Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:09 AM

7 posts, read 23,606 times

Advertisements

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 11,659 times
Default Thanks Jay

Darn it now you have me re-thinking Glastonbury .

Is there any difference b/t Avon and Farmington (other than slightly higher taxes in Avon)??

Old 12-19-2007, 10:44 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Paul Mac - I did not mean to confuse you with Glastonbury, but it is a great town.

Farmington and Avon are both very nice too. Avon is a little more upscale than Farmington which is a little more diverse. It is probably the most upscale of the Hartford suburbs. Farmington has a bit more history to it with Farmington Center, Miss Porter's school and Unionville. Avon has a slightly more modern feel to it. Scools in both towns are considered excellent but Avon's have a slight edge most likely due to socioeconomic differences. Avon would be closer to the airport than Farmington though. Hope this helps. Jay

Old 12-19-2007, 01:13 PM

333 posts, read 467,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It should however be noted that Simsbury and Avon are separated from major shopping centers by Avon Mountain and that Glastonbury has easy access to highways so its residents can easily access major shopping and employment centers more readily.
All of this talk about Avon Mountain has got me thinking - I never found it to be as difficult to travel as many people claim. I used to work in the area and think it's a bit over the top to reconsider buying in Simsbury and Avon because of that one road. IMO, both towns are more quaint because of their geographical separation from Hartford.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:27 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post
All of this talk about Avon Mountain has got me thinking - I never found it to be as difficult to travel as many people claim. I used to work in the area and think it's a bit over the top to reconsider buying in Simsbury and Avon because of that one road. IMO, both towns are more quaint because of their geographical separation from Hartford.
It isn't just the one road, it is all of the roads. Route 4 is a nightmare with traffic, as is Route 20 through Granby. Route 185 isn't as bad but is very busy and does come down a mountain. And of course all of Connecticut knows of the problems on Route 44 over Avon Mountain. There really are no other choices to access this area.

I do not know if I would call the towns "quaint" because of this separation but it does kind of give the Valley a sort of "Shangra-La" feel. It is great if you work out there and do not need to leave the Valley during rush hour. But if you are like most of us and you need to commute to a job in Hartford or in some other town, it will be difficult. JMHO Jay

Old 12-19-2007, 07:02 PM

311 posts, read 1,824,362 times
I have to agree with jayCT on this one. Glastonbury has areas that are just as quaint as those towns if you call them that. East Glastonbury? South Glastonbury?? Don't really look much different these days than simsbury or avon in my opinion. Route 185 isn't bad except lets see....when the farmington river flooded this past spring? When a cop pulls someone over and traffic becomes a crawl? When its raining or snowing?? Its certainly not as bad as 44, but it has its challenges. Just my 30 cents worth....

Old 12-27-2007, 07:40 AM

98 posts, read 374,012 times
After reading all this and seeing how Glastonbury came out on top... I'm going to have to apologize to my husband for not believing him when he sang its praises. Everyone here seems well-informed about their surroundings. Makes me even more eager to buy a house in Glastonbury... which I will, in time

Old 02-18-2009, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 7,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeK View Post
Very interesting discussion here. How do Glastonbury, Avon, and Simsbury rate in terms of: 1) diversity; 2) attitudes towards non-whites; 3) stores and restaurants; and 4) better resales? Can someone give me an idea of which towns win which categories and some general info.? Thanks.
Yea i would like add for diversity In Glastonbury its 94% white 3 % Asian
1% island pacificer, 1% black, .5% Indian and .5% Hisapanics its almost the same for simbury and Avon, i think there would be a bigger black population though, in avon and Simsbury. All 3 towns are nice and Simsbury and Glastonbury Have the best schools in the whole county and bascially the best in all the counties in Northern CT. Glastonbury has a great Sports program, they win a couple state titles each year. But do becareful because they are very snobish towns. AS i know for Simsbury and Glastonbury 1 usually student is black or hispanic in the 22 kids per class room. Many hartford kids come to GHS and SHS to diversify the school, not the town. Many in both towns hate the idea and think its not fair for these kids to come to our schools and not have to pay the taxes we do.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:53 PM

16 posts, read 58,419 times
We live in West Hartford since April 08 and have been looking in Avon, Simsbury and Glastonbury as well. While Simsbury really is far away from everything Avon and Farmington is not as bad. The mountain is bad at rush hour but other than that it is really not a mountain, the real issue is the traffic-lights. I go to Farmington and Simsbury once a week and it has never been bad due to weather conditions. An accident like it has happened a couple of years ago could happen on every highway anytime. Avon has great schools and Simsbury gives you a real country side feel. I like West Hartford a lot though.....

Old 07-31-2009, 08:32 AM

28 posts, read 120,864 times
I know this is an old thread and might not be checked anymore, but I thought I'd try anyway. How would the commute be from South Windsor to Simsbury using 178 to 185? All the earlier talk about the dangerous mountain has me worried. Is this route safer than 10?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut