Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:52 PM

12 posts, read 24,651 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 22 year old male and I will be relocating to Connecticut for my job. I will be working for GE in Plainville, CT. I will be moving to the area not knowing anyone and it will be very difficult for me to figure out where to live. I do not mind a 15-20 minute commute although I have a BMW 325i that does not do well in snow.

I am single and I am looking to make new friends, go out to bars, etc. I am a pretty relaxed guy that likes to have fun.

It is very important to me to have a clean/safe place to live seeing as I will spend a lot of my time in my apartment alone, I want to be comfortable.

I have researched a ton and I cannot make a decision.

I heard West Hartford would be a great place to live but I am still open for suggestions.

I have researched Brooksyde Apartments, West Wood Apartments, Clemons Place, and a couple others but I cannot make a decision due to all of the negative feedback these places get on the web. Are these places safe?

All I need is a nice/cozy 1 bedroom apartment. I would like to spend around $900/month for rent.

Any feedback would be great. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 06:03 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I can't comment on any of those apartments but I can say that West Hartford is probably a good place for a single guy (I say this even though I'm an old married chick).

The thing is, though, to commute to Plainville, you'll want to make sure that whatever apartment you choose is close to the highway (84) so that you'll have a clear shot to get to work. The last thing you'll want, especially with a car that's not great in the snow, is having to navigate a lot of residential roads to get to the highway.

I wish that I had more information for you (or suggestions on other towns; although I like West Hartford a lot), but I'm sure others will chime in shortly.

Whatever you decide, congratulations on your new job.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:26 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANES View Post
Hello,

I am a 22 year old male and I will be relocating to Connecticut for my job. I will be working for GE in Plainville, CT. I will be moving to the area not knowing anyone and it will be very difficult for me to figure out where to live. I do not mind a 15-20 minute commute although I have a BMW 325i that does not do well in snow.

I am single and I am looking to make new friends, go out to bars, etc. I am a pretty relaxed guy that likes to have fun.

It is very important to me to have a clean/safe place to live seeing as I will spend a lot of my time in my apartment alone, I want to be comfortable.

I have researched a ton and I cannot make a decision.

I heard West Hartford would be a great place to live but I am still open for suggestions.

I have researched Brooksyde Apartments, West Wood Apartments, Clemons Place, and a couple others but I cannot make a decision due to all of the negative feedback these places get on the web. Are these places safe?

All I need is a nice/cozy 1 bedroom apartment. I would like to spend around $900/month for rent.

Any feedback would be great. Thank you so much!
West Hartford to Plainville GE is about a 20 minute commute give or take a few minutes. You'll also be going against traffic which is a good thing.

The apartments you mentioned are closer to the Hartford line and older, not totally bad, just know what they are. If you want to live "in" the action and be able to walk to it, West Hartford center is more where you want to be. If you don't mind a 5-10 minute drive into the action, you'll expand your options quite a bit.

You'll probably do better looking for a private rental as we have much more of those type places in CT. Private owners of condo's rent them out and/or a private owner may have a quad or duplex and rent the units. Craigs list, or even contacting a local realtor is a good shot. If you want some peace and quiet and again, don't mind a 5-10 minute drive into the action, Farmington has options and will be even closer to work for you.

What I've done in the past before comitting to a new area was stay at an extended stay hotel like Homewood Suites for 2-4 weeks and get to know the area before signing a lease. It's just so hard online to figure where you will ultimately want to be.

As for the snow, trust me BMW's abound up here and in Germany where it snows too. What you need is a good set of performance snow tires like Blizzacks or Nokian tires and you won't believe how good your car is in the snow. It's all about the tire. And don't think you are moving to the great arctic. We don't have snow on the ground 8 months a year regardless what you read and/or hear. It's been in the mid/high 50's all month so far and any significant snowfall usually doesn't happen till the end of Dec. Even then the roads get cleared quickly.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:56 AM

Thank you both for your feedback, it all helps!

I have looked at private rentals but I feel like it may be better if I live in a complex where there is a better chance of finding someone my own age? I don't know, I just want everyone's opinions!

I feel that Brooksyde Apartments may be the best choice seeing as it is closest to the center of West Hartford. Anyone know anything about these apartments?

I am just mostly skeptical because all of the ratings on the web are negative and speak of break ins. The most important thing to me is to not have to worry about anyone breaking in my car or apartment. Would Brooksyde Apartments be a good place to live?

If not, is there any suggestions?

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP! It is hard to move somewhere where you do not know anyone. Thank you!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:56 AM

856 posts, read 2,014,357 times
Ditto on the better tires...also if you're worried about snow find an empty parking lot on your first snowy day and get used to that RWD car in the snow. With a car like that you may want to look into the skip barber programs that run at Lime Rock Park in lakeville, ct it'll also help you meet some people. If turning into the skid seems confusing...just turn the wheel in the direction the car is sliding...fishtailing...remember steer...stay off the brake.

You said you'd like to go to bars but is living near them important or is living near work more important?

I would stay in the plainville/farmington area (steer clear of the plainville side that borders new britain) and then go into hartford/west hartford when you want to go to bars. Not to mention plainville has J Timothy's (good wings & burgers, taverne setting) and Sliders (also good wings, more sports bar setting). Route 10 aka queen street has a lot of side streets with 2-3 family homes. If you want some yard space or plan to maybe get a dog I would look for one of those kind of rentals over the large rental communities. Not to mention plainville is a sprawling city so you have big box stores whereas west hartford has more boutique type places.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobinJ View Post
Ditto on the better tires...also if you're worried about snow find an empty parking lot on your first snowy day and get used to that RWD car in the snow. With a car like that you may want to look into the skip barber programs that run at Lime Rock Park in lakeville, ct it'll also help you meet some people. If turning into the skid seems confusing...just turn the wheel in the direction the car is sliding...fishtailing...remember steer...stay off the brake.

You said you'd like to go to bars but is living near them important or is living near work more important?

I would stay in the plainville/farmington area (steer clear of the plainville side that borders new britain) and then go into hartford/west hartford when you want to go to bars. Not to mention plainville has J Timothy's (good wings & burgers, taverne setting) and Sliders (also good wings, more sports bar setting). Route 10 aka queen street has a lot of side streets with 2-3 family homes. If you want some yard space or plan to maybe get a dog I would look for one of those kind of rentals over the large rental communities. Not to mention plainville is a sprawling city so you have big box stores whereas west hartford has more boutique type places.
Mmmmm. J. Timothy's. Now I'm hungry... again.

Personally, for me, I'd rather live close to work, seeing as you're traveling to and from work five times per week. I'd rather travel 15 minutes for entertainment (when there's no traffic) than travel 30 minutes to work (when there is traffic). And another 30 minutes back home.

Just realize that Plainville and West Harford are two very distinct vibes -- as far as restaurants, bars, shopping, people, everything... very much akin to the blue collar vs. white collar thing, for lack of a better explanation.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:25 AM

Actually, after speaking to Brooksyde Apartments, they wouldn't be able to move me in by the date/price I needed so back to the drawing boards.

Anyone know anything about Westwood Apartments off of Kane St.? It is very close to the interstate, but it is also close to the older part of town from what I understand. Would I be alright there? Or should I continue looking for a private rental? I found a private rental off of S Main St. but again, I do not know if that is a nice area.

Again, all help is appreciated!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Actually, after speaking to Brooksyde Apartments, they wouldn't be able to move me in by the date/price I needed so back to the drawing boards.

Anyone know anything about Westwood Apartments off of Kane St.? It is very close to the interstate, but it is also close to the older part of town from what I understand. Would I be alright there? Or should I continue looking for a private rental? I found a private rental off of S Main St. but again, I do not know if that is a nice area.

Again, all help is appreciated!
I know that someone else who posts here lived ON Kane St. Hopefully he'll be around soon and can give you more insight.

What street is the private rental on? Main is a fairly long street but MANY streets off of it -- including Main St. itself -- are nice.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I know that someone else who posts here lived ON Kane St. Hopefully he'll be around soon and can give you more insight.

What street is the private rental on? Main is a fairly long street but MANY streets off of it -- including Main St. itself -- are nice.
The private rental is on S. Main St. and Boulevard, just a block or 2 south of Farmington Rd.

Here is the link: Large 1 BR (720 square feet) Apartment Minutes From Blue Back Square (http://hartford.craigslist.org/apa/2068816137.html - broken link)

Thanks for your help!

As far as West Hartford goes, I only have these 2 choices left.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
The private rental is on S. Main St. and Boulevard, just a block or 2 south of Farmington Rd.

Here is the link: Large 1 BR (720 square feet) Apartment Minutes From Blue Back Square (http://hartford.craigslist.org/apa/2068816137.html - broken link)

Thanks for your help!

As far as West Hartford goes, I only have these 2 choices left.
Air conditioning? A dishwasher? Brand new carpeting? 24-hour emergency maintenance? Only a few minutes to BlueBack Square, West Hartford Center, and I84?

In *my* opinion -- and I don't want to sway you -- it sounds pretty terrific.

The location is good.

Any chance of you being able to check it out before signing the lease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut