Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 07:00 PM

293 posts, read 782,119 times

Advertisements

In the near future I'll be getting a new place (got a new job in Berlin) and I'd like to reside close to work.

I'm considering either an Apartment or perhaps finding someone with a home and sharing it (i.e. craigslist).

Of the towns close to Berlin (and Berlin itself) I'd love any input you may have, good or bad. So here are the towns I'd love to hear more about:

Plainville
New Britain
Newington
Rocky Hill
Cromwell
Middletown
Meriden
Cheshire
Southington
Berlin

Here's what I'm interested in:

1. Easy access to Berlin Tpke
2. Safe neighborhoods (i.e. not looking to live in the ghetto)
3. Close access to grocery store (preferably Stop & Shop)
4. Large population of hot asian triplets (optional but preferred)

I could care less about schools, night life, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 06:58 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
I work in Berlin, and I would tell you to steer clear of Meriden and New Britain.

I would recommend Middletown or Newington. There are numerous apartment complexes in those towns and they are within 5-20 minutes to Berlin. The turnpike goes through Wethersfield, Newington, Berlin, and ends in Meriden. However, if you're particular about the place you want to live in, Newington apartment complexes are all old and outdated. None of them have washers & dryers in the units, either. Rocky Hill's apartment choices are similar to Newington's, just less. Cromwell, Berlin, Cheshire, Plainville and Southington have virtually nothing for rent, unless maybe you look on Craigslist. No complexes there, except for one in Southington and one in Plainville, but they're not great.

With that said, if you must have a washer & dryer in your own unit, I would recommend the West Lake area of Middletown. There is also The Village at Wethersfield, in Wethersfield.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:25 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
You're all over the place- let's try to narrow down your choices.

I would eliminate both New Britain and Meriden as a place to look for housing. They are more urban in feel than the other towns and have typical urban issues in many, but not all, neighbohoods.

The Berlin Turnpike starts at the Berlin/ Meriden line and runs north/ north easterly through Berlin to Newington to Wethersfield. So it might be easier to look in that corridor or somewhere with easy acccess to the Turnpike. You also wanted to be close to a Stop and Shop.

Northern Middletown and western Cromwell will give you very easy access to both the Berlin Turnpike and to a Stop and Shop. There are many housing options in both these towns from apartments in two family homes, to apartments complexes to tons of rentable condos.

There are two Stop and Shops in Newington, one right off the Berlin Turnpike. There are also many housing choices in this town as there are in Wethersfield . Wethersfield also has a Stop and Shop right on the Berlin Turnpike.

There are no bad areas in my opinion, in Cromwell, Berlin, or Wethersfield. Middletown has a couple of sketchy neighborhoods. But none in the northern westerly areas close to the Berlin Turnpike.

Berlin itself is a lovely town and also has a Stop and Shop.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:28 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,991 times
i live in the West Lake area of Middletown and i like the area a lot. Cromwell and Rocky Hill are close by and are very nice towns, Berlin from what i've seen of it is nice as well. it takes me maybe 12 mins to reach the Berlin Tpke via Rt 9 (exit 21 to 372) but have the added benefit of being right near rt 372 in case i want to take the scenic route.
I91, Rt 9 and Rt 3 are all right there off 372. if you need to take I91 south, there are back roads from West Lake (Smith to Middle or Smith to Miner) that bring you to the entry ramp at exit 20 which i think is easier than getting on south bound from 372. but that's me.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:55 AM

I work in Berlin and am moving to Middletown later this month. I also lived in the Hartford, CT area almost my entire life. So yes, Middletown is probably the best choice in this particular arrangement.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:27 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I work in Berlin, and I would tell you to steer clear of Meriden and New Britain.

I would recommend Middletown or Newington. There are numerous apartment complexes in those towns and they are within 5-20 minutes to Berlin. The turnpike goes through Wethersfield, Newington, Berlin, and ends in Meriden. However, if you're particular about the place you want to live in, Newington apartment complexes are all old and outdated. None of them have washers & dryers in the units, either. Rocky Hill's apartment choices are similar to Newington's, just less. Cromwell, Berlin, Cheshire, Plainville and Southington have virtually nothing for rent, unless maybe you look on Craigslist. No complexes there, except for one in Southington and one in Plainville, but they're not great.

With that said, if you must have a washer & dryer in your own unit, I would recommend the West Lake area of Middletown. There is also The Village at Wethersfield, in Wethersfield.
I agree with you. Jay

Old 11-01-2010, 03:34 PM

Yeah, I had heard some stuff about Meriden and New Britain, so appreciate the confirmation on that end.

Also,thanks to all who chimed in with such useful advice!

Old 11-01-2010, 04:33 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
West Lake area of Middletown is probably your best bet, but IMO the rents are high in that area for what your getting. You can try looking up rentals at rarereminder.com (its a small once weekly paper) for some decent rents in Cromwell, Rocky Hill, Newington, and Wethersfield. There is a small section of Rocky Hill with many duplexes. I lived there before - liked it and the rents were reasonable.

I would remove New Britain & Meriden from your list immediately unless you are very familiar with these cities.

Each city does have some good areas. As an example, nearly all hoods around CCSU are good in New Britain. (excluding Allen St)

Old 11-01-2010, 07:32 PM

Yeah, for an apt I'm probably expecting somewhere in the $800-$1,000/month range or a shared home probably around $600/mo I think, give or take

Old 11-01-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyfromMA View Post
Yeah, for an apt I'm probably expecting somewhere in the $800-$1,000/month range or a shared home probably around $600/mo I think, give or take
For that price range, I think you could find something decent in Middletown or Newington. It probably won't have a washer & dryer in the unit though, if that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut