Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:13 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,639,523 times

Advertisements

So, Connecticut it is

How accepting is CT to pit bulls?
My living situation has a new twist now. My fiancee has a pit bull mix and she will move in with me later, possibly in early to mid 2011.

I've been asking advertisers on craigslist and some of them shy away from the dog. However, one person today said he was okay with it and I'm waiting for him to let me take a look at his place in Greenwich.

If it goes haywire, I am hoping to find someone who will allow the dog. We have plans of buying a house which will solve the problem in the future. But it's not an option in the immediate future, owing to planning logistics, my new job situation and the real estate bubble. I find it encouraging some people are receptive of a pit in CT, as opposed to increased restrictions in NY state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 05:28 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,852,206 times
It just depends on the landlord. Some don't like dogs at all. Many people here, especially in wealthier areas such as Greenwich, have a deep-seated fear of pits. Be aware of when you buy a home though, some insurance companies will ask you what breed of dog you have---I've heard stories of some companies refusing homeowners insurance to homeowners with an "aggressive" breed of dog. That might apply to rental insurance, too.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:36 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,910,356 times
Most "pit bull mixes" that I know of are listed as "Lab mixes," both on their town registration and vet records. Just sayin'.

PS. Pitties get such a bum rap. I've never met one that's been anything but sweet. My Lab mix (seriously; he's Lab/Beagle/Corgi) is a monster and doesn't have a bit of Pit in him.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:49 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,389,853 times
Believe it or not, my insurance company considers three breeds for jacking up homeowners insurance rates: Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Shih Tzus. No joke. I laughed w/my agent about the Shih Tzus since they are tiny dogs but she said they have high rates of biting leading to claims. Interesting!

Most places I have rented have had more an issue with dog size not breed (e.g. no dog over 50 lbs.). Once I found a landlord who would take a big dog they weren't concerned about the breed (from my experience). This is probably because landlords who are OK with big dogs are either dog people or well informed regarding dogs.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:36 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,475,525 times
Like previously posted, it's very much up to the landlord in regard to dogs period. I've had pits on and off most my life and have been lucky enough to have no problems so far. If you encounter a hesitant landlord it may help you if you can prove to them that you have yours covered under your renter's insurance. I made sure I did that on my last policy with my pit/lab mix. My insurance company actually groups over a dozen breeds together in the "agressive dog" catergory.

Unfortunately in my experience once there is "pit" anywhere on any adoption/vet records your stuck with that "stigma" no matter what they actually mix may be. Mine was listed a s a "pit" by the adoption agency even though she seems much more "lab". 99% of people that meet her aren't sure of what breed she may be and are usually shocked when I tell them pit/lab mix. I regularly get stopped by everyone, including 80+yo ladies so they can gush about what a gorgeous dog she is.

Also let me just say quickly, if anyone is thinking about a dog, please adopt. There are so many wonderful dogs in need of a home and I personally can't stand for supporting breeding more, except maybe for that very small percentage that may actually show their dogs when there are so many other dogs without a home and loving owners that deserve it.

Best of luck to you..

Old 11-16-2010, 08:39 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,475,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Believe it or not, my insurance company considers three breeds for jacking up homeowners insurance rates: Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Shih Tzus. No joke. I laughed w/my agent about the Shih Tzus since they are tiny dogs but she said they have high rates of biting leading to claims. Interesting!

Most places I have rented have had more an issue with dog size not breed (e.g. no dog over 50 lbs.). Once I found a landlord who would take a big dog they weren't concerned about the breed (from my experience). This is probably because landlords who are OK with big dogs are either dog people or well informed regarding dogs.

+1... My mother's pack is a good example.. She always has a few dogs. Including for awhile now a pit and rotwieller. But the lil terror that runs the house is a miniature dachshund. He is the only one to ever bite anyone also.. The poor oil delivery guy.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 AM

588 posts, read 1,315,277 times
"Many people here, especially in wealthier areas such as Greenwich, have a deep-seated fear of pits."

This is an odd thing to say, I haven't found that to be true at all.... true, you'll see a lot more Labs in Greenwich, but I had friends who had Pits, Rotties & German Shepherds. The key is to have a completely fenced in yard. Anyway, it completely depends on the owner/landlord whether or not they'll take your dog. When you're renting, you're at their mercy and a lot of people have 'no dog' or 'no pet' policies because they don't want to deal with scratched floors, stains, etc. As far as I know, CT does not ban any breeds, but if your dog has a bite on his record, that could be a major problem when looking for a rental.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:07 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,832,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Believe it or not, my insurance company considers three breeds for jacking up homeowners insurance rates: Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Shih Tzus.
We pay more for our German Shepherd with our insurance company.

Here's an article in todays paper about a pit bull attack in todays CT Post:

Police say vicious pit bull remains on the lam, is considered dangerous - Connecticut Post

Old 11-16-2010, 12:24 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,852,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
"Many people here, especially in wealthier areas such as Greenwich, have a deep-seated fear of pits."

This is an odd thing to say, I haven't found that to be true at all....
That was my experience when I lived in Greenwich/New Canaan/etc. I just didn't see many people with pits, none in fact. Some people I know in those areas are afraid of shelter dogs altogether. We most definitely know different people.

There was actually a thread about Judge Judy recently in the Dogs forum, she lives in Greenwich and was apparently using her show to tell people how dangerous pits are. Besides myself, someone from that general area posted in agreement with me.

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...udge-judy.html

Old 11-16-2010, 12:47 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,389,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
TSome people I know in those areas are afraid of shelter dogs altogether.
That speaks volumes about the company you keep, and not in a positive way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut