Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:45 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
If we aren't going to legalize them, why do we want to pay for their secondary education?
I've been asking myself the same question. I guess maybe a bachelors degree will give them an edge on getting that landscaping/food prep/housekeeping job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 06:49 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I've been asking myself the same question. I guess maybe a bachelors degree will give them an edge on getting that landscaping/food prep/housekeeping job?
This is designed to go hand-in-hand with the dream act: DREAM Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So they'd be legal here and able to compete with us for OUR jobs! The horror. But luckily, if the 10 million illegal round-up occurs, as some around here seem to support, there will be plenty of jobs picking raspberries for the rest of us.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:09 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
"It's fine to be proud of your citizenship, but it does not imply things that are not laid down in the law, nor does it make you superior to a non-citizen except perhaps in your own mind."

Interesting how people with absolutely no regard for our laws get to use them in their defense whenever it serves them. Superiority has nothing to do with it - they are leeches - they suck governments dry and contribute little. Sure, your apples are cheaper, but factor in everything they get for free and do the math...we're ALREADY paying $4.50 a pound for apples.

"So they'd be legal here and able to compete with us for OUR jobs! The horror. "

I must have missed the headline where the double digit unemployment in this country somehow disappeared. We don't have jobs for the skilled citizens that we already HAVE...remind me again why we need more? Humanitarian reasons? Guess what...there are an awful lot of people in Rwanda and Darfur that have it a heck of a lot worse than Cubans and Mexicans, but they don't have the liberty of jumping on a raft or in the back of a truck. Funny when you think about it - everyone collecting unemployment in this country has taxes taken out of their checks to pay to educate illegal aliens so that they can take their non-existent jobs? Ahhh, liberalism at it's best!

Until our country starts enforcing our immigration laws, or our standard of living is no better than theirs, they will not stop coming.

I lived in California for 20 years until recently and if you saw what illegals did to that once beautiful state, you'd start planting your own fruit and vegetables.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Ok, a few things. The word "illegal" came up and people got emotional. Let's take a step back shall we?

-These are 18 and 17 year old kids. Kids fgs. These aren't masterminds trying to game "the system." They in all likelihood here because their parents brought them along here.
-To get this grant, they don't just have to be undocumented students. They need to be exceptionally high students. There is no way around this without them being proficient, if not fluent, in English.
-They would be taking a risk just to get apply for the monies.
-All of this: speaking and reading English well, high marks, and drive indicates that these kids have been here a long time and they know no other home.
-On top of all of this: they would need to go through the same process every other student has to to in order to get accepted at these institutions. I didn't see anywhere that they'd get a "speed to the front of the line pass" like at Lake Compounce.

The State of Connecticut is to thank for my education. And likely many on these boards. Even if you didn't go to any of the state schools for higher education their presence keeps the private universities prices lower and keep them competitive. Why not give a couple more an opportunity of a lifetime, and give those that might not see a future a goal to strive for?

~Cheers

Old 11-19-2010, 09:40 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
How is treating them the same way we treat every other Connecticut high school graduate giving them "special" treatment?
Because they are not like every other high school graduate! They are illegal. Most did not pay for their public education. Most don't pay for their healthcare. Most don't pay car insurance or properly register their vehicles. THEY ARE NOT CITIZENS OF THE USA!

Doh!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,946 times
do any of you who are for letting illegals get a tuition break and/or pay in-state tuition realize what illegals cost the states. I retired after 20 yrs of working in a welfare office in AZ and illegals are a huge drain on the states. Almost every illegal family with at least one anchor baby is eligible for Food stamps, medical and cash assistance for that baby and in AZ at least none of the illegal parents income is counted. Most of the parents work under the table and don't pay any taxes. They use ssn's and Id's that they purchase or use their childs ssn. The pregnant mothers are not eligible for pre natal care but are eligible for federal emergency services in any hospital ER and as soon as the mother goes into labor all the hospital and doctors expenses for her and the baby are paid by taxpayers, the nb gets free medical for one year regardless of income etc. I had to pay for all my medical expenses without any help from anyone. My granddaughter can't get any tuition help to go to college because her dad makes a little too much money and he is a single parent. Somehow I don't think this is fair. WHAT PART OF ILLEGAL DO YOU PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND? The constitution does not say that babies born to illegals are automatically citizens. As far as I'm concerned send them all back to the country they came from and close our border. Because of illegals moving into my neighborhood in AZ my house went from being worth 200,000.00 down to 80,000 in just 4 yrs. I am now living back in CT where I was born and I see it isn't much different here. Ct appears to need it's own Jan Brewer and Sheriff Joe. I can just imagine all the nasty replies I will get over this post.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:13 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnyder48 View Post
do any of you who are for letting illegals get a tuition break and/or pay in-state tuition realize what illegals cost the states. I retired after 20 yrs of working in a welfare office in AZ and illegals are a huge drain on the states. Almost every illegal family with at least one anchor baby is eligible for Food stamps, medical and cash assistance for that baby and in AZ at least none of the illegal parents income is counted. Most of the parents work under the table and don't pay any taxes. They use ssn's and Id's that they purchase or use their childs ssn. The pregnant mothers are not eligible for pre natal care but are eligible for federal emergency services in any hospital ER and as soon as the mother goes into labor all the hospital and doctors expenses for her and the baby are paid by taxpayers, the nb gets free medical for one year regardless of income etc. I had to pay for all my medical expenses without any help from anyone. My granddaughter can't get any tuition help to go to college because her dad makes a little too much money and he is a single parent. Somehow I don't think this is fair. WHAT PART OF ILLEGAL DO YOU PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND? The constitution does not say that babies born to illegals are automatically citizens. As far as I'm concerned send them all back to the country they came from and close our border. Because of illegals moving into my neighborhood in AZ my house went from being worth 200,000.00 down to 80,000 in just 4 yrs. I am now living back in CT where I was born and I see it isn't much different here. Ct appears to need it's own Jan Brewer and Sheriff Joe. I can just imagine all the nasty replies I will get over this post.
Thank you! FINALLY someone who gets it!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:29 PM

438 posts, read 1,196,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnyder48 View Post
The constitution does not say that babies born to illegals are automatically citizens.
The Fourteenth Amendment would like to have a word with you...

Old 11-19-2010, 10:36 PM

The constitution states that anyone born in the US to someone who is under the Jurisdiction of the US is a citizen at birth. Illegals are NOT under the Jurisdiction of the US. The law was put into effect so that children of slaves could not

Old 11-19-2010, 10:40 PM

sorry hit the wrong button. children of slaves could not be sent back to Africa. I was later changed to read differently by the courts who put their own spin on it. This fact is clearly documented in an email I received from Senator Russell Pearce of Az. Its too late tonight to post
the whole letter here but I will do so tomorrow night and anyone who is interest can read it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut