Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:43 PM

12 posts, read 77,495 times

Advertisements

Hello-- we are relocating to CT from London and we are considering Greenwich and Darien. I've heard that traffic in Greenwich, from midcountry (which is the area I'm interested in) to the metro north station, can be heavy. Is it true that it is about 20 minutes?

The train service to and from Grand Central to Greenwich (main station) is so much better and more frequent than in Darien, that it appeals a lot. Not to mention that driving time is, I assume, much better too.

Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 09:10 PM

758 posts, read 1,961,888 times
Greenwich is obviously a shorter commute with more frequencies. Greenwich generally also costs a bit more than Darien.

Greenwich is larger, more urban, more diverse, and a bit more tied to NYC.

Darien is very nice too, but doesn't really have the cosmpolitan feel of Greenwich. More of a quiet bedroom community.

I commuted from Old Greenwich to Manhattan for 3 years, and it was pretty easy.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:51 AM

Thank you Ohio248. That's all in line with my impressions of the two towns. I get the sense that I'd like Greenwich more, but I'll have to visit, and it's more expensive, as you say. I had heard that traffic to the station can be bad, from midcountry to Greenwich (not Old Greenwich). Do you know about that?
I really like the sound of Old Greenwich--but my husband wants a larger lot. We'll need to see it in person.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:21 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Greenwich generally also costs a bit more than Darien.
Nope, Darien is more expensive than Greenwich.....

Old 11-08-2010, 07:52 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Nope, Darien is more expensive than Greenwich.....
I think Greenwich has a wider range of housing options but I think comparable homes are about the same. Jay

Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londoner67 View Post
Thank you Ohio248. That's all in line with my impressions of the two towns. I get the sense that I'd like Greenwich more, but I'll have to visit, and it's more expensive, as you say. I had heard that traffic to the station can be bad, from midcountry to Greenwich (not Old Greenwich). Do you know about that?
I really like the sound of Old Greenwich--but my husband wants a larger lot. We'll need to see it in person.
Traffic from backcountry Greenwich is not bad (in fact, there isn't much traffic at all) but it can take a while to get to the central train station near Greenwich Ave. because the town is very large and the drive from right on the NY border to the train is about 20 minutes long. You would have to drive down quite a few winding back roads then sit at several traffic lights on the main roads to get there. However, the commute is definitely worth it. Greenwich is gorgeous in the backcountry and you get much more land for your money there than you would in central Greenwich or Darien. Also, as a resident of Greenwich you will have access to 2 beaches, 2 islands, a public pool, and a number of parks/facilities. Great place to live.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Thank you Kristin, that's a help. Do you live in backcountry? I was thinking central Greenwich/midcountry since my husband is going to make that trip every day. But if backcountry is 20 mins, then those would be 10-15, I'm guessing? What about schools? Deciding between public and private... In Darien I'd be more likely to go public, I think.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:39 PM

I don't live in backcountry (though I wish I did!) but I do live in Greenwich and know all of the different parts of town well. Deciding to live in central or backcountry Greenwich would be all about personal preference regarding the type of neighborhood you would like to live in. Central Greenwich is convenient for people who enjoy walking to shops/restaurants/parks/the train, but you would have to sacrifice square footage/acreage to live there. The backcountry is nice if you enjoy having sprawling land and a large house but neighbors tend to be far apart and you would have to drive to get to the nearest shopping district. There are several farms and stables in the backcountry; they really make the area feel quaint and "New England-y."

If you're considering all areas of Greenwich, please do not leave out Old Greenwich. Old Greenwich is much more family oriented than all other areas of town and it has it's own train station, beautiful park (Binney), and the town's largest and nicest beach (Tod's Point); it also has its own shopping district. However, like central Greenwich, Old Greenwich property prices are very high for small plots of land.

As for schools in Greenwich, the public elementary schools are ranked among the best in CT and you should never feel as though you need to send your kids to private school through grade 8. Unfortunately, like in most (if not all) other towns in the US, Greenwich High School has problems with kids doing drugs and drinking before coming to class. If you're a vigilant parent and know your children's friends and families, this shouldn't be a problem. However, if you like to be a little more lax with your children it may be better to send them to a private high school.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:13 PM

Thank you so much! This is really helpful information. I know backcountry is beautiful, from some drives we took there many years ago, but I think it's just too isolated. My dream house would be on an acre somewhere central/midcountry, but not sure we can afford that. I think I would like OG too because I'd really like a community feeling. Darien, in that case, has some neighborhoods that fit the bill, plus more land, but I want to try, at least, to find something in Greenwich. I was going to go ahead and apply for the privates (elementary aged child) but another option is to stay in public until high school. Too many decisions and variables, I know! Thanks again.

Oh, one more thing... just to confirm-- midcountry to the train station-- about 15 mins drive? How is parking?

Old 11-08-2010, 01:28 PM

There really isn't a midcountry, but the first streets in backcountry and the last streets in central Greenwich are probably a 10-15 minute drive away from the station. Parking at the central Greenwich train station isn't a problem; the parking lot is humongous and it's never filled unless there is an event going on (flea market, car show at the park across the street, or Bruce Museum event.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut