Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:09 PM

9 posts, read 17,415 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to move to W Hartford area from Scottsdale AZ in the next few months. My husband has been working there since Nov 1 2010. We were there in the Simsbury/Avon/W Hartford area for a week in mid October and it was beautiful!
Anyone have thoughts on the better place to live? We have an 11 year old son still at home who plays travel soccer and travel basketball and Little League.... Looks like all three have good public schools, anything else we should know?? I know taxes are outrageous, but everyone from Simsbury highly recommends Simsbury.
I did see a beautiful old home in W Hartford but was advised that it was too close to Hartford itself to be safe. What are the differences in owning a home and living in Simsbury and/or Avon, besides taxes and that Simsbury has a town center, and Avon doesn't? Thanks!

Last edited by miasfolkart; 11-23-2010 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: eta: we like to be around city life, but love the country as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 04:24 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
All the towns that make up Farmington Valley are really nice and have top-notch schools. IMO Simsbury is the nicest - unlike Avon they're serious about preserving open space, and even though it's grown in the last few years Simsbury still has tons of open space - the town has bought thousands of acres to prevent it from being built on. They also have a little downtown area on Hopmeadow Street that has lots of restaurants, stores, banks, the library, etc. But even this area is pretty subdued - it's really nice but it's not considered THE place to go for nightlife and that's the way people there want it, they don't want it to be crowded with people and cars.

Avon is probably regarded as the most prestigious, but IMO it has the least charm since it's the town that's gotten (over)built in the last 15-20 years. Personally I don't care for it but that's strictly my opinon.

Side note, I had to laugh at that comment that you should avoid looking at the WH house because it's too close to Hartford. I'm willing to bet this came from someone who doesn't even live in town. Most outsiders will tell you that if you're close to the city line to stay north of FarmingtonAve - leaving out the fact that there are many streets close to Hartford south of this road that are beautiful and safe (South Highland St, Lexington Rd, Beverly Rd, Whiting Lane, etc). Is the area busier and more diverse? Yes, but you shouldn't be scared to move there. You should at least go there and see for yourself.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:47 PM

Thanks! Yes, the person who advised me to be careful in W Hartford is from Simsbury. I saw a nice house on Prospect, 1139, I think, and a few more - around Steele Road and east of that.....but not sure... we like both old houses that have been tastefully remodeled, and new ones. I like the idea of being able to walk to town and to shopping areas. BUT I also like some of the places we saw in Simsbury.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:27 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasfolkart View Post
Thanks! Yes, the person who advised me to be careful in W Hartford is from Simsbury. I saw a nice house on Prospect, 1139, I think, and a few more - around Steele Road and east of that.....but not sure... we like both old houses that have been tastefully remodeled, and new ones. I like the idea of being able to walk to town and to shopping areas. BUT I also like some of the places we saw in Simsbury.
That's what I thought. That house you mentioned on Prospect Ave? Yeah, it's a stone throw away from the Governor's mansion. The further north on that street you are the more expensive it gets. I'd be surprised if one can find a house in the 800-1100 block for under $700k. Yeah, real ghetto huh? Steele Road is another high-end neighborhood. That area is gorgeous but homes can be really expensive. The eastern part of WH that some people shy away from are south of Boulevard, and even this area is alright, there's more apartments and duplexes than homes and not as high-end but it's not unsafe.

I think that person you talked to has been living in the sticks a little too long. You know, I love Farmington Valley -- the towns, homes, schools and scenery are all great but IMO it's very white and kinda stodgy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knockin' the area and certainly not everyone is like that, but it's a different vibe.

WH and Simsbury are both great towns that have terrific schools and nice downtown areas, but that's where it ends. If you want to be surrounded by scenic, natural beauty and have a quaint downtown, then Simsbury is probably a better fit. If you'd prefer a more densely populated town with walkable neighborhoods and trendy hotspots, then you might like WH. Both places are close, so wherever you end up neither is a long drive away. Bottom line is, the area you're looking is great so you can't really go wrong wherever you end up.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:27 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
West Hartford is very different from Avon and Simsbury. It is a diverse mature suburban community with a lot to offer. Portions of West Hartford are somewhat urban in character while Avon and Simsbury are more rural. The schools in all three of these towns are excellent too.

West Hartford has a wonderful downtown and a great regional shopping mall. Plus it offers a wide range of housing options from modest rentals to mansions. It is very convenient to Hartford where Avon and Simsbury are more isolated. Note that traveling over Avon Mountain can be a challenge particularly in inclement weather.

Some people love the isolation of Avon and Simsbury because it gives the feeling of being away from it all. The major difference between Avon and Simsbury is that Avon is a bit more upscale whicle Simsbury offers a wider range of housing options. Simsbury has a small downtown but most major shopping is located along Route 44 in Avon. Only you can decide which town suits you more. Any of them would be great options. Jay

Old 11-24-2010, 09:02 AM

Thank you so much for your opinions! If you can think of anything else, please let me know!!! We have always lived near big cities - We have lived in El Paso, Memphis suburbs, Nashville suburbs, Indianapolis suburbs, Phoenix suburbs, Minneapolis suburbs....and I grew up in Michigan. I am now leaning toward W Hartford, although I really liked some of the Simsbury and Avon homes we saw...and, we got a big welcome from the Simsbury travel sports leagues when I contacted them for info for our 11 year old!! That was VERY nice!!

Old 11-24-2010, 09:20 AM

I have another question- my husband is working now in Windsor Locks. How is the commute from W Hartford, from Simsbury, and from Avon? Also -- I am involved in the arts-- I am a mixed media and fiber artist..also love the theater. W Hartford? Hubby and youngest son are sports fanatics...Chicago Bears, Bulls Blackhawks and Cubbies...

Old 11-24-2010, 12:10 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Since your husband will be commuting to Windsor Locks (I assume somewhere around the airport), I would recommend living north of West Hartford Center. This will allow him to use backroads to get to work rather than getting on highways that are always clogged with traffic.

The most convenient town would probably be Simsbury though. It is located further north than Avon or West Hartford and would have the easiest access particularly if you live in the northern part of town.

Hartford has a decent arts scene. Check out Real Arts Way or the Wadsworth. For theater there is Hartford Stage and Theaterworks, as well as the great shows that come to The Bushnell. There are also several small community style theaters nearby. Also check out the wonderful Goodspeed Opera House in East Hadaam. And you are only a 2 hour trip to Broadway for the very best in theater!

As for sports, we do not have any major league teams but Boston and New York are not far. Plus minor league teams here are great affordable fun and you really can not beat UConn basketball and football. Go Huskies! Jay

Old 11-24-2010, 01:54 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
Why not try Granby?
It would be an easy commute for your husband. It's just as rural/suburban feeling as Simsbury and Avon and also has very good schools.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:36 AM

418 posts, read 1,410,999 times
If you have a son who will be traveling for sports, you might want to avoid Simsbury-- Although it is a lovely town, it is more isolated than West Hartford (especially) and Avon (less so) and travel will take longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut