Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 11:33 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I normally don't fault out of state drivers for cutting in at the last minute because most of the time, they don't know the roads. It's when you see local drivers doing this that you know it's with malicious intent. Maybe it's where you guys live that you don't see awful CT drivers as much as I do - but in traveling all over New Haven and Fairfield County....it's like a drag race out there.

Normally I would agree but this particular ramp and signage is very visible for a very long time and constantly the out of staters will blow by all the traffic sitting there and then last minute ditch in and that causes the back up really.

On some particular days, the ramp literally only has a CT plate every 3rd or 4th car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 11:38 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Normally I would agree but this particular ramp and signage is very visible for a very long time and constantly the out of staters will blow by all the traffic sitting there and then last minute ditch in and that causes the back up really.

On some particular days, the ramp literally only has a CT plate every 3rd or 4th car.
What's your general driving style, JViello?

Old 10-31-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
What's your general driving style, JViello?
Well, I used to be crazy in my younger days...who wasn't to some degree.

But generally speaking, I"m a middle lane guy, patient 70-75mph, lightly brake to let people in instead of hitting the gas. (Although there are instances where it's more efficient to accelerate to get out of their way too.) I use signals 95% of the time, respect the left lane but feel no remorse for the agressive ahole behind me if I'm overtaking a car while going 75mph and they are just impatient and expect me to go 85 to pass quicker and run up on me at 90mph and slam on their brakes last minute. That's just pisses me off.

Mind you, I've owned some rediculously powerful vehicles. Even my current diesel is making roughly 650hp and 1400lb ft so I've got nothing to prove, I know what they can do. Every once in while I might put a young punk in a Subaru in his place and watch his jaw drop when he downshifts, goes full throttle to get around me and I instantly jump 3 cars ahead and then let off and leave him in a cloud of black smoke.

This is a similar set up to what I have...same truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhgv3HeDDc4

Most people don't know what to make of it. LOL

But 99% of the time, I'm just the considerate, middle land guy who knows the rules of the road and lets the fruitcakes be fruitcakes.

Why do you ask?

Old 10-31-2010, 12:06 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Well, I used to be crazy in my younger days...who wasn't to some degree.

But generally speaking, I"m a middle lane guy, patient 70-75mph, lightly brake to let people in instead of hitting the gas. (Although there are instances where it's more efficient to accelerate to get out of their way too.) I use signals 95% of the time, respect the left lane but feel no remorse for the agressive ahole behind me if I'm overtaking a car while going 75mph and they are just impatient and expect me to go 85 to pass quicker and run up on me at 90mph and slam on their brakes last minute. That's just pisses me off.

Mind you, I've owned some rediculously powerful vehicles. Even my current diesel is making roughly 650hp and 1400lb ft so I've got nothing to prove, I know what they can do. Every once in while I might put a young punk in a Subaru in his place and watch his jaw drop when he downshifts, goes full throttle to get around me and I instantly jump 3 cars ahead and then let off and leave him in a cloud of black smoke.

This is a similar set up to what I have...same truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhgv3HeDDc4

Most people don't know what to make of it. LOL

But 99% of the time, I'm just the considerate, middle land guy who knows the rules of the road and lets the fruitcakes be fruitcakes.

Why do you ask?
I was just curious to see if your driving style was similar to mine.

It pretty much, is. I like to go pretty fast when circumstances allow, but I'm not one of those guys who's switching in and out of lanes, tailgating and such to try to go a speed that's faster than the overall traffic will allow. I'm also pretty considerate, always signal and stop for red lights and stop signs, and unlike the vast majority of drivers, I actually honor yield signs. But when the road is open, I still love to put a little lead in my right shoe and drive that speedo needle well to the right....

Old 10-31-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I was just curious to see if your driving style was similar to mine.

It pretty much, is. I like to go pretty fast when circumstances allow, but I'm not one of those guys who's switching in and out of lanes, tailgating and such to try to go a speed that's faster than the overall traffic will allow. I'm also pretty considerate, always signal and stop for red lights and stop signs, and unlike the vast majority of drivers, I actually honor yield signs. But when the road is open, I still love to put a little lead in my right shoe and drive that speedo needle well to the right....

Old 10-31-2010, 01:05 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Exactly why we should have tolls in Danbury, Union, Greenwich and North Stonington!

Old 10-31-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Exactly why we should have tolls in Danbury, Union, Greenwich and North Stonington!
I still say we should have them at the borders and cars with CT plates get a "pass" for free. This can be done either by the toll worker visually waving the car through or with an EZ Pass. This way the state is not double dipping on residents yet those out of staters using our roads no longer do so for free. And make it a good one too like DE, MD, NJ and NY do. $13.00 to cross a freakin bridge? Okay, $3.50 to get past the "gateway" to New England.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:28 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
I've always thought of Mass drivers as among the worst drivers (M*******s), second only to NJ.
Now waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute!

You now got the njguy's attention how dare you, you didn't think I was going to read your post hmmmmm?! LOL!

IMO: Yes second to NORTHERN and most of CENTRAL NJ's drivers.

It's no picnic in the park driving in CT on 95 going 2 - 5 mph over the speed limit in the right lane. I may as well as have a rear target as many drivers just don't "get it" that I'm NOT going to go faster just because they're behind me as well as they're quite selfish not to go to the other clear(er) lanes to proceed at their warp speed. I've felt many times that I was going to get rear-ended from such drivers. The auto mechanics must make a great living doing brake jobs as I see how some drivers "fly" off of 95.

MA drivers, please don't get me started albeit I like MA minus the drivers and antiquated DV laws. lol!

Old 10-31-2010, 07:43 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
The major interchanges in Hartford & New Haven need to be completely reworked. I doubt that will ever happen though.

When I was younger I enjoyed mixing it up with the aggressive drivers around here, but now I prefer to watch from a far, as the chaos unravels. At times it's like a video game.
The 84-8 interchange in Waterbury is pretty scary stuff too. I hate those bridges and ramps. At least the 91-95-34 interchange in New Haven is getting rebuilt.

I once saw an aggressive driver wipe out right in front of me on Route 128 near Boston. I was getting on 128, the guy behind me in his luxury sedan pulls out from behind and starts the speed-n'-weave stuff. Ends up losing control, wipes out in the jersey barrier, takes the car in the left lane with him. Ditto 395 in Oxford MA. Guy behind me gets too anxious, pulls out and starts speed-n'-weaving, runs a Blazer off into the median. The Blazer ended up catching up to the guy, I found the two pulled over about 3-4 miles away. I rather stay far away from the maniacs when possible, I don't want to be caught up.

Worst five states for driving: NY, NJ, MA, CT, FL

Old 11-01-2010, 06:23 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
I think the exchange on the way to Hartford (coming north on 91) is a lot better than it used to be. I was always mortified when I had to go over the Charter Oak Bridge to get to Boston, or the near-hairpin turn coming back from the Charter Oak to the 91 ramp. Now THAT was scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut