a Masters within less than 10 years from their first teaching job, but that makes for stressed younger teachers who have to get their Masters while working, unless they get it before their first job, which most don't.

I would hook up with Trinity College in Hartford for guidance since it has ties to Ireland. I would think those folks would help you out in whatever you require to help make an informed decision. Best of luck
I really do not agree with this. The public schools in Connecticut are mostly excellent and rival many private schools. Not all schools are having the budget issues you mention and not all unions are at odds with the school system. Jay

Old 10-28-2010, 09:38 PM

428 posts, read 1,174,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I really do not agree with this. The public schools in Connecticut are mostly excellent and rival many private schools. Not all schools are having the budget issues you mention and not all unions are at odds with the school system. Jay
Agreed. CT's public schools are phenomenal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut