Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2007, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,529 times

Advertisements

This site is great and I've found a lot of information about Connecticut. However, I've seen some conflicting info about the commute from Stamford to Fairfield. Some posters write it off as a quick "reverse commute" but others have said that 95 still gets trafficy going North. Does anyone drive North on 95 between these two areas who could give the definitive answer? Are we talking 20-25 minutes or 40 minutes? Also, if anyone knows of a good 1-bed near dowtown for $2,000 available in the next week or two please let me know.
THANKS

Note: I will be working in Fairfield and am considering Stamford or SoNo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 05:49 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
The real problems on I-95 are southbound in the morning and northbound in the evening. With no traffic the travel time between Stamford and Fairfield is 20-25 minutes. commuting during rush hour adds time no matter whic way you are going just because it takes extra time to get through the local streets which still have rush hour traffic no matter which way your commute is. Because you will be going against traffic the added time it would take to travel I-95 is minimal, but there will be mornins when even that direction will have problems, particularly if there is an accident and people are rubber-necking. I would generally allow 35 to 45 minutes for your commute. JMHO Jay

Old 07-08-2007, 11:44 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
I would go for SoNo if you will be traveling north in the morning for work. Most of the traffic problems on I-95 northbound are concentrated between Darien and South Norwalk. After that the traffic usually dissipates. There's more crime in SoNo, but in my opinion it's cheaper and cooler

Last edited by brattpowered; 07-08-2007 at 11:59 AM..

Old 07-08-2007, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,771 times
Red face It is never predictable.

If you need to travel I-95 at any time of the day it is always a gamble. Rush hour traffic is normally worse on the Southbound side, but can be iffy on the North also. Any accident, and they are frequent, can result in instant chaos on either side of the highway. Construction delays are frequent with lane closings in unpredictable fashion. Depending on your specific locations, you may consider the Merritt as an alternate. Don't forget the train as a possiblity. Look up the Metro North train schedule to see if it benefits you. I-95 is generally considered a highway to avoid and a gamble at almost any time of day.
Good luck

Old 07-09-2007, 09:06 AM

94 posts, read 419,477 times
I commuted from South Norwalk to Hartford for a few months. I think there's a bit of traffic between Stamford and South Norwalk, but I rarely hit traffic between South Norwalk and Fairfield. If you're worried about the commute, I'd considier looking in Norwalk.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,529 times
Thanks for everyone's reply! I ended up spending the day in Stamford and Norwalk looking for apts and also checked out the traffic on 95. It was only a one day sample but the traffic didn't seem too bad. I'm thinking it's like you guys said, not too bad, but accidents and road work will mess things up. I decided to rent in Stamford but I'll also look for back roads to fairfield when 95 is backed up.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:32 PM

71 posts, read 249,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs19087 View Post
Thanks for everyone's reply! I ended up spending the day in Stamford and Norwalk looking for apts and also checked out the traffic on 95. It was only a one day sample but the traffic didn't seem too bad. I'm thinking it's like you guys said, not too bad, but accidents and road work will mess things up. I decided to rent in Stamford but I'll also look for back roads to fairfield when 95 is backed up.
If you take Route 1 from Stamford it will bring you from town to town.

I live in Norwalk and travel down back roads from East Norwalk to Westport, then hit the main street and it takes you to Fairfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut