Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 02:32 PM

12 posts, read 77,204 times

Advertisements

Oh, good to know, thanks! So I guess I mean south of Merritt Parkway.... Any school opinions? I'm wondering if we should apply now, or wait a few years, but I'd love a Greenwich residents takes on Greenwich Academy and Greenwich Country Day (or others), even if it's just broad stereotypes. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 02:48 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,437,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londoner67 View Post
Oh, good to know, thanks! So I guess I mean south of Merritt Parkway.... Any school opinions? I'm wondering if we should apply now, or wait a few years, but I'd love a Greenwich residents takes on Greenwich Academy and Greenwich Country Day (or others), even if it's just broad stereotypes. Thanks so much.
I don't have any children so I don't know how the elementary schools stack up against each other. Although it's hard to go by little details, I knew a girl 3 years ago who attended Greenwich Academy and she was very nice, family oriented (always checked with her parents about everything), and played a few sports. Quite a few cars around town have Greenwich Academy stickers. From my perspective, it appears that Greenwich Academy is the trendy school to send one's child to.

Greenwich Country Day School has a "quieter" vibe but is reknowned. (I did a quick search and George H.W. Bush & Ron Howard's daughter went there.) My general impression (partially based on the fact that I've never known any kids who have gone there or any parents who sent there kids there) is that it is more exclusive than other schools in the area.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:27 AM

Well, I want a great school but a relaxed environment and friendly. I guess I'll have to visit and see. Public may be a better option, but I hear the Greenwich privates are very impressive. Thank you Kristin.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:19 PM

588 posts, read 1,313,836 times
The commute to the train from midcountry is shorter than backcountry (midcountry is generally the areas off of Stanwich, North St, Lake Ave and Round Hill Rd BEFORE the Merritt if you're coming from the Post Rd/downtown Greenwich; backcountry is the area north of the Merritt. Driving from mid-country will take you 10-15 min the the train; backcountry can be anywhere from 15-25 min. If you're way up near the Westchester country airport off of King St, you'd probably be closer to the Port Chester train station.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:02 AM

Thanks for posting this, jax12479. Ideally we'd live 10-15 mins from the train, if we can afford something around there. I guess that puts a metro north commute pretty close to what it would be in Darien living 5 minutes from the train, except that there are more trains from Greenwich, and then if we want to drive it's certainly closer.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:13 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,437,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
The commute to the train from midcountry is shorter than backcountry (midcountry is generally the areas off of Stanwich, North St, Lake Ave and Round Hill Rd BEFORE the Merritt if you're coming from the Post Rd/downtown Greenwich; backcountry is the area north of the Merritt. Driving from mid-country will take you 10-15 min the the train; backcountry can be anywhere from 15-25 min. If you're way up near the Westchester country airport off of King St, you'd probably be closer to the Port Chester train station.
The area that Jax is identifying as midcountry is incredibly expensive--you will pay substantially more for property around North St. and Stanwich Rd. than you would for property near the NY border (beyond the Merritt). However, from what you said you are looking for, it may make more sense to live in the very expensive "midcountry" area or moderately expensive central Greenwich area rather than the relatively moderately priced backcountry. Your budget may dictate where you will eventually buy if you are dedicated to moving to Greenwich.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:55 AM

588 posts, read 1,313,836 times
Very true, mid-country is more desireable and therefore more expensive than backcountry. However if budget is not a concern and you want land/privacy, you can't beat the Round Hill Rd area south of the Merritt.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:17 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,615,694 times
Anyone knows of the parking situation for metro north to NYC in the greenwich station near arch street? Is there a yearly pass available without a 10 year waiting list?

Equinox has opened a new super-duper gym near the station and I am thinking I can save tons of commute and merciless evening driving time if I park there, work out early in the am and then hit the train. It would be so freaking easy.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:12 AM

83,299 posts, read 74,586,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Anyone knows of the parking situation for metro north to NYC in the greenwich station near arch street? Is there a yearly pass available without a 10 year waiting list?

Equinox has opened a new super-duper gym near the station and I am thinking I can save tons of commute and merciless evening driving time if I park there, work out early in the am and then hit the train. It would be so freaking easy.
Why are these old threads coming back? Are you searching for something in particular?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 AM

21,500 posts, read 27,753,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think Greenwich has a wider range of housing options but I think comparable homes are about the same. Jay
Correct. If not a tad more expensive in Greenwich.

Darien actually gets really congested on Route 1 near the train station. Greenwich isn't that bad, and has 4 stations to choose from (which is overkill and slows down the trains IMO, but that's besides the point).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut