Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:29 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyfromMA View Post
After two days on the job I was let go.
I think you have much bigger fish to fry than money owed to you. You weren't a good fit after only 2 days?

Very strange....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 12:33 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I think you have much bigger fish to fry than money owed to you. You weren't a good fit after only 2 days?

Very strange....
I wouldn't rush to judgment, perhaps it had nothing to do with him. You don't know, the company could have lost a contract, mistakenly hired out of optimism...you just don't know.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:08 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Interviews mean nothing.. for me interviews are a way to BS through into a job. I need to see results, quality, honesty, and loyalty. I dont tolerate lateness. So while I find it suprising they let him go after 2 days, I really dont find it all that abnormal... What's im asking myself is why not give him a week? I think there's a few more details we're not hearing.

Whats also strange is that he's willing to hire an attorney for 2 days pay.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:41 PM

293 posts, read 782,119 times
I was willing to hire an attorney because I felt like I was being treated unfairly.

I was let go after two days via email, with zero indication from anyone that my performance or "fit" wasn't up to par.

Then I provided my employer with some items to improve efficiency in the department I worked in and received a response that indicated the employer saw value in what I had to offer and may have another position that would fit my best attributes.

Then there's a week-long lull where I here nothing back and when I do I'm told my pay is going to be based on actual hours worked and not salary.

From my research, if my employer is in violation of the law and I win a case (although I'd expect most cases wind up being settled outside of court) I'd be entitled to 2x damages, court costs and reasonable attornies fees.

In the event that my job shadowing on the previous week could be considered AND I was entitled to full weekly salary regardless of actual hours worked, then I'd have two weeks of pay x2 plus court costs, etc.

I heard back from the CT Division of Labor and they stated:

[SIZE=2]If you were a salary exempt employee, your employer can pro-rate your first week of pay and your last week of pay. Further questions can be addressed to the Wage Division at (860) 263-6790.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
I picked up my check today and it was for around $400 less than what I had been expecting (when I anticipated a full weeks pay). So obviously that was not something I was thrilled about.

In addition, my employer only paid me for 16 hours (according to the memo field on the check) rather than the 6 hours shadowing (not my idea, I was asked to come in for this) plus 8.5 hours and 9 hours spent the following week.

On top of that, there was only a check in an envelope, nothing indicating what my hourly rate of pay was nor what deductions were made. So now I have to go and request they provide disclosure of this information as well as a check for the hours not paid.

Also, I certainly understand that with a 2-day period before I was let go it doesn't reflect well upon me from an outsiders pov. In my defense, my previous employment (in similar fields) has been with companies I remained with for 5 and 7 years respectively. I've never experienced anything like this situation before, and was really caught off guard when I was let go.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:46 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
I was willing to hire an attorney because I felt like I was being treated unfairly.

I was let go after two days via email, with zero indication from anyone that my performance or "fit" wasn't up to par.

Then I provided my employer with some items to improve efficiency in the department I worked in and received a response that indicated the employer saw value in what I had to offer and may have another position that would fit my best attributes.

Then there's a week-long lull where I here nothing back and when I do I'm told my pay is going to be based on actual hours worked and not salary.

From my research, if my employer is in violation of the law and I win a case (although I'd expect most cases wind up being settled outside of court) I'd be entitled to 2x damages, court costs and reasonable attornies fees.

In the event that my job shadowing on the previous week could be considered AND I was entitled to full weekly salary regardless of actual hours worked, then I'd have two weeks of pay x2 plus court costs, etc.

I heard back from the CT Division of Labor and they stated:

[SIZE=2]If you were a salary exempt employee, your employer can pro-rate your first week of pay and your last week of pay. Further questions can be addressed to the Wage Division at (860) 263-6790.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
I picked up my check today and it was for around $400 less than what I had been expecting (when I anticipated a full weeks pay). So obviously that was not something I was thrilled about.

In addition, my employer only paid me for 16 hours (according to the memo field on the check) rather than the 6 hours shadowing (not my idea, I was asked to come in for this) plus 8.5 hours and 9 hours spent the following week.

On top of that, there was only a check in an envelope, nothing indicating what my hourly rate of pay was nor what deductions were made. So now I have to go and request they provide disclosure of this information as well as a check for the hours not paid.

Also, I certainly understand that with a 2-day period before I was let go it doesn't reflect well upon me from an outsiders pov. In my defense, my previous employment (in similar fields) has been with companies I remained with for 5 and 7 years respectively. I've never experienced anything like this situation before, and was really caught off guard when I was let go.
I honestly feel bad that you have to explain yourself to people here who didn't contribute a thing in return to help you out.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:55 PM

293 posts, read 782,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I honestly feel bad that you have to explain yourself to people here who didn't contribute a thing in return to help you out.

Well, the guy (or girl) had a valid point,

Last edited by JayCT; 11-13-2010 at 08:41 PM..

Old 11-12-2010, 04:59 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Actually, I have some experience in this, here's what I know:

You are right that as a salaried employee they cannot suddenly pay you hourly for the time you worked before you were let go.

However, they can pro-rate it based on DAYS worked over the course of a week, I believe it assumes a 5 day workweek, not 7. While they would pay you the same salary if you actually worked 7 days that week; the way you are "docked" if you had an unpaid day of work (i.e. you did not work that day and you did not have paid vacation or personal days to cover it) is to lose 1/5 of your weekly salary (or put another way, if you worked only 1 day that week, you get 1/5 of your weekly salary).

So what I believe you are entitled to since you worked 2 days is 2/5 (or 40%) of your weekly pay. I may be wrong and it may be based on 7 days and be 2/7 (or about 28%) of your weekly pay. That may actually be less than the hours you worked times what they consider your "hourly" pay though, so you might not be as "ripped off" as you think.

My basis is a case at my old employer someone had with the "partial day" rule regarding salaries. She was going through a difficult pregnancy and was often taking partial days off to go to the doctor, etc. while often working 12 hours/day when she wasn't doing this. They would take "partial vacation days" off her bank of paid days (i.e. if she was out 4 hours, she'd lose 1/2 vacation day, this was true even if she worked 8 hours that day but the 4 hours occurred during 9-5 (i.e. she comes in at 1 but works until 9). She argued that salaried employees can't be penalized for paid time off and went to court over it.

Turned out she was somewhat right and somewhat wrong. If your employer gives a bank of vacation and/or personal days, they CAN dock partial days off from them, but if you use them up, they cannot dock you pay for partial days. The court said you can only dock pay on a salaried employee for full days not at work. They did dock her partial days when she used up her "vacation days", so she did "win" that.

Good luck, and I strongly advise you post this in the "Work and Employment" cross-forum, where you may get more people who answer this and will be seen from people beyond CT and environs.

PS This is one reason I think "salaried" is a bit of a crock; too easy to "work employees for free" so to speak but also too vague for the employer; I mean I don't think someone who shows up for 30 minutes should be paid for a full day's work either.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:59 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,715 times
Quote:
Well, the guy (or girl) had a valid point,
So what industry do you work in? I am curious who interviews and hires on the spot without checking references in this day and age? And then, you found another job in a week that you are willing to relocate for?

Last edited by JayCT; 11-13-2010 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: Removed response to flame

Old 11-13-2010, 05:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
I was recruited through a headhunter to a position in an acquisitions broker's office. I went through two interviews; one with the office manager, one with the CEO. They seemed excited to see me start that following Monday, and insisted I start right away even though I had a part time job and would have preferred to give at least -some- notice to them.

So I had to give only 2 days notice, because I was hired on a Friday and expected to work the following Monday. I went in to my first day at work, they showed me around, had me do a little filing, filling out the usual tax forms and what not.

Tuesday I went in, got started, and was fired Tuesday at the end of the work day. I was told it just wasn't a good fit. I called the headhunter for feedback and to let them know I was dismissed from the job. He said they would only tell him that my personality wasn't the right fit for the company, that I hadn't done anything wrong.

Unfortunately because I didn't give notice to my part time job, they wouldn't let me return to that job. So I ended up unemployed for the next six months. While I was unemployed, I had the privilege of watching that CEO get raked over the coals for providing the governor of our state with a summer home in Florida, in exchange for political "favors." I'm pretty sure the *real* reason I was fired, was because one of the things in the pile of "to be filed" things, was a bill of sale for one of the original signed copies of the Bill of Rights. Which - I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to see.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:43 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
." I'm pretty sure the *real* reason I was fired, was because one of the things in the pile of "to be filed" things, was a bill of sale for one of the original signed copies of the Bill of Rights. Which - I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to see.
Very interesting and makes sense...maybe the OP saw something or asked a question that he wasn't supposed to... Interesting post...very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut