Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 04:52 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Where have you gotten your speeding tickets? I have yet to get a speeding ticket on a highway in Connecticut. My last speeder was actually on Route 1 in Southport/Fairfield, at a point where it is a semi-highway.
Now that's a good question. For all the in-staters & out-of-staters reading this here's my IMO.

Been driving here in Conn for about 25 yrs and there are only 2 spots that have been consistently patrolled by the staties in that time. They are;

Rt 8 north\south between Torrington & Waterbury
Rt 9 north\south between Middletown & Old Saybrook (especially in the summer)

Honorable mention to the i-91 & Rt 9 interchange in Cromwell\Middletown (the staties seem to have given up in this area)

I also learned to not drive a red car. Had one once and I was getting pulled over all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:08 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
The 84-8 interchange in Waterbury is pretty scary stuff too. I hate those bridges and ramps. At least the 91-95-34 interchange in New Haven is getting rebuilt.

I once saw an aggressive driver wipe out right in front of me on Route 128 near Boston. I was getting on 128, the guy behind me in his luxury sedan pulls out from behind and starts the speed-n'-weave stuff. Ends up losing control, wipes out in the jersey barrier, takes the car in the left lane with him. Ditto 395 in Oxford MA. Guy behind me gets too anxious, pulls out and starts speed-n'-weaving, runs a Blazer off into the median. The Blazer ended up catching up to the guy, I found the two pulled over about 3-4 miles away. I rather stay far away from the maniacs when possible, I don't want to be caught up.

Worst five states for driving: NY, NJ, MA, CT, FL

I spend half my year driving allover the lower 48 states... Mass and south Fl. EASILY hold the title of worst drivers in the country. South Fl. problally the worst cause it's only a 50/50 shot that the other drivers around you are legal ie. registered, insured, liciensed.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 AM

73 posts, read 198,012 times
I hate when people generalize an entire state.

I travel to all different states and I see bad drivers everywhere!!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:50 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgirl36 View Post
I hate when people generalize an entire state.

I travel to all different states and I see bad drivers everywhere!!
You're right of course.. There's bad drivers everywhere...

But again as someone that averages well over 50K miles a year allover the country.. The highest percentages of bad drivers are still in Mass in south Fl.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:51 AM

529 posts, read 1,325,832 times
Hmm...interesting. Now I know why this happens in New Mexico and not Texas or Oklahoma. The mass migration of New Englanders here that drive slower than the speed limit. I always wondered but now there is an answer. Slower is not necessarily a bad thing. Just irritating.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:52 AM

79 posts, read 203,663 times
This thread seems devoted to highways. Since most of my motoring is urban, there is one Ct. quirk that drives (no pun) me crazy:

drivers who wait behind the stop line at controled intersections to make a left turn rather than enter the intersection and wait there for oncoming traffic to ease or stop.

If I'm behind such a car, I can't "stack" and both of us then must wait for the next change of light.

I've driven all over the country, and this habit seems native to this state. Is there a a Ct. law prohibiting waiting in the intersection.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:01 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgorfain View Post
Most of this thread is devoted to highways. Since most of my motoring is urban, there is one Ct. quirk that drives (no pun) me crazy: drivers who wait behind the stop line at controled intersections to make a left turn rather than enter the intersection and wait there for oncoming traffic to ease or stop. If I'm behind such a car, I can't "stack" and both of us then must wait for the next change of light.

I've driven all over the country, and this habit seems native to this state. Is there a a Ct. law prohibiting waiting in the intersection.
I usually wait behind the stoplight line rather than pulling out in the intersection. I used to pull out in the intersection, but over the past 1-2 years in Stamford it's become more common for oncoming cars to keep going even after the light is red and opposing traffic begins to go straight (where I would be turning left). By pulling out in the intersection and waiting for oncoming cars to stop coming even after the light has turned red, I have risked being hit by cars on my right which thankfully stopped even though they had the right of way. It's not worth the danger of getting T-boned even though there is no law against waiting in the intersection.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 AM

79 posts, read 203,663 times
Can appreciate your caution, K. Especially at rushhour in Stamford!

Nonetheles, still don't understand why the practice seems unique to Ct. Don't think oncoming cars at a controlled interesection are a bigger menace here than other states.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:57 AM

250 posts, read 563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Perhaps subconsciously you already had your mind made up that NY and MA drivers are awful, and when you see them driving badly, you automatically come to the above conclusion. Psychology at its best.

I can't get over how some people on this forum consistently give the benefit of the doubt to CT, and anything that has to do with CT, even if it were to smack them in the face.
Exactly! If you are out there purposely monitoring out of state plate for aggressive driving you will surely see what you wanna see. It's all mind set. You tend to observe out of state plate for aggressive driving meanwhile CT drivers will be doing worse right around you. Out of state drivers may seem aggressive to CT drivers but bear in mind they are driving through the state to other state or home state so there is no time to waste(That doesn't give them the right to be "aggressive" though but hey...). CT drivers may be coasting because they are at home and probably have no need to rush.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:13 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgorfain View Post
This thread seems devoted to highways. Since most of my motoring is urban, there is one Ct. quirk that drives (no pun) me crazy:

drivers who wait behind the stop line at controled intersections to make a left turn rather than enter the intersection and wait there for oncoming traffic to ease or stop.

If I'm behind such a car, I can't "stack" and both of us then must wait for the next change of light.

No, there's no law prohibiting waiting in the intersection. However, if your light should change to red -while- you're in "the box" you could be ticketed for running a red light and blocking traffic and are not legally authorized to continue, but there's someone behind you so you can't back up. Point being, you have to be on the correct side of the light to see when it turns yellow.

At some intersections, it can be profoundly stupid to creep forward, especially during rush hour. It's just begging for a traffic jam. At other intersections, it's the only way you can take that left. Once you become accustomed to the area, you learn which is which.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut